Thread: Bark River Knives - Bravo 2

Bark River Knives - Bravo 2

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've been lurking on these forums awhile reading as much as I can.
    I am looking for a high-quality general purpose knife and am wavering between the Bark River Bravo 2 and the Rat RC-6. I considered the Ranger line of knives as well.

All indications from forum posts are that Bark River makes a very high quality knife. I can't seem to find too much on the durability, as that is very important for me. For instance there is loads of information and reviews showing how durable/reliable Fallkniven knives are, but I don't see anything on Bark River.

Do you guys have any opinion on Bark River knives, and specifically the Bravo 2?
    I love the handles on the RC6 - but then again a blaze orange Bravo 2 would suit me very well also.

Thanks!

p.s. I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, I cannot access search and read back as far as I could!
    Last edited by totaleclipse02; 11-18-2008 at 10:33 PM.

I, personally would go with the RAT.
    In my opinion it will be a better knife, plus Jeff Randall and Mike Perin are 100% GTG.
    You can always add an orange lanyard.

Here is their forum here.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=816

I don't believe I've ever read of a single report of durability problems with any BRKT, nor with their customer service. Get whichever tickles your fancy and don't worry about it. Fallkniven and RC will certainly also produce some fantastic and bomb proof blades. Buy any of those without concern.

I have 2 barkies and used to own a RAT. All are great knives from guys who know what knives are all about. Try each and see! Sell the one you don't like...
    Someday is today. Make your life count; don't just count the days.
    Proud Supporter of JK knives #2

I think the Bravo-1 was tested for a month by a bunch of Marines who beat the crap out of it & other knives, and said they liked it the best - so it must have held up ok. A-2 with a convex edge & good heat-treat, what's not to like?
    [present at the creation: previously incarnated as fishface, since 10/98]

the beatings will continue until morale improves

The Bravo is in a class by itself!

Really, the knives are apples and oranges. You cant go wrong either way.

I just did a review of the Rc 6, I would think its the way to go. 1095 holds a great edge and sharpens easier(textbook wise anyways)
    I found the handles perfect for me, I also find a knife like the BK7 fits rite in too. The micarta handles are very grippy, but not abbrasive and over all a nice knife.

Both different styles, barkies are more traditional, RAT's are more tactical,
    For the edge I love a good convex, so I give it to the Bravo.
    For toughness I would call a draw, both tough steels and both have excellent customer service as well so non issue I think.
    The one downside for the Bravo that I can see is the thumb ramp, which I don't overly like much, but I dislike coated blades as well. Really it will come down to your personal preference.

I've not handled the Bravo 2 but I did get to try out the Bravo 1 and it was bombproof. Solidly built and a very nice grind to. I know they were designed with the US Marines in mind and they were then tested/trialed by them and they said it was a great knife.

My thoughts are if they are happy with the durability and performance then you should be fine. So that was the Bravo 1 my thinking is the Bravo 2 will be just as good for durability but maybe a little more 'useful' as its designed has evolved from an already successful knife.

I sold most of my knives. I kept my Busse GW, HD-7 with a Tom Krein Grind AND my Barkie Woodland Speciall! Get a BRK&T knife, you'll love it.

Personally I like the Gamekeeper best, but they are all good solid knives. I think if I was going ot beat the hell out of it, and knew it ahead of time I would head towards a Rat Cutlery before a barkie. But thats just me.

I dont think you can go wrong witha Bravo.

I think Derrick hit the nail on the head: both good but like comparing apples and oranges.

I own an Ontario RAT-3 and a Bravo-1 (along with several other Barkies). Now, I understand the RC knives are better than the Ontarios, but Bark River knives stand alone. I'm biased: I like the Bravo, one or two.

Thread Information