Page 48 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadFall27 View Post
    Have any info on that fish knife? I really like the looks of it, especially with the leather lanyard you have put on it. I'm curious about that ball bearing type thing at the bottom...Also, why is there jimping all the way down the spine? I never got that.
    The fish knife is a Puma Waggemesser 501. The ball is to wack the fish with, and to act as a counterbalance for the "scale" feature. The notches are to hang a fish from the blade by a string, and weighs fish up to 12 pounds. Here's a thread about the knife:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ggemesser-501?
    Josh

Impressive, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    I think I've just found my favourite pattern. Although it's not a Rough Rider but it's priced similarly.
    Dimensions:
    blade length: 3.46" (88 mm)
    total length: 7.79" (198 mm)

I got hold of one of these. It's odd, and bigger than I thought but not bad.

Considering it cost me about 14 USD including postage to Europe, how can you complain...?? No blade wobble, good lock up and grinds, blade not centre&near the liner. Goat horn handles are well finished for sure.

But, I'll stick to RR.

Thanks, Will

Here are a couple of big boys with a RR peanut for size. The trapper is dressed in "barn board bone" the Big whittle in black smooth bone. As always they came razor sharp with great fit and finish.

Regards

Robin

[IMG][/IMG]

Pakistan Rough Riders

Does any one have any idea when and why SMKW started making some RR's in Pakistan. Are they any good, which I doubt. I wonder why SMKW is trying to ruin a good thing by moving RR's to Pakistan? The other lines like Fox and Hounds, some American Hunter and Colts are made in Pakistan and all the Damascus blades are Pakistan. You can always spot the Pakistan fixed bladed by the curved handles and curved usually birds head end caps.

prolly because labor is cheaper in Pakistan than China. Outsourceing works for them, too, I guess.

I just got 50 RRs, NONE of them were made in Pakistan. So far the only one I have seen from Pakistan is a picture of a fixed blade that Roland sent me.

Regards

Robin

I think the owners of the Rough Rider branding have done and are doing a superb job of getting a vast array of interesting Traditional patterns into the market. And they are obviously concerned about quality. Likely they tried a different manufacturer in another country and then dropped them when they saw that the quality was not good enough.
    Howver, when i was a kid in the 1950's, anything "Made in Japan" truly was junk.
    When i was closer to middle age, much of what was "Made in China" was of terrible quality
    In another 10 years, knives made in Pakistan could well be of high quality. I think they will become China's main competitor for good working knives.
    roland

I'd love to see RR step it up a notch and do some good carbon steel blades.

Regards

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
    I just got 50 RRs, NONE of them were made in Pakistan. So far the only one I have seen from Pakistan is a picture of a fixed blade that Roland sent me.

Regards

Robin
    Yup, I had a pakistan bowie by rough rider and its insanely soft! its now in my tool shed and I use it to hack unwanted limbs on the shrubs and sharpen it with a mill file...I really wanted to like it but a soft blade is useless, I reused the sheath on a bowie I made.

Rough Rider Stag

I sprung for a handful of Rough Riders recently, all with stag handles, so here is a picture review. These came out a few years ago I believe

Three knives in the first set. A split spring whittler, a two bladed copperhead pattern, and a slim stockman. All are well build, no gaps, sharp, and quite decent snap for the most part. The stag is average, with the dye coloring in the middle of the handles not quite matching with the torched edges near the bolster pins. Still, not bad. The split spring whittler is a little tight to open on the master, but not bad. The copperhead is really a nice feeling knife, similar to a smaller version of a folding hunter. A slim stockman, looks like a Schrade pattern.

Whittler - 3 1/2" closed

Copperhead - 3 3/4" closed

Slim Stockman - 3 9/16" closed

The second set is a little more impressive to look at. So I'm showing both sides of the knives on these two.

The congress exhibits a nice popcorn look, and the peanut is simply a beauty.

Congress - 3 1/2" closed

Nice looking pile side too.

Peanut at 2 3/4" closed

Back side a bit lighter dyed compared to the front
    Last edited by thawk; 09-02-2012 at 09:15 AM.

~
    ~
    H A L ~
    ~
    "I lost ten points just for being in the right place, at exactly the wrong time."

Those are Nice Hal and the Slim Stockman is a very nice size for the pocket.
    I like this Stag that RR is using. I have possibly an example of every pattern that RR has made using Stag. On a few (3 ?), the Stag was dry and had cracked, but the everything else was just fine, so i kept them. For the very low price i don't think it is fair to return them.
    roland

Notice that RR can manage to put out knives with sunk/ semi-sunk joints. An impressive feat in my book.

i have that Copperhead, only with a yellow handle. Impressive knife, and beautiful in stag.

Heres a new small "hunter" (bird and trout) with stag scales, shown with the jumbo trapper for size. This thing is Scary sharp and made in China.

Regards

Robin

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Even tho they are made overseas rough riders are quality work knives. They have beautiful stag and bone.

Robin, i have the same RR FB with stag, plus 1 or 2 others with different handles. Bought them maybe 2 years ago and i agree, they are 'real' knives, you could dress out a deer with one quite easily. The RR FB from Pakistan i mentioned was a more recent acquisition.
    roland

I was curious if anybody has had less than perfect results with RR's yellow Delrin (most likely not Delrin but similar in appearance). I'm a huge RR fan and own/use a ton of them, however The color of the yellow handles on most if not all of the RR I've seen have been kinda faded in appearance. Again I'm sorta nitpicking here, but I just kind of wanted to know if this was an isolated experience. It's not just a huge deal seeing as synthetic handled knives are regarded as using knives and not show pieces.

I have the Copperhead mentioned above. The yellow Delrin(?) scales seem to have faded a bit, but since I bought this knife to use in the woods and paid less than $10.00 for it, I can live with it.

My RR yellow (Derlin?) scales look a little less faded than my Case yellow Derlin. They also seem a little more opaque than Case Derlin, which looks very slightly translucent. Neither is a very rich yellow. If the RR has faded, I can't say I've definitely noticed.
    Last edited by shecky; 09-02-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Page 48 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread Information