Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: some projects

ADVERTISEMENT
    Here's a maple handled utility knife, similar handle idea to the last dirk. Blade and handle are each 5.5 inches. The maple has subtle figure, but I didn't (by luck) pick the most highly figured piece. Photos is only sanded down to 120, so it will pop a lot more at 400

Yet another leuku pattern bushie and the first pocket nessie I've done in a while.

Examples of botht he large and the small Mills pattern blades

Sweet!!! I dig the maple one! Pocket nessie too.

Sitting on my desk right now. It's a LOT of handle. Balance is purty good. I can see it working out with a 6 or 7 inch blade starting with 5/32 and some distal taper. But this is a good solid knife, I like the feel

yeah, blade seems a touch short, but it looks really good. Nice shape on the mills pattern.

Oh, that's me being a crappy photographer. Blade is just as long as the handle, and it's about the right size for utility work. I'd go for an extra inch or inch and a half as a bow hunting knife.

5.5" is a good all-around length. Why would you want it longer for bow-hunting? I like the dirk-style handle too. A big handle always appeals to me.

I'm gonna have to get you to make me leuku some day.

Oh, here in California if you are bowhunting you aren't allowed to take a firearm. So you can't finish game with a shot, you have to either keep sticking arrows in or use a knife. And I'd just as soon have a bit more blade for that

Good point. That Spanish dirk would seem to fit the bill for dispatching game. In Wyoming, we carry guns.

I'm 50/50- I don't like the idea of not being able to carry a gun AT ALL when bowhunting, but I can accept the potential for misuse of special tags, and don't mind the idea that I'm not supposed to shoot game at all.

For me it's just peace of mind. I won't take a shot unless I know with certainty that the arrow will do it's job. But having a .357 at hand is a guarantee that an animal won't suffer if some unforeseen circumstance should arise. It's never come up really, but I like knowing it's there. I suppose a knife with reach can do that to a degree as well.

Well, an 8 inch 1/8" spined dirk blade with this style handle is something I've been mulling over - and I'd call it the archer's knife Have to send mike one, of course

Quote Originally Posted by koyote View Post
    A little bit of catchup of photos that just got dumped into a directory over the past few weeks.

This is the texan

Woo hoo!

The weather is forcing me to use a flash and the photos aren't that great.

Top: Smaller Mills pattern knife handled in jatoba, roughed out to 80 grit so far

Bottom: a skinner/utility I started about a week before Andy sent me his design. eeeeeeenteresting.

bocote palm skinner and ipe pocket nessmuk:

the palm skinner has a really nice fat handle and feels wonderful

A tan canvas bushcrafter on order, cleaning up the handle and front area and it's done.

Osage orange new handle style (it's like the dirk handles but shorter. don't know what to call it) general wilderness/bushcrafting blade, about 5 inches.

the maple one with the longer blade. I promise the handle is pretty, it's just been soaking in tung oil and hasn't been buffed out yet. Shoulda redone the pics before I soaked it in. But this gives a better idea of the blade length.

damn Christof..... damn. I LIKE those !!!

I will, somehow, get an actually decent photo of the maple one tomorrow. The Mills pattern isn't like my normal stuff, the shaped handle has a definite desire to be held a certain way, and I usually do more variable handles= but damn, it is COMFORTABLE in the preferred grip. I'm not changing my overall strategy or anything, but I'll make some of those. It's a handy nessmuk variant pattern. The larger one is a treat for a larger wilderness knife, more like the not-recently-seen wilderness model 2 knives.

The bocote palm skinner is just about perfect. still a small knife, but a real hand filling grip and very good tip and belly usability. I think the bigger pins help out aesthetically Koyote Girl is going to give that one a flap sheath.

This is seriously the 5th or 6th time I have come back to take a peek at those blades in the last hour and a half.

That Osage Bushcrafter looks...perfect.

i am liking the dirk handle on those littler blades. definatly gives them a whole different personality. good work.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information