Page 556 of 557 FirstFirst ... 56456506546552553554555556557 LastLast
Results 11,101 to 11,120 of 11136

Thread: "Old Knives"

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    David Schott : Too many outstanding knives there to comment on any particular one . Just a beautiful collection Sir. Thank you for showing them .

Harry

I am right there with my friend Harry - Mr.Schott you have some very very nice knives, and yes I agree that Ibberson is something special all right- extremely nice find...

sisgh...one day I will be able to get an Ibberson like that, I did have an outstanding Ibberson folding Pruner - but I sent that to Robin ( Pipeman ) as he was collecting Farmers Jacks/Pruner type of Knives.

An often asked question...any initials inside the liners at all?

The Arched Stamped Pruner my friend?... who made that one- - Its a beaut for sure as are those two big Jacks Top righ - first Photo... The Big Old Rat's Tailed Bolstered Beaut next to that large Jack with the fancy Roped Bolster...Ok I started pointing out knives so I must stop - because each and every one is quite specatacular- the Ebonies never fail to impress ..........
    such as my mate Herder's STUNNING Ulster Jack...Mate!!!!! that my friend is a very very nice Knife - what a find!

North Shore...i find that I*XL interesting as Harry said - nice find, I love the early style Font used with the Stamping - yet the construction is not too old - Love to have a look more about that- it's so hard to find answers to the finer details of the Sheffields!

I was very lucky to score a nice Early Lockwood Bros. Stag handled Pruner the other day - Im very happy with it- so will post when I can.

Have a great day folks.
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

HARNESS JACKS AND A GOOD SCOUT- THAT’S WHAT IT’S ALL ABOUT

Quote Originally Posted by Campbellclanman View Post
    I am right there with my friend Harry - Mr.Schott you have some very very nice knives, and yes I agree that Ibberson is something special all right- extremely nice find...

sisgh...one day I will be able to get an Ibberson like that, I did have an outstanding Ibberson folding Pruner - but I sent that to Robin ( Pipeman ) as he was collecting Farmers Jacks/Pruner type of Knives.

An often asked question...any initials inside the liners at all?
    There is indeed a marking in the liner but I have no idea what it means. It seems to be VII...or "7" in roman numerals. No other markings on the liners. I wonder if anyone could say what that means?

I have a MUCH older ibberson lobster pattern that unfortunately has its main blade broken, too. I have no idea the page on this but the patina says at least 100 years:

Cool.
    The marking will most probably be the maker - I would have another look as there are folks here such as Charles, Jack etc who own such knives with the initials ( for example ) SS 77 = the famous Stan Shaw made in 1977.

Jack is an amazing help with all Sheffield things- let's hope he finds your posts 👍

You should research that Lobster some more - Geoffrey Tweedsdales books on Sheffields are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Campbellclanman View Post
    Cool.
    The marking will most probably be the maker - I would have another look as there are folks here such as Charles, Jack etc who own such knives with the initials ( for example ) SS 77 = the famous Stan Shaw made in 1977.

Jack is an amazing help with all Sheffield things- let's hope he finds your posts 👍

You should research that Lobster some more - Geoffrey Tweedsdales books on Sheffields are amazing.
    Here are some better pictures of the markings. One is a clear "7-" and the other I'm not so sure...VII? Its on both liners, once upside down.

You asked about the pruner in that second picture before, too. Everything in the second group picture is a Southington Cut. Co knife. I have some suspicions about the knife because the blade pin has been punched at some point in the past but I still enjoy it

Here are my only other Ibbersons. One is probably newer than belongs here and a plain knife the other came with an odd leather sheath and I cant tell if its bone, ivory or what. I think its been cleaned up at some point and I carry it all the time:

That's a very nice Ibberson and From where I am that looks to be Ivory - in Ivory will be at times a wavering pattern at times this is very easy to see and others perhaps in only one wee area of the scale - also look on the side ( cut edge ) or surface for the tiny wee teeny holes ( forget these vessel names ) bone has these Ivory does not.

I apologise in advance if you know what to look for - but to me the colouring and particular patterning of the colouring suggests strongly Ivory.

Those Swedges on the Ivory Ibberson are just beautiful- what a wonderful conditioned Ibberson you have there.

Sorry, I'm WAY behind with this thread Lovely Ibberson's Mr Schott. My guess for the VII would be that it related to a particular worker, my grandfather used VI on all his tools, as he was the firm's sixth employee, the 'No6 Hammer'. I'll try and remember to ask Stan Shaw if he knows. He's previously told me that the numbers weren't pattern numbers, and also that they only started using their initials in the time he was there, though I'm not sure about the latter, since I have knives with letters and numbers, which pre-date Stan starting. The stamps were only intended for use within the factory, so that cutlers didn't 'borrow' each others parts, so I think it would be perfectly reasonable for a cutler to use his works number, rather than his initials. I have a few myself with numbers which don't really give much away, and others without any marks. That's certainly a particularly beautiful knife

Wow. Lloyd, those Robesons are really nice.

