Thread: How to clean a rusty old machete?

How to clean a rusty old machete?

ADVERTISEMENT
    As a gift, a friend bought me a rusty machete What would be the best way to clean it? And there's what looks like a half of a sticker on the blade (in Spanish) so what would be the best way to effectively remove that? Thanks in advance,
    Lena

PS- on the non sticker side, it says: "GAVILAN DE INCOLMA COLOMBIA" and there is the logo of an eagle. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Lena; 02-07-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Shower it in WD-40 and let it sit for like 10mins then wipe it like a beast.
    (Dont know if it'll work but it's worth trying, i guess)

The sticker should come off easily with acetone. Flitz metal polish with a cloth will remove rust.

You can find "rust erasers" for between $5-10 usd. Basically a cheap stone, but it works like a charm on all of my old tools, scissors, shovels, etc. :-)

30 years ago, anything badly rusted we used to leave soaking in coca-cola in a sealed container for a few months - especially good for parts that had rusted together. I know it sounds weird but it worked - possibly because of the phosphoric acids and tannins. Don't know if it still works with the current c-c formula's though.

Other than that it's back to abrasive scourers and elbow grease. You can also get rust removing pads that work off an electric drill but these can cost more than the machete's worth

I prefer to use 200grit sand paper to get rid of pretty bad surface rust, after all the rust is gone, I start to go up in grits to get a more polished finish.

As befor,sand away the rust with some aluminium oxide paper,then apply some phosphoric acid based "rust eaters" and finally some sort of barrier to prevent further oxidation-spray grease works well on my machetes.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio_luiz View Post
    30 years ago, anything badly rusted we used to leave soaking in coca-cola in a sealed container for a few months - especially good for parts that had rusted together. I know it sounds weird but it worked - possibly because of the phosphoric acids and tannins. Don't know if it still works with the current c-c formula's though.
    Yeah, it was the phosphoric acid. Same as in naval jelly and other rust removers as metalfof pointed out. (Also the same stuff that depletes the calcium from your bones if you drink too much of it.) The only difference between old or "real" Coke and new or "Classic" Coke is- the old formula was made with sugar, the new is made with corn syrup. Minimal effect on rust-removing properties.

My method involved some or all of the following, depending on how bad the rust was, and/or what I had available to work with. Oil or WD-40, Brass wire brush, *bead-blasting cabinet, wire wheel, sandpaper, sand, abrasive sponge, flitz or other polishing compound, lots of elbow grease.

Good luck.

*If you try a sand-blaster, rather than a bead blaster, be very careful- they can remove a lot of material quickly and unevenly. You may have a difficult time getting the blade flat again, or end up with a blade much thinner than you started with.
    Last edited by MacHete; 02-08-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: clarification
    Be Worthy

Speaking of wierd rust removal... dont forget:
    tea (tannic acid)
    vinegar (acetic acid)

if you have a dremel,use the sanding wheel,,or just plain ole sandpaper with elbow grease,,

Don't forget the bottom line: It's a machete! Cut down a Brazilian rain forest or a path thru a jungle.

That should remove the rust.

After that, use a Sharpmaker on it, then some Turtle-Wax and put it in your shed.

Hoppe's #9 and some steel wool!

o.O so many options. But has anyone heard of GAVILAN DE INCOLMA COLOMBIA?

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    o.O so many options. But has anyone heard of GAVILAN DE INCOLMA COLOMBIA?
    Yes. I have at least one or two. I couldn't say how they compare to Trams, Collinses or Cornetas or other makes, though, because I've never done side-by-side tests. I think they are all pretty comparable in quality and performance, though perhaps not cost.
    Be Worthy

So...

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    As a gift, a friend bought me a rusty machete What would be the best way to clean it? And there's what looks like a half of a sticker on the blade (in Spanish) so what would be the best way to effectively remove that? Thanks in advance,
    Lena

PS- on the non sticker side, it says: "GAVILAN DE INCOLMA COLOMBIA" and there is the logo of an eagle. Any ideas?
    Where do you live (Country, State/Province, County, etc)? Maybe someone is nearby that could assist you.

Thanks,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Jarhead View Post
    Hoppe's #9 and some steel wool!
    I've always used 3 in 1 oil but Hoppes would work just fine too.

A wire wheel in a drill would work for heavier rust.

Quote Originally Posted by lerner View Post
    Speaking of wierd rust removal... dont forget:
    tea (tannic acid)
    vinegar (acetic acid)
    Or weirder: SnoBowl toilet cleaner. If used with a brass brush, the copper from the brass will transfer over to the steal, giving it an interesting if not so durable coating.

I tried this with a bunch of old tools (rusty as hell wrenches, sockets, etc.) and some blade metal and seems to be holding up so far on the tools. The main thing is that the acids (WEAR GLOVES! it burns) will eat the rust like tribbles eating quatrotritikaeli ("It vas inwented in Russia ).

Jim L.

Popcorn picker is the only one I agree with. Use the heck out of it, and the rust will wear off all on its own! To keep it that way, keep using it.

Use WD-40 and some 00 steel wool. wipe all the rust off and then lightly coat with a suitable light oil.

Thread Information