Thread: How Long for Tru-Oil to Dry?

How Long for Tru-Oil to Dry?

ADVERTISEMENT
    This is good stuff but will it ever dry?

Hi,

If you are using Behr Tru-Oil, (which has been discontinued), it should dry normally. If you are using some other brand, it may take awhile. Depending on how much Tung Oil is in the mix, it could take a long time.

dalee

I've never specifically tested Tru-Oil against other lubricants, so this may be a bit off-topic.

I have tested a number of bicycle chain lubes, which is a much more severe test of lasting wear-prevention than ordinary folder-pivot use.

ProGold ProLink is a clear oil which penetrates very well into the link-rollers and lasts for extended hard use. I clean and replace it after 60 to 75 miles of trail riding.

It's clear, penetrates well into folder pivots and will give lasting protection.

For my folders, I use either Rem Oil or ProLink, whichever is closer.

Hope this helps!

I think humidity/temp will affect it. My use had it dry enough to handle, and final buff in less than 12 hrs.

Leave it in the sun for a few hours each day.
    Gud4u: Tru-oil is not a lubricant, it's a wood finish. Boiled linseed oil.
    Bill

If you put it on thick it will take a very long time .Put on thin, rub off excess, let dry ,repeat for three coats.

Quote Originally Posted by mete View Post
    If you put it on thick it will take a very long time .Put on thin, rub off excess, let dry ,repeat for three coats.
    That's been my experience as well.

I rub in a thin ocat, dry for 48 hours, steel wool with 0000 wool, and repeat twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
    That's been my experience as well.

I rub in a thin ocat, dry for 48 hours, steel wool with 0000 wool, and repeat twice.
    Same here. Number of repetitions depends on the finish that I want.

Quote Originally Posted by popcornpicker View Post
    This is good stuff but will it ever dry?
    If I have let it absorb and "Dry" for at least 22.3 hours I will take a clean t-shirt and some Johnson's paste wax to it. Just rub a thick coat of paste wax over it, let it dry for about 10 minutes and buff it out. The solvents (mild) in the wax clean up the residual oils in the Tru-Oil or any other "Oil" type finish and allow you to move forward in your finishing process. If you want a slightly less shiny finish apply the paste wax with 0000 steel wool and buff normally with a soft cotton cloth. After the wax application the wood will be dry, hard and shiny/matte depending on the applicator. Works great and I have found through experience the wax trick can be done from 10 minutes to 10 days from application of any oil finish without any problems whatsoever. Enjoy

Jerry

Thread Information