Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VG-10 or AUS 8 ?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by DRod View Post
    I'd have to go with VG10. I have several AUS8 blades and a few of them have some rust spots.
    And I do clean and oil my blades. That makes it much more disappointing.
    Not to run this off track, but what type of finish are on your blades that have spotted?

The final blade finish makes a big difference on whether or not your blade will start spotting or showing signs of rust right away.
    Texas Peace Officer
    EDC: Red Jigged Bone Case Backpocket and SAK Alox Cadet with Ruger LC9
    Go Outside, we'll be here when you return

Quote Originally Posted by J's Knives-N-More View Post
    Not to run this off track, but what type of finish are on your blades that have spotted?

The final blade finish makes a big difference on whether or not your blade will start spotting or showing signs of rust right away.
    Not surprisingly, bead blasted. I know thats the main culprit but still a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by DRod View Post
    Not surprisingly, bead blasted. I know thats the main culprit but still a bummer.
    Ah, just as I suspected That has kept me away from any sort of beadblasting on blades as a finish. When I was first starting out with my collection I couldn't figure out why my gerbers were spotting so quickly and then my sog pentagon elite I did the same. After joining here I learned why. It's a PITA becuase I like the looks of the beadblast finish, but it doesn't last long with the micro-egg-crate looking surface holding in everything it touches.
    Texas Peace Officer
    EDC: Red Jigged Bone Case Backpocket and SAK Alox Cadet with Ruger LC9
    Go Outside, we'll be here when you return

Ironically enough, my Gerber Gator, beadblasted, doesn't have any rust spots. lol

OH well.

Quote Originally Posted by radu1976 View Post
    SANDVICK26 = BUICK

ATS-34 = BMW

S30V = ASTON MARTIN

ZDP-189 = MAYBACH or LAMBORGHINI ?

Good comparison. To carry it a step further:

S90V and CPM M-4 = Rolls Royce

good car comparison, vg-10 is far superior, razor sharp!
    aus8 is trash, CRKT uses it a lot and CRKTs are made for looks, not performance

Quote Originally Posted by bradpierson26 View Post
    I beg to differ (I'd say it stronger, but this area is rated G).
    NO STEEL IS TRASH. Some steels are just better for some uses than others.

VG10 has significantly better edge retention than AUS8.
    But, AUS8 is still a reasonable steel and gives a lot of EDC usage. AUS8 takes a razor edge and takes it without much work.

You might also want to rethink your manufacturer/usage comparison. Benchmade uses AUS8 also, as does Al Mar.

No steel is trash. Yes very true. VG10 is way better than aus8. Blade geometry has a lot to do with sharpness/retention/performance.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like to being taught.
    Winston Churchill

Get which ever the model you can and then use it.

Quote Originally Posted by J's Knives-N-More View Post
    Good choice of knives and welcome to bladeforums It's one of my favorites from SOG, next to the Pentagon Elite I which has the same handle.

There was a blade steel change last summer I believe. A lot of wholesale markets who sell to dealers that you find have all of the older models in AUS 8. The newer, upgraded blades have VG-10. Unfortunately it's hard to tell unless you buy from a dealer who knows what they are talking about. A lot of eBay sellers just cut and paste what is on the site and never take a second glance at what they are selling.

You'll have to ask before buying to see if the seller can personally check the blade to see if it's marked with VG-10. The AUS 8 blades will be plain and won't say anything on them, same goes for the Pentagon Elite I.

VG-10 would be the more desired blade steel since it holds an edge longer. Hope this helps, J.
    I just purchased, on 7-16-2009, a SOG pentagon elite 1 from Amazon. Had some concern about whether the blade was AUS-8 or VG-10, since it was not marked wtih either. Called Amazon and asked which, and they said
    VG-10. Still not convinced; so I called Amazon again and asked if they buy their SOG knives from another company or directly from SOG. Amazon said they buy directly from SOG. I then called SOG and asked them. I told them the blade was not marked VG-10, and they said it was defintely VG-10.

