Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding blades with scandinavian grinds

Folding blades with scandinavian grinds

ADVERTISEMENT
    Are there any production folding knives with scandinavian grinds? I've seen a couple of EKA folding knives that looked like they might've had scandinavian grind, but I'm not sure.

Like the www.agrussell.com "One Hand Knife" ?

No, that has a pretty noticeable secondary bevel on there. I'm looking for folders with a true scandinavian grind, a large primary bevel and no other bevels.

I confess I don't quite understand why true scandi grind folders don't exist.

<sarcasm> Obviously it's so the knife companies can sell fantabulous knife sharpening 'systems'!</sarcasm>

I don't think the knife industry is actually that silly, so there must be some kind of reason. Maybe it's harder to mass-produce a decent out-of-the-box edge and polish with scandi grinds?

Jens Anso has a collaboration with Spyderco called the "Rock Lobster". It is due to be released this fall in North America. I have seen pictures but can't remember where; I suppose you could google the European Spyderco office. It came from a knife show in Europe this past spring.

Almost all Japanese weaponry has a primary bevel....try looking around for a Hanwei tanto if you want a good knife (but alas, it won't be a folder).

I got sick of the sorry condition of my CS Ti-Lite and ground it down to a primary bevel....that sure took care of it not being able to hold an edge.

If you really want a large primary bevel and no other bevels have a look at Higo no Kami folder (or Higonokami - traditional Japanese folding carpenter's knife) For examle -http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51165&cat=1,51222 . It's unexpensive ($17 - $25), different sized and quite functional.

Of course, it's not HiTech-WOW-Cool Tactical Folder.

Marttiini has 1 or two folders

There should be some folders available with the Scandi. Have Tom Krein do you one-up on a suitable folder.

Blog Entries
    I've got a couple of the Ahti butterflies. They are made by the same factory that made the old Hackman butterlies years ago. I think they may have a very small secondary bevel, but that's easily sharpened out.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/AhtiCatalog.html
    Last item on the page. Can't beat the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeryu View Post
    I confess I don't quite understand why true scandi grind folders don't exist.
    It's because Scandi grind is a Scandinavian thing mostly, and Scandinavians in general don't much care about folders.

The only EKA I've owned had a secondary bevel, but it was pre-owned, so it may have been added. Email Ragnar and ask him about the EKAs. He should be able to tell you.
    Not currently taking orders kiah@kiahdex.com Kiahdex Sheath Systems Forum Hail Eris!
    "Got a little plot of land where authority isn't recognized. Contraband keeping the core of his Hyde Jekyll-ized."

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeryu View Post
    ...I don't think the knife industry is actually that silly, so there must be some kind of reason. Maybe it's harder to mass-produce a decent out-of-the-box edge and polish with scandi grinds?
    Moras have a good edge from the factory for a good price, I think that it would be as easy if not easier than a flat grind.

Quote Originally Posted by malex View Post
    If you really want a large primary bevel and no other bevels have a look at Higo no Kami folder (or Higonokami - traditional Japanese folding carpenter's knife) For examle -http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51165&cat=1,51222 . It's unexpensive ($17 - $25), different sized and quite functional.

Of course, it's not HiTech-WOW-Cool Tactical Folder.
    Hm, that looks pretty nice. Hey, for general purpose out and about it won't be scaring away any sheeple, and that looks like the exact type of blade I was looking for. Thanks!

http://www.ragweedforge.com/eka-catalog.html

Not sure. Looks like what you were looking for.

Try Kellam Knives Jouni folders. Not cheap though.

http://www.kellamknives.com

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich S View Post
    Try Kellam Knives Jouni folders. Not cheap though.

http://www.kellamknives.com

Rich
    Hm, I've been looking for some nicer puukkos, and some of those look great. I don't know about the folders, though. I don't like the looks of them very much, although they do indeed look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus013 View Post
    Great find!
    Very unique...

If they made that model 1-2" smaller I would be all over it.

i will be doing a test to see if i can make one if it works i will make a few to sell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information