Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KME Sharpener

KME Sharpener

ADVERTISEMENT
    Anyone heard of this setup? Better yet, anyone have a review posted? I'm really interested in this system since I have an irregular bladed S30V knife thats REALLY hard to reprofile, especially with only a Spyderco Sharpmaker. This KME setup looks like I could really grind away a good back bevel and profile a lot thinner edge that I have been. I tried searching the forum but came up empty. SOrry if there has already been a thread on it.

http://www.kmesharp.com/

Let me know!

Let’s see if we can find the right forum …

There have been a few posts on the KME in the past that were positive, no real reviews that I can recall though. You might want to take a look at the DMT Magna Guide, which I use, which serves the same purpose but looks quite a bit simpler and possibly more effective. I've done alot of edge grind angle reductions with it and it's quite a good product with tremendous versatility. Might want to give it a look see before spending your dime on a relatively unknown product.

http://www.dmtsharp.com/press/dmgef.htm

NJ

I've got a KME and have been real happy with it. It's a well thought out, well made device that is a pleasure to use. The angle is infinitely selectable between 17 and 30 degrees. I bought the diamond kit that uses the DMT stones, a plus in my estimation.

They didn't have the base available when I purchased mine. I see that they have one now. I will definitely buy the base. After using the sharpener for awhile it gets uncomfortable hanging onto it with no additional support.

As with any guided rod type system it works best on shorter blades, but that's what I use it on and it does a great job.

The video they have on their website explains how to use it fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin View Post
    I've got a KME and have been real happy with it. It's a well thought out, well made device that is a pleasure to use. The angle is infinitely selectable between 17 and 30 degrees. I bought the diamond kit that uses the DMT stones, a plus in my estimation.

They didn't have the base available when I purchased mine. I see that they have one now. I will definitely buy the base. After using the sharpener for awhile it gets uncomfortable hanging onto it with no additional support.

As with any guided rod type system it works best on shorter blades, but that's what I use it on and it does a great job.

Thanks.... I have an S30V blade that is a BEAR to reprofile. I'm assuming this setup would allow not only a razor edge sharpening but also would be fairly easy to reprofile even a harder steeled blade?

What do you think? Reprofiling my S30V mini-skirmish is impossible on a Sharpmaker!

The DMT diamond stones make short work of the harder steels. I've reground a few S30V blades and it was fairly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin View Post
    They now have their longer video broken in two pieces, one for the knife sharpener and one for the broadhead sharpener.

If you have an older windows version and do not have windows media 11, you can also see the videos here: Click here for videos

/disclaimer: not associated to KME
    //did order the stones knife sharpener today.
    ///will provide feedback once I get it and work it on some knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    They now have their longer video broken in two pieces, one for the knife sharpener and one for the broadhead sharpener.

If you have an older windows version and do not have windows media 11, you can also see the videos here: Click here for videos

/disclaimer: not associated to KME
    //did order the stones knife sharpener today.
    ///will provide feedback once I get it and work it on some knives.
    Looking forward to your opinion of the product. Looks very interesting.

Looks like I will be trying the KME out. I will post a review after some testing.

I have a 10" Chicago Cutlery that I am working on bringing down to a nice shallow angle with the GATCO. I will have to see how the KME compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard H2O View Post
    Looks like I will be trying the KME out. I will post a review after some testing...
    Looking forward to your review.

Looks like I will be trying the KME out. I will post a review after some testing.

I have a 10" Chicago Cutlery that I am working on bringing down to a nice shallow angle with the GATCO. I will have to see how the KME compares.
    I have a 10" Chef wide that I was interested in trying on the KME. Looking forward to your review.
    I emailed KME about the limitations on blade sizes. Ron said it can handle the 10" blade. It's limitation is in spine width, nothing more than .25" (1/4"). The chef knife I have isn't even close

My GATCO can handle the 10" chef I have. It is just taking a bit of work to get it down to the angle I want.

I am interested to compare the marketing points on the website for the KME versus my own use.

My initial assumptions are that there will be advantages and disadvantages. I am assuming that I will be able to sharpen as well as I can on the GATCO.

I am unsure if I will be getting the diamond stones or the standard stones.

I am also curious as to the advantages to having a single stone holder that clamps a stone rather than a stone glued to a holder with a rod for every holder. I have a couple of badly dished stones (extra coarse and coarse) from the GATCO. I am going to have to order new ones. They come with the holder and rod. No need to change the stones out of any holders.

[QUOTE=Hard H2O;5459378]
    I am unsure if I will be getting the diamond stones or the standard stones.
    I bought a DMT 4 x 10 F/XF with holder. Thought I could do my kitchen knives freehand. I think I am just messing them up. Can't seem to get them sharp. That is why I was thinking of trying the KME.

I bought a DMT 4 x 10 F/XF with holder. Thought I could do my kitchen knives freehand. I think I am just messing them up. Can't seem to get them sharp. That is why I was thinking of trying the KME.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocaw View Post
    My kitchen cutlery is fairly pedestrian. My favorite is a 8" (I think) white handled Santuko that I bought at Sam's Club. I have the same in a boner, fillet, and 4 parers.

I took the Santuko down to 15° with the GATCO. It slices like a lazer. Tomatos quake in fear when I slip the Santuko out of the block.

I know the GATCO works. The KME and the Lansky are very similar. I amsure any of them will work for you.

I am curious if I can get stones for the KME similar to the extra fine and ultimate finishing ones that I got from GATCO. They really refine and polish the edge before going to the strop.

One thing about sharpening with a guided system is that you learn about the mechanics of sharpening and if you think about the stone and the steel while you are working it might lead to better skills at freehanding.

The difference between freehanding and rod guided is that you are replacing the hands, wrists and elbows with mechanical clamps, rods, guides. You gain precision.

After awhile you see that precision is a tad overated when it comes to knife edge bevels. As long as they meet it is all a matter of how much you refine your edge bevels and how you remove the burr.

One thing about sharpening with a guided system is that you learn about the mechanics of sharpening and if you think about the stone and the steel while you are working it might lead to better skills at freehanding.

The difference between freehanding and rod guided is that you are replacing the hands, wrists and elbows with mechanical clamps, rods, guides. You gain precision.

After awhile you see that precision is a tad overated when it comes to knife edge bevels. As long as they meet it is all a matter of how much you refine your edge bevels and how you remove the burr.
    Getting the burr is what I think I am having trouble with. Also my bevels are not equal from side to side. That is why I was thinking of trying the guided system.

Getting the burr is what I think I am having trouble with. Also my bevels are not equal from side to side. That is why I was thinking of trying the guided system.

With the guided system I use my bevels are very even side to side and choil to tip.

I do not think a large burr is needed if at all. All you need to do is make the two sides meet.If you are generating a large burr that to me is a sign that you are removing too much material and shortening blade life.

Thanks for the replies...

Ideally I'd like to get a system that will allow me to both re-profile and maintain razor edges in an easy to carry and setup system for all types of blades...thats why I love my SM kit I thought about just getting some 204D diamond rods for my Sharpmaker and calling it a day. Anyone have any experience with these diamond rods from Spyderco for re-profiling S30V?

Another issue I have is that I would like to also have some normal Arkansas whetstones but since my Mini-Skirmish has a recurve blade, I can't very well use normal sharpening systems (can I?).

Thanks again ...

I got the KME today. Thanks Ron.

It looks nicer than the pics on the site.

I hope to try it this weekend.

The stones sent with the kit include an extra coarse silicon carbide, coarse aluminum oxide, medium aluminum oxide, hard Arkansas, plus coarse, fine, and extra fine diasharp hones.

So I have seven stones to play with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information