Thread: Mora Companion-Tomahawk, 12" Machete, or Khuk-Most Versatile

Mora Companion-Tomahawk, 12" Machete, or Khuk-Most Versatile

ADVERTISEMENT
    Assuming that you already have a basic knife like a Mora, which do you think would be the most versatile and useful companion to it...Khukuri (12" or 15"), 12" Machete, or Tomahawk. I'm not looking at hatchets or axes. I've been doing some mods and reprofiling on a CS Norse hawk. It's lightweight and razor sharp now. Probably could use it like an Ulu. I used to be a Khuk person and was leaning towards the machete but lately since I've been working with my various hawks, I'm thinking that's the way to go. Uses to include chopping, skinning, backup cutting, batoning, shelter building, and anything else that you can think of.

I would say I would choose a machete from your choices. However a big camp knife could also be your best option. For example a Busse Battle Mistress. I've found that this style of knife gives you the most flexibility of tasks.

Also you might want to consider a good folding saw to combine with your Mora, they work very well as a pair.

Depends on the uses. Tomahawk for wood, machete for more springy type vegetation. If I were in nettles and scrub, I'd want a machete. If I were in hardwood, I'd want the hawk.

Area is key, where I am now? Tomahawk or kuk, but Im not into kuk's. And machetes for jungle, or lush areas.

I've never seen a hawk I'd take in preference to my Golok so I'm going to say a machete for versatility and perhaps khuk for the heavier stuff. Personally, I'd go with a machete and saw over a khuk to give a more rounded package, but then I'm not too clued up on khuks.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalM View Post
    I would say I would choose a machete from your choices. However a big camp knife could also be your best option. For example a Busse Battle Mistress. I've found that this style of knife gives you the most flexibility of tasks.

Also you might want to consider a good folding saw to combine with your Mora, they work very well as a pair.
    I've actually thought about getting a small folding saw but for the purposes here it doesn't seem very versatile in the number of uses in comparison to the other choices.

I mostly use a slender khukuri,as machete,hawk,drawknife etc. Get one from Himalayan Imports.

a bolo machete does most everthing i can think of. plus tramontina make one for like $7. i would also consider a golok, especially the soon to come condor version. the main advantage of the condor is that it comes with a reall nice sheath, but the tram dosent.

green springy wood /plants Machete/ Long thin blade
    harder woods khukuri/ Golok/ Machete with thicker spine and convected.

convexed and tuned up machetes work real well here in the western Oregon rain forest.
    I have lots of hardwood brush and fir trees they work extremely well on.
    if you do the mods that Pict shows or off the map outfitters offer you are set.
    With a scandi and a folding saw it's deluxe. i have been using one of the Bacho Laplander saws that kershaw has their name on and really like it!
    Ted

For versitility I have to say:

Hammer, skinner, drawknife, plus accessory knives top the usefullness of this tool IMO

Thread Information