Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everyday Fixed Blade Carry?

ADVERTISEMENT
    This one for now

I only carry fixed blades. This is the current one I have taken to carrying IWB with a cover shirt or jacket
    Busse HR

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    I only carry fixed blades. This is the current one I have taken to carrying IWB with a cover shirt or jacket
    Busse HR

nice set up!
    I'm trying so hard to do the same thing, could you post some more pics like this? showing different angles, and how the lanyard/tether is attached?

THANKS!

MKPHC this set up is a regular kydex sheath from mashcat with an oversized stud that is threaded to take a stainless screw. I then put it thru one of the rivet holes in sheath to act as a stop so knife and sheath do not slide down. It is a very old stlye of carry. The Stud is basicly an oversized Sam Brown stud that I have made for me. I have been carrying knives in leather this way for years. In leather you need a sheath maker to make the sheath just tell them you want a sash style sheath with a sam brown stud. In Kydex it is very easy to rig a sheath this way. All you need is a threaded stud. Mine are oversized but I think Tandy leather sells regular sam brown threaded or rivet on studs. On Kydex it is best to use a static line what you called a lanyard. When you go to draw the knife fast sometimes the sheath will draw with the knife the static line tops it once it clears your pants and the sheath just falls to the side and hangs there. To rig this just run a cord from tip of sheath like in pic 1 . It is just wrapped around stud for pic. Make cord just long enough that with just the sheath you can loop cord thru belt loop or around belt then pass just sheath thru cord loop . Pull tight and you have a static line. When you pull knife fast the sheath can come with it it will only go till the line pulls tight and pop off leaveing naked blade. When you are not worried about concealment you can carry the knife just thru belt on outside of pants super comfty and very fast on draw. I draw a knife ice pick grip edge faceing forward. I can skin a blade carried this fashion in the blink of an eye. Anyone that trys this carry method gives it time to get used to it I think will come to see that this very old style of carry still is the best
    Last edited by JParanee; 10-31-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

That's the 2008 Blade knife isn't it? Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by SPXTrader View Post
    That's the 2008 Blade knife isn't it? Very Nice!
    Yes thanks

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

i usually carry a small fixed hanging upside down in kydex like this,
    but the larger ones don't work like this.

I really want to discipline myself to carry a larger one like you do.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by mkphc View Post

Thanks for the info.
    Most of the time I carry a blade 6 to 9 or even ten inches this way I have found that for me a 7 inch blade carries great sash style. You need at least 6 in my opinion to work well in this carry style more blade thru belt than handle above it. Bill Bagwell taught me this carry style and it is the only way I carry a knife. I am right handed but I carry a knife on my left because sometimes I carry a gun on my right side. I believe you should carry a knife or gun always the same way so you get muscle memory and reaching for it becomes second nature that way when something happens fast by reaction your hand moves to the apropriate place with out to much thought. Cool weather carry with a cover article of clothing is super easy summer carry can be a bit more difficult but with just a t shirt un tucked I can conceal a large fixed blade knife easily. I really do carry large fixed blades this way and have for many years. Took some getting used to but know I feel naked with out one. Kinda like carrying a wallet you feel it at first but in time it becomes part of you. Plus easy to take off and put on. I think if more people tried this carry style more people would carry fixed blades instead of folders. IMHO this is the only way to carry a fixed blade . Especialy just thru belt on out side of pants. Good luck

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Quote Originally Posted by mkphc View Post

Thanks for the info.
    by the way you got the static line down just remember to make it just long enough to pass the sheath thru that way it gets tight on the draw quicker and releases the knife

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Quote Originally Posted by dispatch 510 View Post
    This one for now

Dispatch510, I love that knife. Who makes it? I have a Sharpfinger made by Sharade (Taylor) that I carry some times besides my Rat3. I want one of those. That is a great style knife for EDC IMO.

Thanks!
    about a year and a half ago I decided to carry only fixed blades, and now I can carry the way I showed, but I really want carry 3/4/5/6 in the way you do,
    but I have to adjust to your method, I will learn it and I'll post pics when I do.

Fixed blades are the only way to go IMO!

I agree if more people learned this way they would carry FB instead.

You EDC a Hellrazor? Just how bad is your neighbourhood?

Seriously, doesn't it dig into you when you're sitting in a car seat?

I find the larger fixed blades will always nail me in the kidneys when I'm riding around. Darn bucket seats!

Granted, my mid-section has started to spread a bit lately...

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    Busse HR

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalohump View Post
    You EDC a Hellrazor? Just how bad is your neighbourhood?

Seriously, doesn't it dig into you when you're sitting in a car seat?

I find the larger fixed blades will always nail me in the kidneys when I'm riding around. Darn bucket seats!

Granted, my mid-section has started to spread a bit lately...
    I don't live in a bad neighborhood in fact I do not have many neighbors at all. But I go by the old thou I walk in the valley of the shadow I fear no evil because I am the badest MF in the valley Only kidding the truth is I live in a gun carry friendly state the problem is I own different businesses in neighboring states that are not carry friendly. I have to collect money and things at night and I have learned thru spareing with fake knives all other things being equal a big knife beats a small one everytime. I have 4 children and when I go from my truck to the family volvo I go from redneck to family yuppie guy and victum and I will not be a victum or allow a family member to be one so if I can not carry a gun I will carry the best knife I can which in my humble opinion is a large fixed blade. I am not playing when it comes to my families protection. Plus I hunt alot with bow, dogs and firearms I can not tell you how many times I have dispatched an animal with a knife . I do not enjoy this but it is realty when you hunt with catch dogs and a big knife works better than a small one
    Last edited by JParanee; 10-31-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

I've got a Spyderco Kumo on my Christmas wish list. If I get it, I may try EDCing it around town.

Charles May Handi Scandi and Trace, both, because I can't decide which I like better yet.

> Ravaillac
    > Nice, who's the maker?

Thanks, and the maker is as mmmotorcycle told you.

JP's great EDC made me to try making a sheath for this one..

I carry smaller fixed blades just because of comfort reasons. I know folders are more comfortable but if there ever was a SHTF crises and I could not make it home, then I would want a fixed blade with me of some type just for survival purposes. You never know were your gonna be when that crises happens so I want to be prepared. I also carry a back up folder in my pocket and around my neck along with a small minimag light. So all in all I have at least 3 knives on me all the time, its just that one is a fixed blade, 3in or under.

For me, it's a BRK&T Mini Canadian in a Russell Woodswalker pocket sheath when I edc a fixed blade. I'd like to try their Little Creek too. A small FB makes a great companion to a multitool, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fujita yuji View Post
    > Ravaillac
    > Nice, who's the maker?

Thanks, and the maker is as mmmotorcycle told you.

JP's great EDC made me to try making a sheath for this one..
    Thanks would love to see what you come up with

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Since I don't usually have to tuck my shirts in, I carry this on a daily basis (at least most days):

Scrapyard Yard Guard
    Rainwalker Creations Kydex IWB sheath.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information