Thread: Helle or Brusletto?

Helle or Brusletto?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Need help to choose a good Scandinavian knife for camping. My choice is between Helle or Brusletto.

What is your opinion, are they equally good?

My Helle Eggen is in my all-time respected group of knives. The laminated blade is one of the sharpest production knives I have ever gotten out-of-box. Nice ergo & function. I'd have no problems if this was the last knife I ever owned.

I was very dissapointed with my Brusletto Troll knife. I did some whittling on green and dried branches, cut a few notches for trapmaking practice and then noticed that the edge had several chips. Tho' it resharpened easily, it was a really big disappointment for this knife to fail at such a basic function.

I have no complaints about my Helle Fire, great knife in all aspects. I also am a fan of the sheath the Fire came with. With the snap on the inside I don't worry about vines or branches unsnapping it accidentally. It was sharp as needed from the factory and seems to be retaining that edge very well.

Don't now of any complaints against Bruslettos, but I can say my Helle Odell is a very handy knife.

Blog Entries
    They are both very good. I may be biased in favor of Finnish knives, but I feel my Iisakki Jarvenpaa have even stronger blades.

One note about a new edge chipping: the edge is the most delicate part of the blade structurally and a new edge may be weakened by the factory sharpening. A resharpen, perhaps with a secondary bevel better suited to a particular use, should take care of that. Hey, you have to resharpen it eventually anyway.

Strength is what led me to the Helle Fire, it is a solid full tang knife.

Blog Entries
    I have a Helle Nying. Good strong (and sharp!) blade on that one, too.

Back in March I ordered and received a Helle Symfoni. Beautiful knife! It came razor sharp and nicely packaged. However, the Scandi grind on the blade was very noticeably uneven - one side was ground more the the other. Looking down the spine from the top of the blade, you could really notice it at the tip.

I emailed Ragnar and asked him to check his stock. He replied he had 3 more Helle Symfonis, but two were ground unevenly and one, though ground ok, had a messed-up sheath. He offered, of course, to refund my order but I liked the knife so much I just spent the hours (over several days) to grind the blade evenly on my waterstones.

I named several models from several different manufactures and asked Ragnar if he could tell me the quality of each. I asked about certain models from Helle, Brusletto, Karesuando, Jarvenpaa, and Roselli. While his comments on the Helle and other models were good, the highest praise went to Brusletto. In fact, (I'm looking at my email and his reply to it right now), his words were "Brusletto - No problems with this brand, very high quality control".

I haven;t ordered a Brusletto knife yet but I did get a Brusletto blade. Very nice. Also, I wouldn;t hesitate to order ANY other Helle that caught my fancy. My favorite Helles are: Eggen, Fjelkniven, Odell, and Helle Fire. From Brusletto, I like the Rypa Brusletto Kniven.

Here's a couple of pics of the Symfoni:

Last edited by StretchNM; 06-23-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Thread Information