Thread: Woodsman Folding Buck Saw 24"

Woodsman Folding Buck Saw 24"

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ben's Backwoods sells a 24" woodsman folding buck saw. Here is the link:

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=413

For my bushcrafting jaunts, I typically carry a Gerber pocket hatchet, a Buck 110, a SAK huntsman and a saw. Sounds like a lot of stuff but really not so bad. Also bordering on heresy as I no longer carry a fixed blade bushcraft knife. The hatchet and 110 are on a belt. The SAK is in my pocket, where it is every day. The saw fits in my pack.

Anyway, I saw a lot of wood and find that my current saw, a cheap Wally World knock off of a Silky Saw, needs to be sharpened after sawing through the first log. I am looking for something that will keep its edge longer or the blade can easily be replaced. I also want something that I can carry in my day pack.

Has anyone used this saw? Advantages/disadvantages over a Sven? Other recommendations?

Thanks

I really like the Silky Zubat 330mm for a larger saw. It will handle 6-8" logs, if need be (larger if you can rotate the log or move the saw while cutting). Hardened to R 67, hardchromed blade for lubricity/corrosion resistance, weighs a bit over a pound, will fit in a daypack or hang on belt. To me, it feels a little more stable than the giant Silky folders but I'm sure they'd be fine too. Another nice feature is no assembly required when you want to use it. Just pull it out of the sheath and let 'er rip.

www.benmeadows.com and www.knife-depot.com tend to be a bit cheaper than the Silky factory store.

DancesWithKnives

Connecticut surrounded by liberals unfortunately
    I saw one of these at Jack Mountain Bushcraft a few years ago on a course. It is well made and very traditional looking. For the money, I'd rather have a folding saw by Bahco or a Sven Saw. I'm just not partial to wooden saws.
    Kev

Head Instructor/Owner
    Estela Wilderness Education
    www.kevinestela.com

Find Estela Wilderness Education, LLC on Facebook and become a fan!

Thread Information