Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PSK knife thread

Hogging off steel on a belt grinder in (Gods Country) MD.

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Nice action pics! One thing I'd like to hear about over time is how well the cord wrap is holding up.

Here's one of the first PSK knives I made 2 years ago. Jigged bone scales. It has made hundreds of slices in cardboard. I used it at work almost every nite one year.
    Scott

Last edited by Gossman Knives; 03-30-2008 at 06:30 PM.
    Gossman Knives, Wilderness Tools
    Built with American Pride in the USA
    www.gossmanknives.com
    Tusker User Group #01

I absolutely love the handle on that one, Scott. It's perfect for that knife.

Also, I "second" the praise of the sharp-edged spine on the PSK. A knife like this is one that is very likely to be used with a ferro-rod. I know I have already and it throws great sparks with little effort.

Jeff, last issue of Tactical Knives, Dan Shechtman showed a PSK knife in his Survival Column about knives used to srtike ferro rods.
    Scott
    www.gossmanknives.com
    Tusker User Group #01

Quote Originally Posted by Gossman Knives View Post
    Jeff, last issue of Tactical Knives, Dan Shechtman showed a PSK knife in his Survival Column about knives used to srtike ferro rods.
    Scott
    I noticed that! It was one of the hundred little reminders that I needed to get one.

Here's my new addition. Got this PSK about a week ago. These are before and after photos. The first one is when I just got it and went out to the back yard to play. The second is after I went to town with some paracord.

Nice! What color cord wrap? looks like orange?
    Scott
    www.gossmanknives.com
    Tusker User Group #01

Scott, love the jigged bone, I want it orrey, nice wrap job
    I am waiting for the original cord wrap to show some signs of wear so that I can try my hand at wrapping the handle Seems to me that I will be going a whole season before this is even necessary. I think I'll make it an annual maintenance thing, allowing me to clean up the handle a bit underneath the wrap. I cut the veggies after using the knife to split wood, still razor sharp and not needing even a quick strop. I would say that Scott has his heat treat right

Quote Originally Posted by Gossman Knives View Post
    Nice! What color cord wrap? looks like orange?
    Scott
    Thanks, the handle is light brown, the neck cord is foliage green and the lanyard is green and green camo. I have way to much paracord.

Anybody got a source for different color paracord? Kinfekits.com has some but they want $0.39 a foot. Seems a bit high.
    Scott
    www.gossmanknives.com
    Tusker User Group #01

Connecticut surrounded by liberals unfortunately
    Scott,

Check out www.supplycaptain.com He has a lot of different colors and fair pricing.

As for how the 550 cord holds up, I have a set of boot laces I made from some in 1982 (26 years ago) which have outlasted five pairs of boots. The first pair was re-soled twice before giving up so that's sort of sven pairs of boots.

I slid the loop off that goes over the butt to baton my PSK into a piece of "spoon wood" so I didn't beat the cord in two (double curves are hard to split from the end). Anyway, it loosened up my wrap so I have to redo it. Not sure how it holds up to batonning.

I think some of the flashy colors would be cool - Blaze Orange, Red, Emergency Yellow, etc. At least it would be hard to loose and you could change it if you got tired of it.

My favourite paracord colour is ACU camo. Got it from Countycomm. Doesn't show dirt, goes well with my favourite colour, OD, and its a nice beefy cord with lots of filling. Also like Desert camo, which reminds me of diamondback rattler snakeskin somehow.

Now I just need a PSK and I'll be set!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalohump View Post
    .......goes well with my favourite colour, OD,..........
    And I thought I was the only one!

I can tell my wife I am am not such a "unique individual" after all!

Here's an option for balancing a handle-heavy knife with a short blade on a thin belt. I wear thin web belts and they like to twist with a knife like the PSK. To get the mounting holes higher without permanently locking the knife into the sheath with the top rivet, I formed the back flat and used a short rivet through the back only - through a clearance hole in the front. .080" OD Kydex with a generous "weep hole" in the back. This one snaps in with some authority, glides out smoothly yet locks the PSK in solidly. The PSK handle makes solid retention a "snap" - literally. The rig rides almost an inch lower than the one beside it and, best of all, it REALLY shows off that sexy PSK blade!

These PSKs are very adaptable and are well suited to dozens of carry options. I want to make some leather sheaths for neck-carry and pocket-carry.

Great work! It looks fantastic and top quality.

hey Jeff, want a job? You really do some awesome kydex work.
    Scott
    www.gossmanknives.com
    Tusker User Group #01

Wow, nice looking sheaths Jeff

GUYS! - I was late getting to work today!
    I couldn't get my inflated head in my car!!

Thanks. I appreciate the comments - a lot.
    I have some minor chages to the one shown - to complement the brass pins in the PSK, I am going to replace the top rivet with an annealed one and use brass screws. Last night I had forgotten I had brass screws. I am also going to reheat the top-back lip and flare it slightly back to funnel the front edge of the PSK handle into the sheath.

The PSK design is very compatible with Kydex. It also provides a very good place to lock solidly onto it and still allow smooth insertion and extraction. The "Jr." and "Sr." possess this same characteristic. Now I am going to have to buy one of each of those to play with.

If you mess with Kydex and see a feature you like on what I have done, please feel free to incorporate it with your ideas. This is a good "melting pot" to throw ideas together to come up with the best carry options. Maybe between us we can come up with something worthy of the knife itself. I think a Kydex/Leather "carry option set" would be great. We have a great pocket-sheath design already submitted by IUKE12. What else can we do?

Who is going to spearhead the "creative cord-wrap" project? I need help there.

great looking work jeff...

Thanks, Mike.
    I think you have one of my sheaths, don't you? A red one?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information