Thread: Chubby Hueske

Chubby Hueske

ADVERTISEMENT
    Can someone tell me any info. about knifemaker, Chubby Hueske? (deceased)..there's a hunter on Nordicknives that has caught my attention!.
    Thanks,
    David
    2knife@excite.com

Chubby was one of the founding members of the Knife Makers Guild.He was a prominent maker in the 60's,70's, and early 80's.Made straight knives using the stock removal method.Primarily used D2(probably the first maker to use it) also 440-C and 154 CM. Fit and finish were excellent. His knives show up regularly on the secondary market and seem reasonably priced for collectors of the early makers.

His knives were very well made and he was very knowledgeable about how his knives were to be used. I ordered a custom knife from him in the late 70's. I spent a good deal of time talking with him about what I wanted in a knife and how it would be used. He was great to deal with and the knife was exactly what I expected. I have used it often and have never been disappointed. It is a keeper. I don't know if he did this with all his customers, but he asked me to send him a picture of me holding the knife with the first deer I dressed with it. I did. It would be interesting to know if there was an album somewhere with all his customers and their knives in it.

Thank you gentlemen, for the Information. Harry, do you happen to know when he stopped making knives, and who was most influencial in his style. The search i did said he made his first knife in 1938, could that be right? .. going back a ways.
    David

I really don't know when he made his first knife. I have seen it stated that it was as far back as 1936. Some makers like to push that date back as far as they can, so I don't usually put much credit in "first knife" dates. I really don't have much information on his later years, but I understand that he got sick and passed away in the early 80's. I liked his earlier stick handle knives better than the slab handles he started making. He made those knives with a narrow ricasso and no choil. He carried his hollow grind up to the back of the blade and used a big wheel. These are style elements of his knives I still like and they work very well for a hunting knife that is designed to be used. Many of the knives my brother and I make today are influenced by Mr. Huesky.

Harry,
    Thank you again. You pay him a very nice compliment saying his work continues to have influence with your knives, i think he would be well-honored knowing that.
    David

Only knew Chubby slightly, but know his Daughter well. Just spoke with her and she said that Chubby started making knives in the mid-60's. He also made a number of custom rifle stocks, I'm not sure if he sold them or not, but I remember seeing him working on some in his "shop" (garage) in 1980 or so. They were pretty nice! Daughter just texted me that he would have been 11 in 1939, so I think we can rule that starting date out. My Dad had one Chubby, along with some Jimmy Lyles.

Thread Information