Thread: Another movie knife: Eye of the Needle

Another movie knife: Eye of the Needle

ADVERTISEMENT
    Eye of the Needle is an excellent WW2 spy thriller from 1980 (in case it is not well known) based on a Ken Follett novel. A knife features rather prominently in it (after all it, is the needle that the title referes to). Anybody know what knife it is or who made it?

I saw the movie years ago, and I think it looked like maybe some kind of special effects thing. I've never seen any real knife like it.

Donald Southerland does do a masterfull job though!

Actually, "needle" was Sutherland's character's code name. Remember him calling the U-boat on the radio, "singvogel, hier ist die nadel," or in English, "songbird, here is the needle?"

It's been too long for trustworthy memory, but I recall a left wrist sheath for a switchblade stiletto that looked like something from Beltrane or SKM in Italy ... good long blade, maybe 6 inch. I don't recall ever seeing Sutherland flick it open, but maybe I just forgot.

Great movie, and Sutherland was perfect for the part. Sorry, can't help with the knife, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LedSled View Post
    Actually, "needle" was Sutherland's character's code name.
    Well, yes, but it stands to reason that he earned that code name because of his favorite "tool". I think in the book there is even a reference to the connection between the code name and the blade. But there my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Yeah, it looked really long. I am not sure whether he flicked it open, but it is definitely not a sheath knife. In the first scene with the knife it looked a bit like an OTF auto to me.

Quick use of the search feature reveals: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ght=eye+needle

Thread Information