ADVERTISEMENT
    Gerber A.S.E.K. Aircrew-Survival-Egress-Knife

specs:
    blade: 4.84"
    steel: 12C27 stainless
    Overall Length: 10.59"
    Weight: 11.39 oz.

Summary of test:

Cutting: The Gerber ASEK Peeled an apple easy enough for a survival knife of this type. I then sliced the apple getting some nice thin slices.

Plexiglass breaker: The Knife was used to break a 1/4" thick section of Plexiglass.One solid blow is all it took.

Cutting Sheet metal: The Gerber ASEK knife is designed and advertised to saw through sheet metal or an aircraft fuselage using the serrations . I placed an old oil drip pan made of medium gauge mild steel sheet metal in a holder. Then stabbed a hole and cut out a square section. the serrations did the job. It took some effort but it did work. No damage occurred to the serrations other then dulling. I was still able to cut 2 pieces of 10,000 lb webbing using the serrated portion with some effort.

Sheath Sharpener: The sheath has a built in sharpener. I used it once cut webbing then sharpened then cut. I repeated this several times. I was able to put a working edge back on the blade easily with the sharpener. A nice feature.
    http://knifetests.com/image/Gerber%2...t%203_0004.jpg

Batoning: I was able to split a 4x4 with ease. the ASEK is a very solid and ridged knife.

Chopping: The blade is only 4.84 inches long so chopping is not it's strength but you can do some light work with it if needed.

Tip Work: I dug a hole all the way through a 2x6. The tip on the ASEK is very strong and no tip breakage occurred.

Concrete:
    Only denting occurred during chopping. 12C27 steel is very chip resistant. I hammered the tip into concrete breaking it apart. No tip damage occurred other then slight blunting.

Hammer impacts:
    I placed the edge on to wood and hit the spine hard with a 3lb steel mallet. No blade breakage occurred on very minor denting was visible on the spine.

Concrete again:
    I hammered the edge through the concrete splitting the block. No blade failure.

Metal on metal:
    I hammered the edge into a 1/8" x 1.25" flat mild steel flat stock. I hit it hard many times. The blade broke in half failing to cut through the steel unlike the GI Tanto and the A1.

Tang side impacts:
    I placed the remaining portion of the blade in the vice and hit the handle with the lb mallet. It took some very heavy blows before the handle snapped off. Most are easy to break at this location. The K-Bar Heavy Bowie and the RTAKII did not break during this test.

Overall: The knife did well. It's both tough and functional. 12C27 Stainless Steel is very chip resistant. The grip on the ASEK is very large, secure and comfortable.

Videos are in 7 parts posted at www.knifetests.com

Enjoy the videos. They were made for you

nice work. i had that knife for awhile but i sold it. now i kinda regret it.

Thanks as always Noss. knife did better than I would expect from gerber. thanks.

Awesome.I might consider picking one up.

WOW it did quite well, awesome vids!

I've been wanting to see testing for this knife since I saw it. Although I'm not too big on Gerber, I would probably buy this knife after seeing this.

Thanks for the test!

Great work as always, noss. As far as the pommel goes, I recall Gerber's advertising mentioning it being isolated from the tang (shock absorbance or some such ). I'd like to see/hear more about how it's actually attached if you get a chance to tear it down further. All in all, I'm pretty damn impressed. It's good to see Gerber getting some props again.

thanks for the info

Your welcome men.

G. Scott H. I'll tear the handle down and post some photos soon.

Noss,
    Great review! So good ol' Gerber ain't that bad?

BTW, do you see the Battle Mistress on the horizon or the sky is still cloudy so to speak

so now the 12c27 fans can now stand up and sing so what do you think of me now!!!!

awesome. i've actually wanted one of these for a long time but fell to the BF zealots.

thanks noss. it's being transfered from the "migh be nice to have" list to the "gotta have" list.

Cool review, dude!
    Now try that with a pair of Gerber pliers!
    But seriously, it stands to reason that the LMFII ASEK should actually stand up to some pretty hard abuse considering that it's original intend and main purpose was to save lives.
    A really fine piece of destruction noss4!
    Was wondering of you could "do in" the sheath as well?
    Am very keen to know if it's just as indestructable, considering it's the only thing between the Aviator and a fine edge...

Nice review mate...did you end up testing any Busse knives yet?

reviews like yours are a major

reason I started studying here at bladeforums.
    Tell me though, I've got an original Gerber LMF...should I ditch it for the newer model--any merits to the original?
    Thanks

Most Gerbers are trash. This is one of the exceptions. It is made in the U.S. and is a quality piece. I picked one up yesterday to attach to my Maxpedition Fatboy for use of Fire Rescue scenes. I am way more impressed with this knife than I expected. It gets very shap and seems to hold an edge quite well.

Gerber LMF II Photos of handle broken down.

Your welcome everyone.

B]GIRLYmann:[/B] I don't have the sheath anymore I gave it away. It seems very tough but guessing it is. Is not an answer. Sorry, I would test it for you if I still had it.

Dachonkin: I don't know anything about the first LMF

vvk: I got word the FBM is almost ready. I hope not much longer.

G. Scott H. The but/glass breaker is separate from the tang as you can see in the above photo.

Nice work.

How does the Ontario A.S.E.K. compare to the Gerber LMF II A.S.E.K.? Any comparision testing?

I was going to get this one awhile back, but I heard nothing about bad things of gerber. I guess this is one to look into again. I could put it on my BOB. Thank for taking the time to post the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information