Tactical Solutions (tactical.sol.com) builds those barrels with integral muzzle brakes. I've got one of their barrels on my Buckmark (sans comp). They make a nice product.
The whole family with my BK7 that arrived less than an hour ago. So far, everyone seems to be getting along nicely.
From top to bottom:
Camillus BK10 in Desert Tan
KA-BAR BK13 w/wrap
KA-BAR BK13 sans wrap
Ah yes that's some BK&T goodness. Not only are they great knives for just about any use, they're good looking too.
I like the speckled effect on the handle of the desert Camillus. It would be groovy if KaBar did that in OD green.
Hot damn, I just unpacked my BK2.
I'd been staring at this thing online for weeks, and despite being prepared... it's amazing how it just wants to be held!
It looks well built, as far as any building goes into such a tool. Maybe well "executed" is a better description. I like the ergonomics of the grip, and the grivory feels nice, but slick with dry hands. The Edge is plenty sharp from the factory.
The sheath is nothing to write home about, but functional. Nearly as sharp as the blade, so I skived the edges. It'll do.
I slipped (battled) some bicycle inner tube over the handle to provide some all-terrain grip. Easy enough to undo if I change my mind. The color matches the grips pretty well too.
Other minor mods I may do:
2) grind 1/16" off the butt end of the grivory scales to reveal the pointy rear steel tip of the tang.
3) lock-tite the grip screws.
What an awesome burly tool!
Last edited by daizee; 01-22-2010 at 01:20 AM.
I took these photos before using the knives shown.
I just freshened up this well used Camillus BK9 with some spray paint and buffed micarta scales.
The handles on the 77 and the 9 may get swapped. I'm not sure about the tan on tan, though.
eta: The finished handles are pretty much OD green, not the brownish color the pictures show.
Mark and paint detail. Rustoleum multicolored textured, Desert Bisque.
Last edited by never too sharp; 01-22-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Very nice NTS!
Thanks, man. Normally, I wouldn't have spent $40 on something that was unnecessary, but as it turns out, the handle scales were made in a shop just outside of town(D. B. Webb, Leicester, NY), so really I'm just supporting my local economy.
A shot of the handle, sorry for the glare.
Last edited by never too sharp; 01-22-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Ok, here again w/ the new Ka-Bar BK2 and Camillus BK11.
The BK11 has a more or less convexed edge, before I knew what that was - it was a poor job that I've been cleaning up after reading around here a lot. Now it's wicked sharp.
The BK2 is already modified, after only 2 days.
1: inner tube rubber handle cover
2: ground down the rear of the scales to expose the point of the tang (hard to see in the pic)
3: lock-tite'd the bolts
4: Heavily sno-sealed leather sheath panel with rubbing compound that is still settling into the raised region. This will work as a short strop, and the edges of the leather are for wiping a little wax onto the uncoated edge to prevent rust. Neat. I'll also add a leather fire steel carrier to the back when I pick up that little piece too.
Yesterday I chopped an inconveniently sized limb that has been hanging around the yard. Now it's short enough to move into the basement to trim to stove length on the chop saw. The knife performed well, tho I see the advantages of the convex edge for retouching after a beating. It's so new tho, so I'm not in a rush to do that yet.
I've been pondering some scales for my necker for awhile now, so tonight I decided to experiment. My woodworking skills are weak, and there are some half-finished mahogany scales down on the workbench. I haven't got the attachment details sorted out yet. A trip to the hardware store is required (must be removeable).
So tonight I experimented with a simple press rig and some leather.
The leather rectangles were cut out, wet at the sink, and squeezed around the knife.
By wet-molding the leather I got very nice cut lines and the leather conformed somewhat to the cut-outs in the handle. This ensures good alignment.
It feels a little odd with the grip sunken instead of raised, but that wasn't unexpected.
The next variation I'll try (never used a press before - fun!) will have 1/4" wood stock fit to the handle cut-outs. This should leave 1/16 raised on either side, around which I'll mold the leather. That will give a nicer handle shape, yet still show off the knife details.
All I did for this version was bevel the edges, dye and sheen.
There are only two sets of attachments because I couldn't scare up enough hardware without a trip to the store.
Fits in the sheath:
i was going to try and find some real "tool dip", in orange, i think...
though some industrial shrink wrap, in several layers, might do a trick too :>
Made a debris shelter before Christmas last year.
Went back to check on it today. Still intact, nice and dry inside.
Took my Camillus BK9 and a Mora Clipper along today.
Ok, the re-molded leather scales around some wood filler blocks for the cut-outs in the bk11 handle. Picture's a little dark and out of focus, I know. Impatience...
This is much better than the earlier version. I'll stick with this until I make some proper wooden scales - just getting practice with the new belt sander. The hardware store didn't have any better screws/posts, so it is what it is for now.
dealers. This may be one of the only times I admit to supporting trickle-down economics.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)