Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Al Mars Real or Counterfit?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Whitie, +1 very well said

Everyone Please L@@K this link first http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/almar_k...c=ph%26.view=t

These Photoes are from 90s,80s Japanses knife catarog Book.
    If thses knife are Counterfits knives, All Japanses collecter will get angry!

infobound1 up the Photoes SOF,Grunt II, I are sold in Japanses market in 90s. Why Boxs mark are different. I think the Japanses knife shop change the box to looks like new. collecter want to buy beautiful box.

So In Japan now Al Mar mark has two. Old 國馬森 New馬 Why? I do not know. But When I gat Repair from SEKI-JAPAN My knife,They change Blade and mark to 馬. It was R30 Blade not 440C. SEKI-JAPAN has still some old parts.

SEKI-JAPAN still some al mar knives Case and Sheath.Some sheath are English "AL MAR"
    I guuss this type sheath are Repair parts.

Give me e-mail infobound1. I will ship to Japanses catarog book to you!

I have seen the same thing with some old Pacific Cutlery knives. New production of old blade styles. Even using the same markings. Makes it dang near impossible to know for sure what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by oldalmar View Post
    Everyone Please L@@K this link first http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/almar_k...c=ph%26.view=t

infobound1 up the Photoes SOF,Grunt II, I are sold in Japanses market in 90s. Why Boxs mark are different. I think the Japanses knife shop change the box to looks like new. collecter want to buy beautiful box.

So In Japan now Al Mar mark has two. Old 國馬森 New馬 Why? I do not know. But When I gat Repair from SEKI-JAPAN My knife,They change Blade and mark to 馬. It was R30 Blade not 440C. SEKI-JAPAN has still some old parts.

SEKI-JAPAN still some al mar knives Case and Sheath.Some sheath are English "AL MAR"

Photo from Japanses knife magazin.I do believe Desert storm GRUNTII is REAL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is total bullshit. Any "new" knife coming from Seki is what Gary Fadden calls a "counterfeit", simply because Al Mar did not order the knives. I.e., the good folks in Seki help themselves to original tools and continue making/selling illegal knives. Seki is famous for this sort of thing.

Al Mar Catalog!

Old Al after thinking about this for a couple days and seeing the way you are trying to go about this, I have come to the assumption thay you may have been taken by these Al Mars as have myself and countless other collectors all over. I have seen Knowledgeable dealers and collectors turning these over without a clue as to the truth! I have no animosity towards you personally, I am only trying to keep people from spending money on unauthorized knives! I guess it would be easier to get taken in by these knives in japan as that is where they come from. And Yes I would love a japanese Al Mar Catalog, would be a nice addition to my A/M info and give some insight into these knives in your country. I will gadly pay you for the catalog and cost of shipping it here, I will send you a PM.

I will send to you knife Book and some copy form Japanese books FREE!.L@@k the first You will know that who is liar. I talk to last night who was working SEKI-JAPAN 60s.70s.80s.90s. There are many ugly story between New Al mar COE and SEKI-JAPAN in mid 90s. When Al is working with SEKI-JAPAN everything fine and they truust each ather have a good time.
    Al helped SEKI-JAPA guys how to make folding knives in 70s. All SEKI-JAPAN Guys Really LOVE Al and his help. They called Al Mar " MAR-San" .They were in shock when al mar died. They still have a loyalty to AL MAR. Why SEKI-JAPAN does not take an action against new COE? Al Mar's Wife still own part of Al mar company. They just quit making ALL Al mar knives to New al mar COE. ugly ugly story between New COE and SEKI-JAPAN.

maybe I should not tell this story.

Give me e-mail infobound1 I have to check your address.

I know that with the SERE folders, I bough one from a German knife e-tailer that an email response from AMK confirmed was fake. Heard the same story before; same tooling, really the same quality (the fake was actually better than the real one I had) but not authorized.

You are SERE looks like this?

Quote Originally Posted by hardheart View Post
    I know that with the SERE folders, I bough one from a German knife e-tailer that an email response from AMK confirmed was fake. Heard the same story before; same tooling, really the same quality (the fake was actually better than the real one I had) but not authorized.
    Al Mar SERE.This one?

yes, but with a different sheath

Blog Entries

I picked up...

An ivory micarta handled Eagle and a stag handled Falcon, neither of which has been available in the US for some time(like over 10 years) at the Seki Knife Museum store in Seki Japan last November.

The prices were very comparable to wholesale on new knives when they were available in the early 1990's....what I am NOT sure of is if they are new old stock, or current production.

