Thread: Urban Defense Pencil/GG&G Blackstone

Urban Defense Pencil/GG&G Blackstone

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have been looking at devices like the GG&G Blackstone and the Urban Defense Pencil as advertised/pictured in Shotgun News or on thier website. I also noticed that Tad Gear sells an item made by DCK tools that they list as a "glass breaker", but its very similar to the other two.

This is appealing to me, as its a discrete/low-profile defensive weapon, however I am unsure of the quality or which one to get. I have many GG&G products and they are all excellent, but they don't prefer to sell this to civilians just LEO's and .mil's. This is very suprising, as any 18 year old Pvt. carrying this on base would likely have a serious problem.If carried off base, he would have no legal right/protection to have this weapon, were it banned in his home state. The LE/.mil applications/restrictions are laughable to me. Eiether of those jobs would be infinitly better off with a quality knife, not something like this...
    I digress....

I have found a dealer that will sell the GG&G Blackstone to civilians, but at 90.00+, I am not sure its worth the money. The "chisel tip" doesn't seem to be as effective as just a spire-point, though I would prefer the blunted tip were it to activate in my pocket.

The Urban Defense tool looks really neat, and seems to be a better impalement device, though the blade looks much less robust. It is, however, sharpmend like a syringe which would penetrate quite well. Does anyone have one of these? How is the quality/performance?

Are you guys familiar with the DCK "glass breaker" as sold by Tad Gear? They call it a glass breaker,yet it looks just like these others...It would seem that these would be like OTF automatic knives and you probably would break it, where you to use it as a "glass breaker"... Does anyone know for sure?

Any help with this stuff would be greatly appreciated...

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Bladeforums!

You might do better with this in our Practical Tactical forum, and we might be able to answer you better with links to the items, for those of us unfamiliar with them.

It's common enough for manufacturers to prefer to sell through dealers, rather than maintain a sales operation themselves. Manufacturers also charge MSRP, of course, whereas dealers can discount.

Many discussions in Practical Tactical focus on less-than-lethal defensive tools, and a regular theme is that found weapons are often the functional equivalent of most of the more expensive toys.

Thread Information