Thread: Denatured alcohol to dry wood

Denatured alcohol to dry wood

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have spoken with a couple of woodturning guys who swear by using denatured alcohol to dry wood. They soak the block in the alcohol for a period of time, then wrap it paper letting it dry for a while. There is some info on the web if you search on it, but I was wondering if any of you have tried it first hand. I plan on trying it out just out of curiosity.

Thanks,
    Tad Lynch

An old chemist speaking here.

This works because of the miscibility of water and ethanol. They will mix, or diffuse, into a homogemous liquid.

When a piece of wood with a high moisture content - AKA "Green Wood" - is soaked in denatured alcohol, the water in the wood and the alcohol outside will mix until the percentage is equal. Then, when you let the alcohol evaporate, it will leave much less water behind in the wood. Simple enough....

Here is the rub for knife work.
    The woodturners who do this are doing it on rough turned green wood bowls. The wall thickness is fairly thin. The other thing is that when a woodworker says the wood is "stabilized" he means that the moisture content is equal with the ambient air moisture. That is a very different thing then when a knife maker says that a piece of wood is stabilized ( impregnated with a resin). A wood turner is perfectly happy with 10-15% moisture content, compared to the 30-40% green wood.
    The process also does not work on any dense or resinous woods. It works well on soft, wet woods, like holly, poplar,buckeye, box elder,etc.
    When I used to turn a lot, I used alcohol a few times, but switched to PEG "stabilizers" ( which won't work for knives at all).
    It also takes a good volume of alcohol to make sure the water becomes a minor percentage of the final mix.

Alcohol drying won't penetrate too deeply ( at least not fast), so it might work on scales, but blocks may be too thick. There is still a good chance of some warpage with the alcohol treatment. That is why woodturners pre-turn the wood leaving some extra to take off on the lathe and make it round again.

As a treatment to speed up drying before resin stabilization, alcohol might be of some use, but at the price of several gallons of alcohol, - just letting it air dry for six months to a year may be a better method.

Stacy
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

I have done it with acetone as well. It does not seem to take a long to soak or dry the wood.

http://www.acrichardscustomknives.com
    Avatar Scott Taylor Memorial Scholarship Knife
    Photo by Bob Glassman
    Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
    OTAC USN Retired

Email woodchuckforge@gmail.com

Drying wood quickly can also cause warping and checking. Whats the rush?

There is this marvelous new invention
    Kiln drying

A microwave will do it. Haven't tried it.One of the gun makers used this to dry wood for stocks.
    Salt will do it too ! In the '60s there was a shortage of gunstock wood so Browning decided to speed up drying by treating them with salt to pull out the moisture.It worked but you had some salt remaining in the wood !! If you take the stock off you'll see that where it touched the metal , the metal is rusted !!! Not recommended !

Thread Information