Truth be told, these had enough patina on the brass, and discoloration of the IM to be new old stock, so this thread has me scratching my head. I'll ask Gary next time I see him.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
    Victory comes with the sword still in the scabbard
    The Way of the warrior is a dying art

Old AL, I am hoping that you do not know the differance between Al Mar Knives authorized and Ordered for production By Al Mar USA and ones produced in seki without there authorization, I have not had the chance for outside pictures, due to medical appoinments and rain, I just spent over an hour on the phone with Gary Fadden this afternoon, discussing various counterfit blades and the unauthorized manufacture of models based on vintage Blades, Al Mar USAs stock of the old blades was gone by 1997, There have never been any so called special market knives authorized By Al, His Family or the new owner Gary. The knives that are not authorized by Al Mars Knives are counterfit any way you want to slice it. Unfortunately alot of people have bought these peices unknowingly. I am going to post some Bad pictures to show you the differances, these are what i can manage with bad weather and my photo tent packed away! Identifying these blades is fairly easy if you have a good knowledge of their models and special editions. If you are not that familiar it is easy to buy incorrect knives. The sere you posted today is not a correct knife look at the placements of the chops and logos any model sere from the beginning always had the chop and logo above the grind like the ones in my pictures. Anyone wishing to confirm any of this information is welcome to Call Al Mar Knives At 503-670-9080 its been my experiance more often than not that Gary answers the phone himself. As my poor pictures show on models from the begining to current day. Out of all my Seres this placement is standard, it is one of the first Tells that was taught to me by the old collectors. And a twenty year old knife typically shows some sign of being vintage not just made new. The first and fourth knives are early production gold chops relatively rare and do not show up very well.
    Last edited by infobound1; 09-12-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Al Mar Model #6105 Elite Airborne?

According to Al Mar Knives this Knife was never authorized to be made as a Airborne Edition. There were 200 first productions and some subsequent production runs after the pre-productions.

Al Mar Vagabond Model#6106

Another tell on counterfits are the sheaths, Al Mar Sheaths typically have a model number stamped on the back of all leather sheaths, sheaths that vary from the originals unless stated as differant are visual giveaways. Leather sheaths with the word COMBAT stamped on them with the al mar chop will not have a model number on the Back, AL Mar Never sold a sheath with the word combat on it! See above post with A/M dessret storm commerative photo in the first post in this thread, for some reason i cannot use my pictures in more than 1 post at a time. The vagabond shown is a Pre-production #199/200 with a very early japan marking.
    Last edited by infobound1; 09-12-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardheart View Post
    yes, but with a different sheath
    I Think your knife sold only Europe market. I can see this SERE type photo in Japanses book.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by infobound1 View Post
    Another tell on counterfits are the sheaths, Al Mar Sheaths typically have a model number stamped on the back of all leather sheaths, sheaths that vary from the originals unless stated as differant are visual giveaways. Leather sheaths with the word COMBAT stamped on them with the al mar chop will not have a model number on the Back, AL Mar Never sold a sheath with the word combat on it! See above post with A/M dessret storm commerative photo in the first post in this thread, for some reason i cannot use my pictures in more than 1 post at a time. The vagabond shown is a Pre-production #199/200 with a very early japan marking.

Why sheaths are differant? I am 100% know " SEKI-JAPAN some knives ship only knives" So Al Mar had to make sheath in the USA. They use Eagle and TX ??.

Your al mar sheath looks like SOG sheath. My Point is Al Mar knives in 80s and 90s which sale in the Japanes market are little defferant. Like SERE and SOF has De Oppresso Libre side.

Airborne was selling 1990 in Japan. Al Mar still live. Anyway I sent Japanses Book and Copy today to CT. You will understand some Japanses market. In Japan 80s and ealy 90s were little differant type al mar we can buy it.

My Point is Al mar dose not know it?? I do not think so. Al Mar came to SEKI knife show and He write his autograph on Japanses type Al Mar sheaths to Japanses Collector!!! If those are counterfits knives, Do you think Al Mar give to Japanses collector an autograph?

whatever who say In 70s,80s and eary 90s which sold al mar knives in Japan, those are Real Al Mar knives.

aloha all,
    the sere that oldalmar was selling indeed has the chop above the grind.

Hi can i recive te catalog? my mail: wistrol@tiscali.it

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by winstrol80 View Post
    Hi can i recive te catalog? my mail: wistrol@tiscali.it

thanks
    Hi!!
    Welcome To The Forum.

And you might have trouble getting a response about that catalog,
    That users last activity was 2 years ago, this thread is 3 years old.
    -Jon
    Looking For TC Barlows

We used to play for silver now we play for life. And one's for sport, and one's for blood at the point of a knife...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information