Thread: help ID'ing old Mauser/Golden State Arms .308 bolt

help ID'ing old Mauser/Golden State Arms .308 bolt

ADVERTISEMENT
    A rifle purchased from a HS buddy who told me "It is a Enfield Mauser"...that is what was said.

The disassembled bolt has been a riddle to put back together, the rifle is a .308 Golden State Arms Santa Fe Trailmaster..

Okay, notice the bolt handle is turned down, and it has two locking lugs, and if the rifle is cocked with the bolt handle pulled back, if you flip the safety onto "safe" the bolt will disassemble itself, and for 6 years, no local gunsmith has been able to either A. ID the bolt or B. reassemble it again.

A ID or gunsmith referral would be appreciated.

About a half-bubble off plumb, in Missouri
    I doubt if your's is put together the same as this one, but the site at least looks like a good place to start.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...mbly/index.asp

Quote Originally Posted by proud2deviate View Post
    I doubt if your's is put together the same as this one, but the site at least looks like a good place to start.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...mbly/index.asp
    Thanks my man, but I've googled every possible Mauser configuration, and spent time looking through the surplus rifle archives and places like GunBroker.com or AuctionArms.com and came up mostly dry.

Golden State was incoherent when it came to parting together rifles, and this one has the 5 dr fixed mag, but not quite a mauser bolt..

I've heard it said it could be a Gen 1 Mauser, as in 1888 or so, but the ones on Ebay don't look like this one.

Try this book it has all variations, maybe you can find one locally: A COLLECTOR'S GUIDE TO MILITARY RIFLE DISASSEMBLY AND REASSEMBLY by Stuart C. Mowbray & Joe Puleo. My copy is missing so I can't help you.

You can try www.mausercentral.com there should be someone there that can help you out.

I've seen a few of Golden State's 1944 "sporterized" Enfields over the years. They were also well known for faking Enfield No. 5 Jungle carbines parted with cut down barrels, etc.
    Last edited by JB in SC; 01-13-2009 at 06:49 PM.
    Jerry ~

Thread Information