Thread: G 96

G 96

ADVERTISEMENT
    I had a friend come by today and asked me to put a new handle on his knife its a cheap old old fillet knife. After i heated the handle and chisled it off the brand G 96 APPEARED.On the blade it says Flex fillet 2020 . What type of steel is this maybee ats34 .????????? i am having a hell of a time to try and drill pin holes as there were none from before for pin stock. ANy suggestions are appreciated. Ive drilled hardened steel but knothing like this I cant hardly put a mark on it and resharpend a centre punch after one hit . It took the tip clean off my centre punch wow. I would guess RC of in the 60 s plus. The blade flex s unbelievable.My friend says it hold s a edge like no other knife he has had. please help me to figure out how to drill these holes. I dont want to take the temper out and i did try some mild heat. kellyw

You might need a carbide cutter.

Keith i phone my friend told him the trouble he said he has a cousin who owns a fasinall store they might have bits he said he is going to phone in the morning. You say carbide cutter is that a drill bit . Do they make a diamond bit that would drill through this blade ? Thanks kellyw

Carbide mill, carbide drill, or use a diamond or stone in a dremel...

Kelly I got some cheap diamond-coated hole cutters from Harbor Freight that I used to put holes in stone; I think they'd drill through hardened steel too, slowly. Let me know, I'll send them to you if you like and you can give them a shot. Or if you have a HF store nearby you can get them for a few bucks. I think it'd work, though I've never tried drilling hardened steel with them.

thanks any how guys ,and dave thats very kind and generous of you send me a picture of what they look like. I bought some diamond coated dremel bits that are probably simular. They score the hardened steel easy so i would think they moght drill through but they are small. hellgap50@hotmail.com what ive done is scored or ruffed it up real good and epoxy the handle on. My friend said the knife was 10 or 15 bucks 40 years ago but he said its his best and favorite knife. I hand sawed the wood he gave me a big block of new zealand iron wood . wow killer wood and niceto work with has the snake wood look hard as hell and smells like shit when you sand it so definately iron wood family. I sanded to 400 and buffed and then polished the blade to 400 grit and buffed i never got out all the deep scratches but he told me to leave the blade cuzz it has a etched logo on it so i buffed till it was 10 times better than it was lol. I wish i had a before and after. My friend said the knife holds a edge better than any knife he has ever had thats why he wants it redone . you would think it is a piece of junk but the steel is better than anything ive ever seen. ill show a picture tommorrow. kellyw

Good work Kelly, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Here are the bits I bought:

HF Diamond Bits

I know little of blade smithing, but I do know a little about G96 brand knives. My grandfather gave me his fillet knife, it's a G96 2078. They are a Japanese copy of Buck Knives, the quality of these knives have surpassed that of Buck only because of the stainless steel. These Japanese knives are of superior quality in "sharpenability," edge holding, flex and toughness. A buck will have a better handle, but the G96 has a better blade. This is a line of knives that were imported and offered for sale in the back pages of prominant outdoor magazines from the late '70s throught the '80s by a company, Jet Aer Corp, of Patterson NJ. I love the way the knife handles, even with its cheep plastic handle. Tell your friend he is lucky to have such a blade. As far as knives go, Its not a pretty one to look at, but damn does it do what it needs to.

Interesting post, thanks Del. And welcome to BF!

Just re handled my G96 2020

Ran across this thread... just finished my knife. Handle is Lignum Vitae with stainless rivets. I used a cheap 3/16th carbide masonry bit to drill the holes after burning out 5 other hss bits. This is my first knife project. I'm a chef and use this blade a work.

Pics here,

http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=P1000238.jpg
    Rich
    Last edited by preggo12000; 02-02-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: bad url

A couple of days ago i bought this G96 filleting knife from the unsold stock of a long gone knife & fishing shop.
    It is still like new and the edge for the most part was still able to shave hair on skin level, but after i gave it a few passes on the polishing paper wheel it can also whittle hair easily.
    The steel is indeed very hard, harder than Globals and Kai Shuns, and the thin & flexible blade sings while being polished.
    The handle looks and feels a bit cheap but handles well, and the sheath is also functional.

Specs:

Steel: unknown stainless
    Hardness: most likely harder than 60 HRC
    Overall length: 12,6 inch (32,0 cm)
    Blade length: 7,8 inch (19,8 cm)
    Length cutting edge: 7,4 inch (18,9 cm)
    Blade thickness: max 1,5 mm
    Weight without sheath: 135 grams
    Weight with sheath: 202 grams
    Last edited by kwackster; 08-25-2010 at 04:21 AM.

G-96 Knife

That knife is awesome! I became a member of bladeforums just to find out where I can get one of these knives? Can u help me? Do u know anyone who wants to sell me one? How much was it?

Cheers From a keen fisherman Nick

g96 Knife

I just ran across a G96 on Ebay.. It is item 230579444527.

(( rules violations ))
    Last edited by Esav Benyamin; 10-07-2011 at 09:40 PM.

OK, I think you should read over the rules before you try and sell stuff in bladesmith Q and A. you have to do that over in the exchange and also have to have a gold membership. read the rules and then go for a second post.

Thread Information