Page 44 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

ADVERTISEMENT
    This is my lot.

I would like to get some more opinions from people that have owned Steel Warrior knives.

Search "Warrior" in the Traditional forum (the forum this thread is in). It has been discussed a few times. In one of the threads, posters were trashing Steel Warrior but most of them had never handled one. I posted my experience with S.W. which is highly positive and posted a few pics.
    roland

I did a search but most of the threads I saw were either old or by people that never owned them.
    I am really only interested in the reviews by people that have used them, not opinions based on country of origin

i have owned,and still own several warriors as well as
    other frost slipjoints....
    my best knife is a frost copperhead.....been thru more than
    any other knife i own and still holding an edge....
    i only have one steel warrior i have used....it is a 3 blade
    stockman,and never let me down....if it did,i wouldn't be out
    much as far as money goes...but i would miss the knife...
    hope this helps a little,
    jd

I picked up a Warrior Barlow in tortoise because I liked the scales. It was aprox 10 dollars and I didn't expect much. That knife really surprised me. Takes a very keen edge and holds it quite well. Very solid build, strong springs, no gaps. Just an all around great user. Initial pull was about a 9... Almost a nail breaker, but with some exercise it loosened up a bit and smoothed out. I would buy another if it struck my fancy...
    Order of the Patina Patina

I dunno... should you guys start Steel Warrior's thread?

This one has sure been popular and long lasting.

Just sayin'...

Robert

Sorry, just tryin' to help a guy out...
    Coyotebc, check out post #8 in this thread on pg 1
    Order of the Patina Patina

I have a SW Stockman in Stag.

It looks like it could have come out of the same factory as the RR knives. Very similar construction, decent quality. The scales aren't half bad , some gaps where the scales are fit to the frame , but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight flyer View Post
    I dunno... should you guys start Steel Warrior's thread?

This one has sure been popular and long lasting.

Just sayin'...

Robert
    Thread title is RR AND related slipjoints, I think near the beginning of this thread the mods merged a steel warrior thread into this one.
    That is the reason I asked it here

Quote Originally Posted by sitflyer View Post
    Sorry, just tryin' to help a guy out...
    Coyotebc, check out post #8 in this thread on pg 1
    Thanks, I had read that one but the post is about 3 1/2 years old.
    I have found a guy that sells them locally for $15 to $20 so I will probably buy one or two just to see how they hold up.
    The only problem is that he doesn't carry a large stockman, but maybe I will try a design I am not familiar with (not hard since I basically stopped carrying traditionals a long time ago)

In the heart of darkness. Learning the secrets of the mighty Douk-douk.
    I only own one Steel Warrior but if the quality of mine is any indication I would rate them as higher quality than Rough Rider. I think Rough Riders are pretty good for the most part but the Steel Warrior is just a little better.

I have quite a few of both these brands. A few of my Steel Warriors are truly suberb, others are not quite up to the RR's.
    Basically they are of very similar quality overall, but in my experience the RR's have a bit more consistency in their quality.
    Which of these 2 brands a knife is should not be a reason for not buying it, if you like how it looks.
    roland

Thanks
    I was going to pick one up today but I got busy
    Will pick one up neck week

I just received my first RR and for the most part I am pleased. It's a 3-1/2" mini lockback trapper in smooth tobacco bone. The main blade came rather dull but the spey came hair shaving sharp. In pics, the bolsters appear to be silver but in person, they have an almost "bronze-ish" finish. There are minor flaws with the scales but for the price that I paid (10$) it's acceptable. The only thing that bothered me was that the locking blade had some side to side play. But that seemed to get better after a few dozen openings and some oil. I was afraid of buying something too big or too small, but this fits perfectly in my watch pocket as a secondary knife for those "sheeple" moments when it would be akward to pull out my PM2.

I have the same knife and i really like it, no 'issues' at all. A very comfortable and capable EDC for sure.
    roland

[QUOTE=Sithus1966;10682738]This is my lot.

I like that small amber Bone Lockback, bottom centre. Anybody have a pattern No. ?

Thanks, Will

What do you guys think about the pearl-handled RR's? Some of the more simple and subdued ones look nice, but I've heard some people raise concerns over the scales being glued rather than pinned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    What do you guys think about the pearl-handled RR's? Some of the more simple and subdued ones look nice, but I've heard some people raise concerns over the scales being glued rather than pinned on.
    I have a few in both regular pearl and black pearl. The black pearl is nicer looking , but you're right they're glued on. I've never had one come off under normal circumstances, but one popped off after I dropped the knife on a tile floor. I'm lucky the scale didn't break.

Quote Originally Posted by willgoy View Post

I like that small amber Bone Lockback, bottom centre. Anybody have a pattern No. ?

Thanks, Will
    The small amber bone is RR461. I have the same one but a darker color.

Page 44 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread Information