Thread: heat treating 5160

heat treating 5160

ADVERTISEMENT
    I am heat treating a new bade out of 5160, 8 inch blade, 1 1/2 tall, 1/4 inch spine, flat grind. Who has heat treated this steel and can you give a short explanation of what you did? I am using a two burner forge.
    What type of quenchant do you use?
    How long to soak in the forge?
    Will you get a "hamon line" ?
    What temp to temper at? how long?

Thanks
    Mark

here is an article by Ed Caffrey about making a 5160 blade that passes the JS test. http://www.caffreyknives.net/journeymanarticle.html

thank you, I have searched this forum, but really could not seem to come up with anything before I asked,
    Thanks again
    Mark

I think 5160 needs 1525 for about 20 minutes then oil for best results. then a 400 temper. I have gotten a Harmon line using ATF as a quench. !525 is quite a bit above non magnetic, but I think you need it because of the chrome. Sure others know more than me. Jim

I wouldn't go for the ABS test heat treat for anything other than the ABS test, personally. Even many master smiths have said it's a test to see if you can make a knife in a particular way, not a test to see if you can heat treat "the best" way.

I don't use 5160, so I'm not the best for answering the question, just wanted to say do due dilligence before using a particular method.

Quote Originally Posted by AcridSaint View Post
    I wouldn't go for the ABS test heat treat for anything other than the ABS test, personally. Even many master smiths have said it's a test to see if you can make a knife in a particular way, not a test to see if you can heat treat "the best" way.

I don't use 5160, so I'm not the best for answering the question, just wanted to say do due dilligence before using a particular method.
    ok, thats good to know, I thought that the whole purpose of the test is to make it the best.

Well, the purpose is to make a knife that's the best at passing the test. I read one J.S. or M.S. (can't remember now) who said he was told that the test knife should be considered a custom order. It's not the knife you's supposed to make every day, it's a "if you're a master, you should be able to make -this-" sort of a thing.

On the Caffrey page linked above, he also suggests that the method be used only for a test knife. Although it's not entirely clear why, here's what he wrote:

"I recommend edge quenching ONLY on a blade that will be used for something as important as the ABS JS test."

Personally, I'd go with a through quench on any steel that I wasn't specifically trying to get a pattern on.

Hi Cap,
    I believe that quote is to allow a bit of a safety margin to pass the bend test. Getting to that point assumes someone is still a go.

Take care, Craig

Sorry, kinda repeated your earlier thoughts.

Thread Information