Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Fanny Pack?

Best Fanny Pack?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm looking for a new fanny pack to use on day hikes in the wilderness. I want one I can carry a water bottle on as well as my revolver (S&W Mod. 360 Airlite .357) and my knife (Falkniven F1). I've looked at Maxpedition, Blackhawk, Kirafu, and Cabelas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    (I think you misunderstand the meaning of the jerk-it smiley.)

So enlighten me oh great wizard

Quote Originally Posted by go2ndAmend View Post
    So enlighten me oh great wizard
    You are not really making a great first impression...

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...4&idproduct=26

Why not get a proper backpack? There are some really nice ones to choose from!

Fanny packs (in my opinion) make people look weird!

Pick out a nice backpack and it'll last you years, make you real happy!

Get yourself a camelback with the external pockets, put the knife on your belt, and carry your pistol either small of your back, or a shoulder rig. I am a firm believer in layering equipment, not putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak. That way if you had to ditch you camelback (or waist pack) your not ditching all your gear. FYI I have tried both, and my camelback is what I keep coming back to. In my opinion camelbacks are the best way to carry the most amount of water.

Fanny packs a little small for me. You should have been around about 4-5 months ago when you could still get your hands on Maxpedition Devildog butt packs. Actually... you may still be able to find them. They have a good sized main compartment, and dual Nalgene holders. Plus, if you get sick of wearing it as a butt pack, you whip out the shoulder strap and it becomes a messenger bag.

If fanny pack is really what you're after, however, then I second the Maxpedition Proteus link that MrPink posted. Either that or the Cheaper Than Dirt knockoff which is most of the pack for a fraction of the price. You don't have the luxury of a bottle holder, but you can fix that with any number of dedicated bottle holders. Or hell, just carabiner a bottle to the thing.

Here's a great post that shows both the Proteus, and the CTD counterpart. Note the guy with the CTD one has a separate bottle holder:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...hlight=proteus

Otherwise, hydration packs a good way to go. Check out the Camelbak Goblin. It's specifically designed for concealed carry.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by go2ndAmend View Post
    I'm looking for a new fanny pack to use on day hikes in the wilderness. I want one I can carry a water bottle on as well as my revolver (S&W Mod. 360 Airlite .357) and my knife (Falkniven F1). I've looked at Maxpedition, Blackhawk, Kirafu, and Cabelas. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I was in your same predicament 3 weeks ago. For quite a while, I was looking to invest in a fanny/lumbar pack. I looked at many models: Maxpedition DevilDog & Versipack; Mountainsmith Tour & Day; and Kelty Hawkeye, Cardinal, and Kestrel models.

I finally went with the Kelty Hawkeye. 800 cubic inches, plenty of space. However.....

I recommend not looking at a specific pack, but assembling your survival/urban/"oh crap the world is ending" kit FIRST....THEN buying the pack accordingly to fit your needs. That is what I did and it worked out for my needs best. Don't just buy a pack to buy a pack, plan accordingly, assemble your list of items, then get to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimspoon View Post
    Why not get a proper backpack? There are some really nice ones to choose from!

Fanny packs (in my opinion) make people look weird!

Pick out a nice backpack and it'll last you years, make you real happy!
    I always thought I was wierd, now I know I am......I love my Maxpedition Proteus !

The Maxpedition Proteus is my favorite as well.
    You can put a mini Rollypoly or 10x4 on the waistbelt for a water bottle carrier.
    If you like the larger packs, you should feast your eyes on the Maxpedition Sabercat. Sweeeet pack. Pricey, but awesome. It will be my next acquisition I think.

Pitdog,
    Is that side pouch, next to your lighter, an addition to the Proteus, or does it come that way? I'm about to throw the switch on one myself. Looks like a great little pack for shorter day hikes. Not too big. Not too small.

Maxpedition makes great stuff. I have a couple backpacks from them, but no fanny pack.

My last purchase was deciding between the Maxpedition pack Pitdog posted and the Mountainsmith Tour.

I ended up chosing the Tour, and I love it. The waist belt if very comfortable.

I love backpacks, and I have a couple good ones. But, I also like the freedom on not having anything on my back and shoulders. I use both, just depends on the situation.

Thank you all for the great advise, and Pitdog; very nice looking rig. Who did the Kydex work, especially for the Bic? P.S. I still don't know the meaning of the "jerk-it" icon; any help?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    Pitdog,
    Is that side pouch, next to your lighter, an addition to the Proteus
    yes it is, I sometimes carry a phone pouch and/or a tube sheath there

L.L. Bean carries at least a couple of "trail lumbar packs." You might have a look.

My biscuit would love for you to join the Fans of Becker Knives Group and the Fans of Ka-Bar Knives Group.

"You gotta step out onto the fringe of fear, where all growth happens, and roll the dice. " - some Oregonian

I have a Mountainsmith lumbar pack. The model I have is the previous version of the Cairn. It is something like 1100ci and came with a shoulder strap to carry it messanger bag style. I found that it was a little heavy fully loaded with just the hip belt so I added the stapettes and made it into more or a backpack. It was my the first pack I used for SAR work. It is currently seeing duty as a diaper bag/carry my lunch, books etc bag. I've had it for 5 years and it is still in great shape.
    I just went to Mountainsmiths websire and apparantly it has been discountinued.
    This is close in size.
    http://www.mountainsmith.com/product...bCategory2Id=0
    Strapettes
    http://www.mountainsmith.com/product...bCategory2Id=0

Just found this. Don't know how many they have left but they are a great price.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/MS5013

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_L View Post
    yes it is, I sometimes carry a phone pouch and/or a tube sheath there
    Thanks Andy.

I have a maxpedition devildog and while I like the size, I dislike the way it rides as a lumbar bag. I used it last week as a shoulder bag, but would rather use a backpack. I have several of the cheaper-than-dirt butt packs and they're great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information