Thread: Substitute for Ivory

Substitute for Ivory

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ok guys..and gals...(pc) I've got a couple projects going that I plan on using some of the blackest ebony I've ever found. Now I would like to find a good substitute for Ivory. Has anyone used corian as a replacement? And I'm not too crazy about Tague, if I can even use it...Suggestions?
    Thanks...Franco

My personal opinion is that if you have a nice piece of wood get a good piece of alternative ivory to go with it. Corian is a good utilitarian material but lacks character. To me it just looks like plastic.

I don't have experience working with different alternative ivories but if you don't find one of those you like you could use paper micarta. I think it looks better than the corian.

Just my opinion.

SDS

Elforyn. You can get .200 slabs from cue components. I just received a few and they look good but have not machined them or finished them yet.

Elforyn

Thanks John...I just looked up Blatts Billards in NYC and they sell it also. There is also a website for Elforyn and Elforyn.com. Looks promising..89% of the charactoristics of real ivory. They say it will polish up just like ivory...I think I will give it a try...Thanks Guys

me i like everything natural so tagua nuts are the way to go for me its very hards and deffinantly has character but will burn

The synthetic ivory from the knife supply companies is very nice. Polishes like a dream. really looks like ivory,too.
    Stacy
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Has anyone ever used any of this Tru-Ivory? http://www.truivory.com/truivoryknives.htm

Could anyone post some pics or post links to knives with some of these materials? I have seen Phillip Patton's corian handled knife. The nice thing about corian is its cheap and there is lots of it. I use alot of bone but it does present lots of problems. What I am looking for is something at least 3/4 thick that can be carved. I would like to get big pieces for some stacked handles. Maybe even a whole stick tang handle out of one piece. Most of this type stuff is to thin for that.
    Thanks

If you don't want to use ivory, maybe mother of pearl. I know its a little off theme but I would rather go all natural if your timber is that good.

peter

Once you remove all the texture from antler and polish it,you get some very nice affects.Being a natural material,every piece is unique.
    Makin' knives at the speed of satisfaction!!
    [problem is, I'm never satisfied!]

Thanks Guys, seems we're getting some good information here. I've heard of Tagua Nut but I couldn't find any sources when I was looking. I know they make corian in an ivory color but then I drift away from natural materials...plenty food for thought...Thanks Franco

You can get tagua nuts from Lee Valley Tools though it is probably better suited to making insets than the whole handle.

www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32719

Quote Originally Posted by fitzo View Post
    Has anyone ever used any of this Tru-Ivory? http://www.truivory.com/truivoryknives.htm
    I've been wondering about this product too. Anyone have any feedback they would like to share ? It looks more like the real thing than any faux product I've seen yet. One think I love about real Ivory is the way it ages. The tru ivory seems to replicate the look perfectly.

I've seen moose horn crowns been sold as substitutes.
    I don't know if they are any good?

https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.ph...roducts_id=186

FWIW, I contacted Tru-Ivory and inquired about knifemaker size pieces that are available and cost thereof. They responded really quick and said there are three standard sizes - .25 x 1.5 x 5, .375 x 1.5 x 5 and .5 x 1.5 x 5. They are $37.50, $56.26 and $75 respectively, for a pair of knife scales. Custom sizes are available too. Not too bad cost wise. I've wondered long enough about this stuff and think I'll give it a try. I'll post results when I've had the opportunity to work with it.

In regards to the moose crown I'll bet that would look great. I've worked with some really dense antler in the past for beads and little trinkets. As long as I stayed away from the soft center (pith?) it buffed up really nice and with the exception of the grain looked quite similar to ivory. Well..... it was ivory white anyway , hard and shiny too

Thanks David...that stuff sounds pretty interesting also. Looks like I have more options that I expected. I wonder if Tru-Ivory is simular to Elfryn. Oh well, now I have to make up my mind on which to try first! Franco

David, that's good info. Thanks for calling them! From what I read, they're available in several shades, too. I may well give it a try, too.

Anyone have any idea if we can buy those moose crowns from Brisa without some kind of DNR stink here in the US?

A lot of the wood carving suppliers sell them (they make great belt buckles, and relief carvings). Also check out the Native American craft suppliers. Ebay is usually full of them,too.There is no problem with moose antler products that I know of in the USA.
    Stacy

Mike, I've got a couple in the cabinet left over from some past projects. I may have some on the antler stock in the shop,too. If you need one or two, let me know.
    Stacy
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Quote Originally Posted by bladsmth View Post
    Mike, I've got a couple in the cabinet left over from some past projects. I may have some on the antler stock in the shop,too. If you need one or two, let me know.
    Stacy

Thanks for the very kind offer, Stacy! If I get to where I can use it, I will let you know and see if the offer still stands. I'd hate to take one and let it lanquish. I appreciate your kindness.

Thread Information