Thread: Helle Knives? Any experience with these?

Helle Knives? Any experience with these?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've seen a few of these at the local shop, and they really appeal to my sense of function and style.

Anyone put one to hard use or have a favorite model?

I'd like to hear from some people who not only collect, but seriously use.

Thanks.

Never used mine, but it's a nice piece. Well made, beautiful and traditional natural materials, and affordable. By all reviews, they make great user knives too. Try a search in the "Wilderness and Survival" forum you'll find lots of user reviews and field comments.

I have quite a few Helle's, the one on the Scandi fourm, that is spoken highly of, is the Fjelkniv.

The Fjelkniven, is a traditional all-purpose belt knife, that fits your hand like it was made just for you. Sharpe as all get out,and easy to keep that way.

I have the Helle Fire. Not only is the design beautiful including full tang for strength but the steel easily takes a razor edge. Helle uses laminated steel for strength and edge retention and it works well. I fully intend to get a few others with a Helle Safari next on the list.

I just bought *well put on layaway anyway* a Helle. I will show it to you next time we meet down there. I liked it alot and it fit my specs for fixed blade for EDC

IMO the Helle Eggen is one of the best knives for the money. Nice handle material and exceptionally good grind.

http://www.helleknives.com/product17.html

The Helle Brakkar is my go to knife in my picnic/camping box. It takes a great edge and has a nice low-hanging sheath. Also, it doesn't seem to mind being stored in the leather sheath(maybe being slathered with silicone could have something to do with that ). The laminated steel hasn't shown any corrosion in the two years or so that I have had it.

A great looking knife with real functionality.

Attached Images Attached Images

The only Helle I have is the Symfoni. I sharpen it on a 1000 grit waterstone flat to the scandi-grind. Then I'll take a few very light passes on the Sharpmaker fine stones before stropping. It's consistently the sharpest knife I own, though it gets good competition from a Bark River mini-Canadian.

They happen to be as Joe Biden says, a three letter word...SHARP!

Seriously, one of the sharpest knives I have experienced out of the box and they cut like crazy. Great knife!

I have the Helle Odell in birch and antler, great knife and wicked sharp.

I have the Odel as well. Great knife!

I have a Fjellkniven and Harding. Great knives. I love them for carving walking sticks, super sharp.
    Tusker User Group Member #13

Check out Slipjoint Addict on Facebook

My name is Dan

I think I own about 10-12 Helles, and two of the Nyng, I started collecting them while working in Norway a couple of years ago, they are great blades for the money, and the sheaths are well built and practical. The Nyng is probably my favourite; light weight and fits perfectly in-hand.

As far as hard use... these are not Busse's; they have wooden handles and are of relatively thin stock, definitely not meant for batonning. They are surprisingly tough though, I've only chipped one handle, but I never baton either. If you are looking for a reasonably priced knife you can baton, go for a RAT RC-4 or RC-6, but if you want a hand ground, beautiful, well made, easy to sharpen knife (the triple laminated steel is incredible) at a great price you can't beat a Helle.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" R.W.Emerson
    RATPACK #37

I took one in a partial trade and it works well

looks good to

Thread Information