Thread: Review: Mora 612 (Half Guard)

Hanging off a post in a cornfield in Ohio

Review: Mora 612 (Half Guard)

ADVERTISEMENT
    Yup, another Mora knife review. This one is for Eriksson's model 612. It's like the Utility knives they make, but has a half guard. It will run you about $12 in stores. Here we go...

Handle Specifications and Impressions: The 612 has a birch wood handle, painted the familiar red that we've come to see on almost all the wooden-handled Moras. It is 4.25" long and of a smoother surface, as opposed to the rougher finish that Frosts' Moras have. The blade goes all the way through the handle, but is not exposed. The butt of the knife has the distinct "crosshairs" indentations that you see on wooden-handled Moras. The ferrule is nickel silver if I'm not mistaken, as is the half guard. The half guard is a little under half an inch long, and is slightly rounded at the end. It does a very nice job of keeping your fingers off the blade when cutting. To prevent corrosion, I polished the ferrule and half guard with simichrome polish and then coated them with clear nail polish. The handle is pretty comfortable, but just a tad short for my hands. I might roughen up the handle for better grip, as the smoother wood seems to get very slippery when wet. The swell in the handle does a nice job of keeping the knife in your hand, though.

Blade Specifications and Impressions: The 612's blade is made of carbon steel hardened to 59-60 Rockwell, and is 4.13" long. The left side is blank, while the right side has MORA over OF SWEDEN next to the Mora logo, and under this says CARBON STEEL. Like all Moras, the edge runs the entire length of the blade. It terminates in a clip point, and takes and holds a very sharp edge. I haven't tested the knife extensively, but it seems to take everything I've thrown at it so far. Io problems were expected, and none were encountered. The larger blade is quite a bit more useful than the standard Utility knife, and although the blade is only .13" longer on this, I think the blade length and half guard do a great job at making this knife seem bigger than it is.

Sheath Impressions: This knife comes with the standard black plastic sheath with the flimsy belt loop. It has a cut-out along the side to allow the guard to lock in. This cut is on the one side only; if you're looking at the front of the sheath, it's on the left-hand side. There's not much else to say about it, except that it does its job of keeping the blade safely off your body until you're ready to use it. It locks in pretty safely. I would normally wrap a Ranger band around the sheath at the top, but the slot in the side prevents this.

This review will have to be continued later when I've had the chance to test the knife more rigorously, but for now I'll say that it is well worth the $12 you'll spend on it. Maybe twice as much.
    Last edited by JNieporte; 04-10-2008 at 11:48 AM.

i wanted to ask before i bought one;
    will the guard come looose if i use this knife hard in the woods? from the pictures i've seen the guard looks like its not soldered or welded in place. it's just held in place between the handle $ blade, right?

Hanging off a post in a cornfield in Ohio
    I haven't had any trouble with the guard. The guard isn't welded or anything, at least not that I can tell. If it's held in place simply by the friction of the blade and handle, then it's in there pretty tight. It doesn't wiggle at all, even after a bit of stabbing.

Thread Information