Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Is the Buck 119 at Wal-Mart ok or get RC3?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    142

    Question Is the Buck 119 at Wal-Mart ok or get RC3?


    ADVERTISEMENT
    I read a lot of people like the Buck 119 from walmart and then I read a post that said that WalMart can only sell it cheap because the steel is made in china. Is that true? Does it matter where the still is?

    I plan on skinning small game - squirrel and rabbit. Is that too much knife?

    I had thought about the RC3, but I am not sure it is the right thing for my purpose. I did not want the Buck 110 because it is a folder and I am afraid it will be too hard to clean.

    Thank you.
    Last edited by johnnyKnives; 11-08-2008 at 02:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Wal-mart sells it cheap because they contract a large number of the knives to be made and bought for their 1000's of stores. I've heard they aren't finished as well but, I have two and the Wal-Mart one is finished the best. The steel would be the same I'd think as the other 420HC knives in their line. As to it being too much to use to dress out a small animal, it's more than I'd want. A 3-4" thinner blade would be easier to handle on a rabbit or squirrel, than a 6", rather heavy blade. Wal-Mart 119 at top, online knife store 119 at bottom.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by jill jackson; 11-08-2008 at 02:38 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    142
    another thing I saw was the Ontario Rat-3. I liked it because it was all plain edge. I can't think of what I would cut with the serrated edge on the RC-3. They are cheaper than the RC-3 too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Alberta, Canada.
    Posts
    3,815
    The Buck 119 at Wal-Mart will be the same as any other Buck 119, so it should be ok.
    Buck uses 420HC so edge retention won't be as good as more modern alloys, but it won't be like the Chineese crap. For an all around outdoors field knife it should be ok.

    I would look at the Benchmade 10501 Rant Bowie (also available in a drop point model) for something with a little better materials at a very reasonable price.

    Bowie
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=44629
    Drop point
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=44855

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyKnives View Post
    I read a lot of people like the Buck 119 from walmart and then I read a post that said that WalMart can only sell it cheap because the steel is made in china. Is that true?
    No, it isn't.

    The Wal-Mart Buck 119's are the same as ones bought anywhere else, 420HC blades and made in the 100% made in the USA.

    The difference will be the sheath, Wal-Mart ones will have a synthetic sheath made in China, while ones bought at other stores and a little more expensive will have leather sheaths.

    For cleaning squirrel and rabbit, I personally would call a Buck 119 and an RAT RC3 both overkill. It could be done with both, but they are awful large for it, especially the Buck 119.

    A Buck 102 Woodsman would be a better choice to me.



    The stee

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    17,165
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyKnives View Post
    I read a lot of people like the Buck 119 from walmart and then I read a post that said that WalMart can only sell it cheap because the steel is made in china. Is that true? Does it matter where the still is?

    I plan on skinning small game - squirrel and rabbit. Is that too much knife?

    I had thought about the RC3, but I am not sure it is the right thing for my purpose. I did not want the Buck 110 because it is a folder and I am afraid it will be too hard to clean.

    Thank you.
    To my knowlege, Buck 119's are Buck 119's whether sold at Walmart or elsewhere. Made in USA by Buck with the same alloy.

    I have a Special 119 and a Pathfinder 105. I have always preferred the Pathfinder shape because I like to put my thumb out over the blade for better control of fine cutting operations like cutting or skinning and find that the guard on the 119 impedes this. YMMV on this, which is to say it would be a matter of personal preference as to what works for you. Certainly the 119 would do the job.

  7. #7
    IMO that is MUCH too much knife for small game. I like a 3" blade for such critters.

    it is more expensive, but I like the Bark River Fingerling for that exact task.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Panhandle of Fl
    Posts
    613
    I have one of the 119s from Wal-Mart great value for $36 mine didn't come with a leather sheath though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,865
    For rabbits and squirrels the 119 is huge! It is a great deal IMHO though!
    I wouldn't be afraid to use the 110 on small game, it doesnt get that dirty and it rinses out easily. I use my custom shop 110's on rabbits, squirrels, deer, geese, ducks and doves. They are awesome knives! Also the RAT RC-3 can be had in plain edge as well.
    If you are leaning that way I would definately buy the RC-3 not the ontario RAT 3.
    Its a much better knife IMHO.
    Good luck!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Claw Chris Lappe View Post

    A Buck 102 Woodsman would be a better choice to me.
    Thumbs up on the Buck 102.

