Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good production bowie knife - makes?

Good production bowie knife - makes?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Any suggestions? I like the polished blade, western type looks of the Ontario Bagwell series, but was wondering if there are other good production makes which are quite heavy duty, and are not meant only as wall displays.
    Price -- under $200.00 which does narrow the choices.

The Ontario Bagwells look nice but they are stainless steel I have some and used to carry one but I bent the tip and I think for the money there are better pieces if you are really going to use it. If you like a western look try and find an older carbon V cold steel laredo. They where and are good knives for the money.

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

I think the Cold Steel Laredo Bowie falls under that criteria.

Cold Steel would probably hold up better under some actual use such as light chopping?

I've been looking for a good affordable bowie myself... I was looking at the bark river 1855 model and the blackjack classic model 7... anyone have any experience with either of these?
    Last edited by love4steel; 11-01-2008 at 09:47 PM.

i bought a case bowie on ebay pretty cheap so ive been beating it up and it is actually a pretty tough knife. just kinda big.

Quote Originally Posted by love4steel View Post
    I've been looking for a good affordable bowie myself... I was looking at the bark river 1855 model and the blackjack classic model 7... anyone have any experience with either of these?
    I have heard good things about both . I have the Black Jack mine is old wicked sharp convex edge and good steel if they still are making them that way

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Quote Originally Posted by MHall52 View Post
    Any suggestions? I like the polished blade, western type looks of the Ontario Bagwell series, but was wondering if there are other good production makes which are quite heavy duty, and are not meant only as wall displays.
    Price -- under $200.00 which does narrow the choices.
    if you can shell out 50.00 more bucks you got your self a knife
    https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...New%20Products

I bought a Hen and Rooster Bowie that is Huge. Its Bone slab handles and Full solid tang and Soligen steel in Germany. I love that knife. Also it has a nice leather sheath. You can get them for a 100,00 bucks. There the Western classic type bowie.

The CS Laredo in SK-5 is a lot of knife for the money. Being very familiar with the performance of the Carbon V version, I had to do a test for myself on the SK-5 version since the price was cut in half. Performance was NOT cut in half. The Carbon V version holds an edge a little longer, but other than that, there is no difference. SK-5 Laredo performs very well in any use you'd want to put a Bowie to. I think it's a bargain.
    "If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water." - Loren Eiseley

"Kitchen Kydex" DVD sets available. http://rivercitysheaths.com/dvd.html
    River City Sheaths

There is a nice Boker Magnum Bowie, in fact it was the Magnum knife of the year 2008.
    Check it out:

I've got a Cold Steel Trailmaster in Sk-5 on the way. That goes for under $100.

I'd get a browning crowell/barker bowie for a little over $100.

If you are looking for pure function as opposed to looks, consider the Ranger RD-9 (9.5" blade) for $119. Blade is 5160 spring steel which to me is much more appropriate to a large bowie than any stainless steel.
    http://www.rangerknives.com/Knives/index.html

Another possibility would be a bowie by Mineral Mountain (Ted Frizzell) but they start at around $240, so just over your budget. They are also 5160 steel. I've had one for years and like it--again, not the prettiest but a great chopper, well designed for function.http://www.mineralmountain.com/wrbowie.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Broos View Post
    +1. My favorite big knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Broos View Post
    I would not call it a bowie but it is the best camp knife for the money out there IMHO

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

The Cold Steel Laredo should be able to take whatever you throw at it as long as it's what a knife is designed for.

If you're willing to get a knife that doesn't look like a traditional bowie but can take a serious beating, you might want to look into Scrap Yard Knives Son of Dogfather (SOD). I think it sells for around $120.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpnugget View Post
    if you can shell out 50.00 more bucks you got your self a knife
    https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...New%20Products
    WOW That is one nice looking knife. Didn't know Ka-Bar had this.

Push it up to $225 and you can get a Johh Greco hard usin' Bowie like this coffin handle. Not the longest blade out there, but it's a handmade knife v. "production"

http://www.grecoknives.com/

Last edited by CWL; 11-04-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    Push it up to $225 and you can get a Johh Greco hard usin' Bowie like this coffin handle. Not the longest blade out there, but it's a handmade knife v. "production"

http://www.grecoknives.com/

John makes a great user knife the sheaths leave a little to desire but that is easily remedied

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information