Thread: Just bought a Jon-E catalytic hand warmer

Just bought a Jon-E catalytic hand warmer

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just got one of these

I filled it with methylhydrate (wood alcohol/methanol) to avoid the odors of lighter fluid.

I'm really pleased with this thing, I wish I had known about them... since I was old enough to play in the snow. Best $15 I ever spent. And the methylhydrate was only $2.50/liter at walmart.
    Last edited by sketchbag; 10-07-2007 at 05:03 AM.

i used to have one many years ago. i only used lighter fluid in mine. after a while it seemed like the wick went bad or something and quit heating up properly.
    I offer professional knife sharpening 40 years of experience, 22 with the paper wheels. $1. per inch for a v edge, $2 for a convex. I sharpen all edges & "Ti" knives, serrations. plus i do regrinds. Check out my website.http://sites.google.com/site/richardjsknives/Home

We used those back in the 1970s, I also had one that used the solid fuel sticks, both worked pretty good!

My brother has a Zippo, uses lighter fluid, works great.

I bought one years ago for ice fishing. I could never get it to stay lit. I spent more time messing around with it than getting any heat from it.

Any tips?

Stay sharp,
    desmobob

would someone be interested in sharing how they work, also?

The "burner" contains a platinum coil which acts as a catalyst, converting the methanol into formaldehyde.
    Not exactly sure about the naphtha. They say the coil has a life of 5000 hours.

I havent tried this with lighter fluid so I cant really compare, but with methanol I only have to light the wick for a couple seconds and it'll kick up. It also takes several hours to "cool down" I disassembled it, left it sitting for about 1 hour, all the parts were cool to the touch, and when I replaced the burner it kicked back into action without even relighting it.

Here's some advice for those of you that I hunt..........don't place a jon-e in a coat pocket that also has shells in it. I made that mistake when I was younger and the heat from the jon-e actually bent the plastic hull of a 12 gauge shell in half and the shot fell out in my pocket. The good lord above made sure it didn't go boom but it still scared the hell out me.

Thread Information