    The Buck 102 is based on a design by the late COL Townsend Whelen who was one of the premier outdoorsmen of his day. He liked simple designs that worked and the 102 certainly falls in that camp.

    I bought mine 30 years ago and am now in need of a third new sheath, but the knife itself still looks and functions as new. It's a darn handy little knife and sees regular use while hiking, camping, fishing or hunting.

  11. #11

    Buck 119

    I got a Buck 119 Special yesterday at K-mart for 50% off store closing sale. Looks like all the other Buck 119s and it came with a very nice "leather" sheath

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by leotheknife View Post
    I got a Buck 119 Special yesterday at K-mart for 50% off store closing sale. Looks like all the other Buck 119s and it came with a very nice "leather" sheath
    that's why I bought mine at K-Mart also, theirs come with a leather sheath for just a few bucks more than Wal-Mart.

    Worth it to me, the synthetic one isn't to hot.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    northern saskatchawan
    Posts
    1,949
    I like the 119 as a fighter but it is not the best choice as a hunting knife.
    As a fighter though it is fantastic and only needs a little more grip to be perfect.

  14. #14
    I always wondered why Walmart selected the 119 as the buck fixed blade model they offered rather than the 102 or 105 models as these would be better all around hunting knives for most of the USA. The 119 may have an advantage over the smaller knives when it comes to elk, moose or bear.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,693
    The RC-3 is more expensive, but worth the price. It is a high end knife with a high end sheath and worth every penny. For small game, the RC-3 will work really very well. It can be had in plain edge or partially serrated.

    The buck 119 is not well suited for small game. It is a good knife though, just too long for the intended purpose. Not nearly as a good as the RC-3, but still a good knife. It has a classic style to it if you like that type of aesthetic. Some of the bucks also come with a nice leather sheath.

    I'd avoid the Ontario RAT-3 - they very unpredictable in terms of quality. Some people ended up with really good ones at a great price. However, lots of other people had problems and customer care is almost non-existent.

    Buck and RC-3 are good companies. Ontario seems to be a bit ify.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    17,165
    Quote Originally Posted by timsclips View Post
    I always wondered why Walmart selected the 119 as the buck fixed blade model they offered rather than the 102 or 105 models as these would be better all around hunting knives for most of the USA. The 119 may have an advantage over the smaller knives when it comes to elk, moose or bear.
    +1 on that.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Culhain View Post
    Thumbs up on the Buck 102.

    The Buck 102 is based on a design by the late COL Townsend Whelen who was one of the premier outdoorsmen of his day. He liked simple designs that worked and the 102 certainly falls in that camp.

    I bought mine 30 years ago and am now in need of a third new sheath, but the knife itself still looks and functions as new. It's a darn handy little knife and sees regular use while hiking, camping, fishing or hunting.
    Thanks. I had never seen the Buck 102. It looks more like that I might want.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    142
    What about the Buck Vanguard? Is that too big for small game? Is the larger blade "bad" when it comes to smaller game.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas 254-865-9956
    Posts
    963
    You can say what you want. But by grinding blades for a living for over 30 years, I can tell your that the two knives pictured are
    1. Ground on two different types of machinery.

    2. Have completely different edge geometries.

    3. Are stamped different.

    4. Fuller is completely different.

    5. Judging by the crispness to the finish of the blade grind likes, these blades are very different in RC hardness.

    And finally the design of the blade geometry is completely different at the ricasso edge junction. Two completely different philosophies here. Look almost like a knock off ween you really study them. I have seen Bucks make in China and Mexico both at Wally World. Heck. I bough a Mexican buck at Lowe's by not paying attention. I bought in in the box as gift. I was floored when I got home and took a close look at it.

    Bucks top of the line=read=real Bucks are make in Idaho, and Heat Treated by Paul Bos in Plant, On location! Not by some one named Som Cum Lo!

    M. Lovett

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    17,165
    Your point #5 is BS. You cannot tell the Rockwell hardness by the "finish of the blade grinds". Added: IN A PICTURE???

    Paul Bos does not heat treat every knife that comes out of the Idaho plant.
    Last edited by knarfeng; 11-09-2008 at 12:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •