Thread: RC-5 Great, RC-4 Better!

RC-5 Great, RC-4 Better!

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was lucky enough to find a RC-5 plain edge in green with tan sheath. First of all it's impressive. The thing is built like a crowbar and damn sexy too. But I keep going back to my RC-4. The size and weight are darn near perfect for every chore. I can appreciate that the RC-5 is a purpose built beast, but the 4 is so much more adaptable. I wonder what everyone's thought's are comparing the two blades.

Good question. I just picked up an RC-4 (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=637550) and I've been wondering the same thing. I find 4" of cutting edge to just about perfect for what I personally need; if anything, a little less versus more might be my bent. I guess it all comes down to your needs, intentions and skill set?

The 4 (and the 6) are designed as multi-purpose blades with adaptability being the primary goal. The RC-5 is more purpose-built, losing versatility in certain areas in order maximize its performance in others.

I love my RC4, I just picked up a RC5 also. I was fishing on sunday with the kids and I needed to knock a few limbs out of the way. The RC4 was on my side but I went and grabbed the RC5 out of the truck (brought it with me just in case) to chop the limbs out the way. Only used it for that, then back to the RC4 to clean the fish when done. I wish I could carry all of them at one time.. lol

What I will do hunting is carry my RC5 with the RC3 in the pocket..
    Last edited by Stump_250; 04-14-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Stump, hows the 4 work for cleaning fish? That's one thing I haven't tried with mine yet.

I thought it did pretty good. A little thick, I think the 3 would have been easier to gut with but I was dirty and it was in the house. Brim is kind of small for the RC4 but I managed. I think a good combo would be the RC3 and the RC5 for what I was doing.

I think the RC-4 is the better all around woods knife. However, if I go down in the Colorado Rockies, I'd rather have my RC-5. I know that it is darn near indestructible, not that the RC-4 is a slouch either. Actually, either would be fine, but the RC-5 is really built for just such an emergency. I always keep my feathers numbered...............

I finally have an RC-4 and I like the size. It is easy to carry on my running shorts during exercise. With my shirt over it no one notices if I do see others on the trails I run on.

I don't have a 5 but I dropped my BK-9 from the line up for when I go hunting and only carry the RC-4 and a skinner (Helle Fjellman). Oh!-and my Kershaw Scallion is always with me. I don't want the weight and even in a survival situation, the RC-4 will handle it.

The RC5 is built to be an indestructible tank, and it succeeds. My RC4 would easily perfom most duties without fail, even in a survival situation. The RC5 and sheath are now a survival kit in and of themselves. The RC4 pulls EDC duty mostly due ti it's great design and excellent sheath system.

Still, I don't get something.
    The whole range of RC knives, starting with the Izula and ending with the RC-6 but without the RC-5, would cover everything you might need.
    So why buy an RC-5?

I know one reason: Its friggin' awesome
    Btw, I didn't stop me, I love it!

Thread Information