Thread: DMT Sharpening Stones

DMT Sharpening Stones

ADVERTISEMENT
    These things rock.

i've used a 325 grit and a 1200 grit continuous diamond stone, and they cut so fast.... you can do so much work with these...

they're working with a new thin flexible "stone" its like .015" thick with the different grits avaiable.... i'm going to try to remeber to bring mine into the shop this week and cut a piece to flex onto an 8" sanding block for hollow grinds. i'm dying to see how well it works.... talk about not wasting sand paper anymore.... i bet you can hand sand in no time. This should rock.

anyone here use these stone? i picked mine up from Howard Schechter at Theperfectedge.com

awesome customer service and very knowledgeable. proceed with caution you might end up buying one of his 4000/8000 grit combo belgian hones....

Syracuse NY, Will the last employed worker please turn out the lights?
    I am all DMT, I used to sharpen for restaurants locally and got the complete set of colored plastic based ones all the way from the black super coarse to the green extra fine, I found that most restaurant workers destroy the house knives, but with the DMT set I could reset the edge and bring even the worst beat up blade up to shaving sharp in a short enough time to actually make money doing it, I also use the DMTs to hand lap my flat grinds on anything important.
    Got two continuous diamond ones from Howard at Ashokan, I love them!

-Page

Page

I had heard that after some use, the plastic based perforated dieamond sharpeners will have diamond chip out problems, and that they can get permanently loaded up and stop cutting...

Any truth to these, or are they merely marketing for more traditional style abrasive stones?

Syracuse NY, Will the last employed worker please turn out the lights?
    My first blue one which got the most serious heavy duty use has a 2 inch long by 1/16 inch shiny strip at the edge in the middle of both sides from where forged bolstered knives with no choil eventually (pushing from the side where there are no diamonds) ate away the surface slightly, the rest of the surface is fine. Maybe it is a little less agressive than it was when it was new, but at $5.00 per blade I made several thousand dollars using that stone for the bulk of the work to sharpen restarant knives, it was certainly a great investment. I have to make a holder for the continuous diamond stones I have (they are too thin to easily stabilize without some sort of holder) but I expect that they will serve me as well. I've tried the traditional stones, I have a collection of the traditional "arkansas" stones, manmade "india" stones, Japanese water stones (the whole concept of a surface that's supposed to constantly dish out into a slurry as you use it seems counterproductive to the idea of achieving and maintaining consistant edge geometry but some people swear by them. I swore AT them) and I now use the DMT exclusively, I've even used them for leveling 2 dents in the flame hardened ways on my metal lathe that were causing minor tooling "jumps"
    I always use the DMTs with water (sometimes I will add a touch of dish soap) if I remember I wipe them with a paper towel to dry them when I am done

-Page

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Zawacki View Post
    Page

I had heard that after some use, the plastic based perforated dieamond sharpeners will have diamond chip out problems, and that they can get permanently loaded up and stop cutting...

Any truth to these, or are they merely marketing for more traditional style abrasive stones?
    I've used my DMT hones for a decade or so with no problems. I hone dry and wipe them off with a soft cotton rag after use; when it appears they are getting loaded with metal particles I spray them with a light coat of BreakFree, which seems to lift the metal particles and restore the hone's cutting qualities.

What they said (though I use waterstones that don't build up mud).

Wow, neat...

I bought a DMT set a little more than a year ago. It's that set with the angle guide and the three (blue, red, and green) 4" stones that fit into the guide.

I've been treating them like they were made of spun glass being so afraid of a diamond chip out. I'm really glad to hear that it's an overblown thing and that they really will put up with some heavy use.

They have a layer of unbonded diamonds on top of them and those diamonds will fall right off with use (faster with softer steels), but that leaves you the strongly bound diamonds that do the advertized job. I've thinned out the edges on dozens of pocketknives, kitchen knives, and field knives with my D8XX using enough pressure to eventually damage my left elbow and that stone is still going strong.

i like the ez lap full cutting surface sharpeners i have the credit card style as well as the 1/4 by 3" i carry the card sharpeners every day. after a good sharpening wash with soap and water and pat dry and its good to go.

i also us the "dog bone" for serrated blades the one for spyder co its fits the most general of serrations but for coldsteel style which are much tighter patterned they make a specific dog bone for them also

Thread Information