Thread: how to keep my carbon steel blades rust free

how to keep my carbon steel blades rust free

ADVERTISEMENT
    i got a new cold steel recon scout and it keep rusting and my stuff i use to keep rust away but it dont work i need you guys help

wipe it clean with WD40 and 0000 (ultra fine) steel wool to remove the existing surface rust. Then wipe clean with a rag and spray the blade liberally with silicone lubricant. Wipe with a rag. The silicone lube keeps the blade from rusting.

also:

- dont store a wet knife in the sheath
    - wipe with a rag sprayed with silicone lube after use.
    Last edited by Bushman5; 07-12-2008 at 02:20 AM.

Silicone is good; for something even stronger I recommend Marine Tuf Glide.
    It bonds with the steel and lasts a long time.

Wipe off the blade after each use with a clean cloth.

Also, if you're storing the knife for more than a few days, keep it out of the sheath.

Quote Originally Posted by rifon2 View Post
    Silicone is good; for something even stronger I recommend Marine Tuf Glide.
    It bonds with the steel and lasts a long time.

Wipe off the blade after each use with a clean cloth.

Also, if you're storing the knife for more than a few days, keep it out of the sheath.
    +1 on those tips. A good rub down with the Marine Tuf Glide will protect the steel even in salt water environments.
    "Compromising your belief structures ultimately leads to disillusion, dissatisfaction and distrust"
    NRA Life Endowment Member, BCCI Life Member #2379
    AKTI Member. Knife Rights Member.
    Life is dull without Paper Wheels

Here's what I do to keep my Case cv blades rust free: After each use, dab a little spit or water on the blade and then wipe it dry with a tissue or napkin or handkerchief (or part of your t-shirt or the leg of your jeans - whatever). That's it. IF you do get a little rust, it'll just be the lightest of surface rust anyway, which can be taken off with a little soapy water and a mild abrasive like the scrubby side of your kitchen-sink sponge or even by scraping away with your thumb nail. Another thing that helps, I've found, is to put a bit of a patina on the blade. For more on this option, search the archives for the word patina. There's tons of info there.

I'm a real fan of Johnson's Paste Wax---does a great job keeping your hunting rifles rust-free as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elkins45 View Post
    I'm a real fan of Johnson's Paste Wax---does a great job keeping your hunting rifles rust-free as well.
    +1

Johnson(or any paste wax really) works on guns and knives very well.

One could go with various CLPs or various rust preventatives including silicone cloths/sprays or similar......paste wax is just easier and usually less messy.

Coat with food grade mineral oil. No rust and its food safe.

I also use food grade mineral oil on all my knives. Wipe them / wash them after use. (Depends on task) Wipe them on t-shirt / jeans during the day. Once a week or so add some mineral oil. M

Tuff cloth and RainX should help.

Eezox is the best rust preventative I've ever used.
    Every test in life makes us bitter or better, every problem comes to break us or make us. The choice is ours whether we become victim or victor.

maybe its your location? ive had no problems with rust on any carbon steel" with minimal care". maybe the sins of your pegan past have landed you where you are with a rusty knife?

I like to use plain old flitz metal polish. it removes surface rust as well as protect the blade for a long time. You also do get that sticky slimy residue that most lubricants leave behind.

Thread Information