Thread: Solingen Carbon Steel - what kind of steel is this

Solingen Carbon Steel - what kind of steel is this

ADVERTISEMENT
    I see a lot of Boker, Buffalo Creek and Hen and Rooster knives that are described with quote "Solingen Carbon Steel. Solingen Steel is reguarded as the Highest Quality Knife Steel in the world ." Is this 1095 or some other kind of steel? Does it hold an edge well? Is it good steel or just advertising? I am looking for knives that hold a sharp edge. I do not worry about rust because I clean my knifes often.
    Last edited by boris01; 09-04-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Probably pretty close to 1095 or 01.

Interesting.

This is what I was able to find, in a 2 minute search:

http://www.wuppertal.ihk24.de/produk...lification.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by boris01 View Post
    I see a lot of Boker, Buffalo Creek and Hen and Rooster knives that are described with quote "Solingen Carbon Steel. Solingen Steel is reguarded as the Highest Quality Knife Steel in the world ." Is this 1095 or some other kind of steel? Does it hold an edge well? Is it good steel or just advertising? I am looking for knives that hold a sharp edge. I do not worry about rust because I clean my knifes often.
    The quote was true at one time, no longer.

"Solingen Carbon Steel" is whatever they want to use as there is no specification that limits it to any particular alloy. So it can vary by maker or even by model if that is what they want to do.

many thanks

Boker carbon steel is 1095.

What is it?
    "...I know where we’ve come from — I carry a key with me and I don’t forget. I know where we’re going, too — I’ve dropped blood to this Earth, not much different than mine, and seen it rise from the grass again."

-Dean Torges
    "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Thread Information