The blade is marked Seki Japan. But my SpyderCo Native, which is VG-10 and is marked as as such, also says Seki Japan. Purchased the Native in VG-10 instead of S30V because I had heard of complaints about S30V blades chipping. But have no personal knowledge about S30C steel.

Just providing info since I have read in numerous forums about owners wondering whether they had an Elite in AUS-8 or VG-10.

Lew

Hi Bfreader,

I would agree with some of the posts. There are many reasons for foundries to make steel. I don't think any of them think they are making a "bad" steel. As Knarfeng mentioned, all steels have better performance in some areas. Knife manufacturers select from available steels made by foundries.

There are a few steels that have been made specifically for blades, but even then, what type of "blade"? An axe likes different steel than a blender.

As you learn more about steels, you will understand more. It's a deep subject and the some of the visitors to blade-forums are among the most knowledgable available.

Because someone likes one steel better than another steel is only valuable to you if they can tell you why. "They like more edgeholding, or they like more corrosion resistance, etc." Then you can determine which characteristics are more important to you.

"All good, just different".

sal

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Glesser View Post
    Because someone likes one steel better than another steel is only valuable to you if they can tell you why. "They like more edgeholding, or they like more corrosion resistance, etc." Then you can determine which characteristics are more important to you.
    I couldn't agree more.

I have knives in both steels (skinners) and IMHO, can say that in real world use I have not really seen any difference. my son has a CS Pendleton in AUS 8 that has been used to gut out, skin and debone 3 or 4 deer and mouflon before needing a slight touch up. The newer models are made w/ VG-10 I believe.

My Skinners get sharpened and or stropped, to get them shaving after every use, so edge retention is really a moot point for me. Some need a hair more attention than others (this could arguably be my fault as I tend to shave more bone while deboning when I'm tired). With this as my standard they are all the same and all good stuff. Just my .02
    - Mike -

"TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF"

Quote Originally Posted by bradpierson26 View Post
    I wouldn't use CRKT's AUS-8 as a basis for comparison to other steels, as I don't think they're the best representation of the steel (AUS-8). Try some Spyderco or Al Mar AUS-8, or even Ka-Bar or Cold Steel AUS-8, then we'll talk!

As far as what you said about CRKTs being "made for looks," I would have to disagree. Though I don't feel CRKT is tops when it comes to their chosen steels' performance, they would certrainly use something like 420J2 or 3Cr13 across the board if their knives were only "made for looks."

Regards,
    3G

I think that sog makes the best AUS-8 out of anyone I have ever seen. I've owned Benchmade S30V, Spyderco CPMD2 and although it may not keep the edge, My sog has had the sharpest blade so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman888 View Post
    I think that sog makes the best AUS-8 out of anyone I have ever seen. I've owned Benchmade S30V, Spyderco CPMD2 and although it may not keep the edge, My sog has had the sharpest blade so far.
    Sorry, I forgot to include SOG in the 'makers that use and properly treat AUS-8.' SOG's stuff in AUS-8 is very good!

Regards,
    3G

Quote Originally Posted by radu1976 View Post
    SANDVICK26 = BUICK

ATS-34 = BMW

S30V = ASTON MARTIN

ZDP-189 = MAYBACH or LAMBORGHINI ?
    M390=rolls royce

It's true that the heat treat is important. The Spyderco Resilience I have (8Cr13MoV) outcut other 8Cr13MoV I have (Sanrenmu) or even 9Cr13MoV (Navy marked as '440C).

I like VG-10 way more! It takes a polished bevel very well, and holds an edge for a very long time. It's not a super duper steel, but it works great. It is also more rust resistant than AUS-8. I am speaking from my experience with Spyderco VG-10 btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris "Anagarika" View Post
    It's true that the heat treat is important. The Spyderco Resilience I have (8Cr13MoV) outcut other 8Cr13MoV I have (Sanrenmu) or even 9Cr13MoV (Navy marked as '440C).
    Sanrenmu makes the Chinese Spydercos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information