Thread: How do I bond Rubber to steel?

Alive in the Suburban Desert of Phoenix Arizona

How do I bond Rubber to steel?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Anyone have a fool proof method for bonding Hard rubber to steel?
    Have some 80 durometer rubber sheets I would like to use for handle scale material.
    What would be the best way to bond it, so it will stand up on a heavy use blade?

80 Duro should hold up ok, as there's a lot of neoprene handles out there these days....

You'll need to flatten and rough the side that's touching the steel (I'd recommend bead/sand blasting both the handles (tape off sections you don't want blasted) and the scales...

Then, use an epoxy with a longer cure time (not the 30 minute stuff)..... You should be fine with that. 3m also has some stuff (durabond I think) that will hold anything, just don't get it on yourself......

MT

My experience with the hard rubber stallmat is that superglue holds better than epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by bikermikearchery View Post
    My experience with the hard rubber stallmat is that superglue holds better than epoxy.
    What he said, super glue loves rubber and clean steel.

Richard

There is a special black epoxy for bonding ruber to steel. IIRC, K&G sells it in their catalog. System Three T-88 is also rated for this use.
    Stacy
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

RTV / Silicone works well..

When I did neoprene to steel, I avoided all epoxies. Most are simply too brittle for a material that will flex like rubber.

I eventually found myself in an autobody store and asked what they use to bond carbody accessories to sheet metal on the exterior of cars. he sold me a tube of black adhesive that dries almost the same flexibility as neoprene.

I think mainly you are just sealing...I know the neoprene handles I did hardly even needed to be glued. Even after drilling, I had to drive the pins into the holes and upon test-fitting, it was a bitch to get the handles back off even without glue since the neoprene held the pins so snugly.

I haven't tried everything, but I had an application where I had to bond to rubber in a production application. It can be tricky because the wax processing aids used in rubber. We had adhesive reps come out and I even talked to engineers at 3M and Loctite. For our application we had the best luck with a super glue. The best was:

3M pronto CA40H. It is about $20 an ounce.

But we ended up using something by 3bond because it worked almost as well an was much less expensive

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life"

Radius platens, hard flat platens, chillers for TW90 http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php/1216606

I second the atv silicon rubber
    Bill Burke
    ABS Master Smith, 2008

Plain old contact cement works well.

i have been using neoprene for years on my knives and plain old superglue has worked the best for me. i had to remove a scale one day to replace it and had a hard time to get it off.
    I offer professional knife sharpening 40 years of experience, 22 with the paper wheels. $1. per inch for a v edge, $2 for a convex. I sharpen all edges & "Ti" knives, serrations. plus i do regrinds. Check out my website.http://sites.google.com/site/richardjsknives/Home

Alive in the Suburban Desert of Phoenix Arizona
    Thanks for the advice...tried contact cement and it bonded the rubber together very well, still need to try bonding it to steel.
    Also tried K&G 24hr epoxy and that worked but did not stand up to the "Whack it against the cement test" very well. held to the steel but there was a clean break at the rubber. No evidence that it had really gripped the rubber well.
    Your obsevations are correct a hard/brittle epoxy bond is not compatible with flexable material like rubber.
    Will give RTV a try tonight and post the results tomoorrow.
    My reservation with Superglue is the whole Moisture/Water and shock issue of it failing as a bonding agent.

Thread Information