Herder, that 872 folding hunter has some great stag on it.

I'm trying to suppress my covetousness.
    Last edited by CNoyes; 03-19-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Charlie Noyes
    De Oppresso Liber

Thought I'd add a little to the Robeson show.

I've been limiting my knife purchases to just Terrier knives lately and have, in fact, sold a good many of my Robeson knives, but this 3 5/8" Robeson MasterCraft whittler popped up on Ebay a short while ago. I put one of those, "this is absolutely the most I'll pay" bids on it and somehow managed to win it.

It's not mint by any stretch of the imagination. It has been used slightly and has a few sharpening marks on it and several scattered pits and spiders.

It still has a lot of original luster and the "NEV-R-BIND OIL-LESS BEARINGS" etch in a flowing banner on the master clip blade.

It's pattern number is 633659. Every MasterCraft knife I've seen has a pattern number ending in the 600 range.

Master blade stamp is ROBESON / ShurEdge / ROCHESTER, which has been dated 1922 - 1939.

There is a small secondary clip blade and a pen. The pen is stamped "PATENT / APP FOR", in two lines.

The nickel-silver liners are coined.

The handles are nicely jigged brown bone with a MASTERCRAFT shield. There are no worm grooves. There are no chips or cracks.

The MasterCraft line of knives were introduced 1929.

They had a bronze "U" shaped piece affixed to the rear of the tang that bore on the inner surface of the backspring.

I have never encountered this pattern before and at 3 5/8", it is one of the largest.

Enjoy.

Charlie Noyes
    De Oppresso Liber

Ha ha! I sold my Empire collection, but cannot resist a good deal on a good Empire!!
    Nice Whittler, Charlie N!! I haven't seen too many of those Mastercrafts. Maybe that is a factor of costly production?

Adding to the Ibberson discussion above, I acquired this Ibberson Navy knife with some I*XLs a week ago or so.
    It has "H - 45" stamped inside the liner. One assumes it was made by "H", in 1945 (stamped on the outside also)

To find my SFOs and the dealers who carry them, check my developing website at:
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

[IMG][/IMG]
    Honorary Guardian of the Lamb Foot.

An interesting J.M. Schmid 2 blade single layer congress with ebony scales and rattail bolsters.

Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    Adding to the Ibberson discussion above, I acquired this Ibberson Navy knife with some I*XLs a week ago or so.
    It has "H - 45" stamped inside the liner. One assumes it was made by "H", in 1945 (stamped on the outside also)

Those knives are commonly known as 'Burma Knives' Charlie. They were made for troops in the far east, towards the end of WW2 (and later), where there was a need for a stainless knife. Many Sheffield firms produced them. By coincidence, I was given one from 1945 on Thursday, made by Harrison Fisher, the edge of the blade is a bit of a mess though. The later ones have a different style of can-opener

Last edited by Jack Black; 03-19-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Adding pic

Wow, there are some beauties in this thread! Here are some finds from my local antique mall. An all stainless craftsman and an old Utica office knife. Both are in great shape and are tight. I feel like every time I come across an old craftsman the fit and finish is great and the price is usually great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Those knives are commonly known as 'Burma Knives' Charlie. They were made for troops in the far east, towards the end of WW2 (and later), where there was a need for a stainless knife. Many Sheffield firms produced them. By coincidence, I was given one from 1945 on Thursday, made by Harrison Fisher, the edge of the blade is a bit of a mess though. The later ones have a different style of can-opener

Do you need an Ibberson for your collection?
    To find my SFOs and the dealers who carry them, check my developing website at:
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

[IMG][/IMG]
    Honorary Guardian of the Lamb Foot.

Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    Do you need an Ibberson for your collection?
    I don't have an Ibberson in that pattern

Before:

After a thourough de-rustifying and bone graft:

A W Wadsworth & Son Germany
    }}}~33}º> The Most Honorable and Benevolent Order of Umberto <º{εεε~{{{
    ...............Order Of Osage .......... Go Raptors!................................

Nice save r8shell!!! That is something to be proud of and I believe future knife collectors will be grateful for your efforts.

Thanks, red!
    ...............Order Of Osage .......... Go Raptors!................................

Very NICE Rachel

An actual Bone Graf or epoxy fill of some sort??? Regardless, very nice end result
    Paul
    RIP Buddy Boy, gone but NEVER forgotten!!!
    PATRIOT NATION, SUPERBOWL XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLIX, LI CHAMPIONS

Quote Originally Posted by paulhilborn View Post
    Very NICE Rachel

An actual Bone Graf or epoxy fill of some sort??? Regardless, very nice end result
    Thanks, Paul. I filed a piece of scrap bone to fit and epoxied it in place.

Page 556 of 557 FirstFirst ... 56456506546552553554555556557 LastLast

Thread Information