Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best EDC for under $50

Best EDC for under $50

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm wanting it as a christmas gift for my dad. His current EDC gets used ALOT and I'm really wanting something tough that can take abuse.

I know $50 isn't much but it's what I can afford.

Thanks

Might want to decide if your dad is a slipjoint kind of guy (like mine), or more of a locking folder type. That would get you headed in the right direction.

Whats his current EDC?

Edit: you can get plenty of good knives for under $50, so don't sweat it.

3. Get the Spyderco Native at Walmart for ~$40...

+1 for the Native or you can also go with something from Kershaw or other Spyderco's like something from the Byrd line. I've got a Cara Cara that is extremly well built and sharp and it goes for about $30. Probably one of the best knives you can find at that price point. Of course there's always the Buck 110 if he doens't want to clip the knife in his pocket.

.. Or a Spyderco Tenacious for ~$30 at pretty much any store on the web. Really solid liner lock with G-10 handle and the Chinese equivalent of AUS-8 (8Cr13MoV).. I have been rotating it in with my griptilian and I'm definitely satisfied, considering the price.

Spyderco Tenacious is a meaty, heavy-duty knife, that is as solid as knives 5X its price... or better occasionally.

It has a large leaf-shaped blade, well-polished... that can get razor sharp.

After conducting some tests with showing my various knives to sheepie, I have surprisingly come to the conclusion that it IS NOT sheepie-friendly. As a matter of fact, it was rated the most threatening-looking knife by the sheepie, when compared to the rest of the knives I was showing:

- black Kershaw Leek
    - Kershaw Skyline
    - Benchmade Mini Rukus
    - black Kershaw Blur

Yes, you heard me right, the Tenacious was rated more threatening-looking than the big, black, loud, assisted Blur. Go figure. So much for buying a knife that wasn't assisted and couldn't be flicked open... for the sole purpose of not offending their sensibilities.

Doesn't matter too much to me, but I figured I'd say something.

A good 'ole Sodbuster or a Boker Trance. The Soddie might bring back some memories.

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    Yes, you heard me right, the Tenacious was rated more threatening-looking than the big, black, loud, assisted Blur. Go figure. So much for buying a knife that wasn't assisted and couldn't be flicked open... for the sole purpose of not offending their sensibilities.

Doesn't matter too much to me, but I figured I'd say something.
    Ha, that figures, right? Well fortunately I don't have to worry about how other people perceive what knives I'm carrying, as I don't carry during the day, and if I do, I'm usually not too quick to whip it out to cut strings off my shirts, clean my nails, etc.

I really like the leaf shaped blade, it's a damn shame that the people you showed it to thought it looked threatening. I think it looks much more soft and cushy than any of the tanto blades I own.

Oh well, what can you do. Like we say. Sheeple.

This is about as tough as they come for the buck. Frame-lock, USA made, sharpens easy, Thin and they come in two sizes. All for under 40 dollars. I've used this one hard and it's still tight as new and I love the way this Kershaw Storm II performs for it's cost.
    [IMG][/IMG]

If you want to go slightly over 50, get him a mini-grip from newgraham for $56

Can't recommend that knife enough, especially for value-per-dollar (IMO what you get is more than what you pay for with this knife).

Kershaw Mini Cyclone, Here for $ 30 shipped. Or the full sized one here for about $ 34 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by SPXTrader View Post
    Kershaw Mini Cyclone, Here for $ 30 shipped. Or the full sized one here for about $ 34 shipped.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by SPXTrader View Post
    I have to ask, why is it that the plain edge version of the cyclones is so much cheaper than the combo edge on that website? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by dip_n_ride View Post
    I have to ask, why is it that the plain edge version of the cyclones is so much cheaper than the combo edge on that website? Anyone know?
    Because Rich mall ninjas favour the combo edge...

Get 2 benchmade Pika II www.thebladeshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by stick'em View Post
    I'm wanting it as a christmas gift for my dad. His current EDC gets used ALOT and I'm really wanting something tough that can take abuse.

I know $50 isn't much but it's what I can afford.
    Tell us about your dad. What's his current EDC? What kind of work does he do?

There are a lot of hardworking Bucks for not a lot of bucks. Especially if you (or in this case, your dad) don't mind buying something from their line that's produced in China.

Quote Originally Posted by dip_n_ride View Post
    I think Kershaw did a run just for SMKW. They just ordered the PE models.

Benchmade Monochrome. N690 steel, adaqutate sized blade, and a HEAVY DUTY framelock. I've found them at many sporting goods shops for around $40. That knife was the beginning of my Benchmade addiction. Id take the advice about that mini-Grip from Benchmade, for $6 over your target, you'd get the axis lock. Your father would be impressed, as it seems like an expensive knife, and the lock is like nothing youve ever used before.

I've been buying higher end knives lately ($400+), and regardless of how I look at it, a good multitool (Victorinox, Leatherman, etc) is always MUCH more useful than my uber-tough high end knives. So I would consider those if you're looking for utility above all.

If you're looking strictly for knives (no multitools with blades), you still have plenty of options.
    The Benchmade Griptilians and the Spyderco Endura/Delicas can sometimes be found in the for sale area for around or under $50. Other options:

Spyderco Native, Tenacious
    Byrd knives
    Benchmade Monochrome, Vex
    Kershaw Leek, Shallot
    Plenty of others.

Griptilian, love the axis. The Kershaw is a bad choice either but you are asking someone who spends alot on knives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information