Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: "Yeller" Handles

The north of Sweden, Ostersund, Jamtland.

ADVERTISEMENT
    SunnyD, That Case birdseye stockknife is realy a sight. Regarding to the nailnick its a rather small one is it?

I once had a gerber LST stockman that mabye could pass as a shadow. It was made the same way as the lockback LSTs but also had metall liner on one side. I gave it to my sister who now uses it for her occational trips into nature. I still has the pleasure keeping it sharp for her.

Bosse

Here are a few yeller fellers:

Effective Congress there alright!

In the cypress swamps of the great peninsula, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NirreBosse View Post
    SunnyD, That Case birdseye stockknife is realy a sight. Regarding to the nailnick its a rather small one is it? . . . Bosse
    Small nail-nick?. Sure, but so is the knife.. The knife is 3 1/4 inches closed and it is perfectly proportionate with the knife. And works well with your finger. Its a great knife and I wish I had more. I often wonder why WR Case doesn't bring that pattern back in CV as it is one fine Jim Dandy of a pattern for the working Man & Woman..

Quote Originally Posted by jackknife View Post
    Ya know, all this talk and fine pics of yellow handles has me wondering; when did they start using yella handles?

I remember them being around as a kid in those years just after WW2, but were they around in the 30's?

Yellow celluloid?
    OK then.. After reading through Steve Pfeiffer's new Case reference, Levines 4th Ed, Goings, Sargent's and several older Schrade's and Sheffield's catalogs and references, I truly believe that although "Yellow" man made composite may have perhaps been available in the 1930's.. it just did not become popular as a scales--handles material until the 1940's when it appeared and emerged as such.

Anthony

The north of Sweden, Ostersund, Jamtland.
    SunnyD. Sorry for me writing so its hard to understand what I mean. I ment that I used the nailnick as a referens to how big the knife was overall. My guessing was that the knife was a rather small one. The nailnick seams to be well in proportion with the knife.
    I should have asked you instead: How big is that stockman?

Bosse

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NirreBosse View Post
    SunnyD. Sorry for me writing so its hard to understand what I mean. I ment that I used the nailnick as a referens to how big the knife was overall. My guessing was that the knife was a rather small one. The nailnick seams to be well in proportion with the knife.
    I should have asked you instead: How big is that stockman?

Bosse
    Hello Bosse,

Not at all.. No need to explain. I did not take offence to your post in any way.. To the contrary.. Your question was well founded as I gaze at the photo again, I can see your point and the nail nick does appear small from that angle, which is a little deceiving to its actual size and true functioning capability.

Anthony

Just received this afternoon an Eye Brand (Schlieper) carbon steel stockman (produced by Olbertz in Solingen).

The fit and finish was reasonably decent with no blade play in the clip or sheepfoot and a bit of play in the spey. Scales, grinds and springs are all par for the course from what folks here have reported on these knives.

Edges were a bit ragged so I took it down to the shop and put a razor edge on all three blades with diamond followed by ceramic hones. Now she'll cut with the best of 'em.

Nice size (4.25" closed) and at 3.5 oz. not too heavy in the pocket either. Looks like it'll be a useful carry.
    FAQ RulesMembership Subscription Options Update Your User Group

fides, ut anima, unde abiit eo nunquam redit

Quote Originally Posted by Blues View Post
    Just received this afternoon an Eye Brand (Schlieper) carbon steel stockman (produced by Olbertz in Solingen).

The fit and finish was reasonably decent with no blade play in the clip or sheepfoot and a bit of play in the spey. Scales, grinds and springs are all par for the course from what folks here have reported on these knives.

Edges were a bit ragged so I took it down to the shop and put a razor edge on all three blades with diamond followed by ceramic hones. Now she'll cut with the best of 'em.

Nice size (4.25" closed) and at 3.5 oz. not too heavy in the pocket either. Looks like it'll be a useful carry.
    This is identical to the Schlieper pocketknife I've carried for a long time now. Mine is weird though in that the yellow scales are about the color of butterscotch pudding instead of the bright canary yellow I love to see. The other EYE BRAND yellow ones in my collection are a bight shade of yellow indeed.
    I blued the spey and sheepfoot blades on my carry knife while leaving the main clip blade to perservere on it's own in the the journey to cured blackness. I do NOT think it is, not do I choose to use the word "patina", cause it ain't a patina !!!
    And so it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by WIL TERRY View Post
    This is identical to the Schlieper pocketknife I've carried for a long time now. Mine is weird though in that the yellow scales are about the color of butterscotch pudding instead of the bright canary yellow I love to see. The other EYE BRAND yellow ones in my collection are a bright shade of yellow indeed.
    That seems a pretty apt description. Definitely appears to be on the taupe or tan side of yellow. I like it though.

(P.S... The image above is from a vendor website but it is very close and representative except for the much nicer edge bevels mine has now.)

That seems a pretty apt description. Definitely appears to be on the taupe or tan side of yellow. I like it though.

(P.S... The image above is from a vendor website but it is very close and representative except for the much nicer edge bevels mine has now.)
    You know what, I forgot to mention the SUPERB steel in these EYE BRAND knives. It takes an edge so smooth and keen it can jump out and bite you if you're not careful. I warn folks I hand the knife to to be "careful or it'll bite you". This was after seeing half the folks cutting themselves accidently with my pocketknife. The only other stockman I think is even comparable to this 4 1/4" EYE BRAND is the large CASE 4 1/4" CV stockman [ number 3375 CV if memory serves.] A ceramic hone will put an edge on these that is truly scary sharp.
    The funny part about having a truly sharp knife is NO ONE who uses it seemingly has ever used a sharp knife before !! I guess having a Daddy who owned a butcher shop put the idea that sharp knives were the only way to go in the forefront for me. The other startling thing is how fast my wife can ruin a really sharp edge on a really good blade. I DO NOT KNOW HOWINTHE'ELL SHE DOES IT !! She can also lose an anvil in a phone booth.
    And so it goes...

And so it goes...
    Why do I keep expecting to see Kurt Vonnegut walking out of the wings?

I have a couple of those 6375's (CV) in my lineup. One from the 80's, one from the late 90's.

I touched one up recently. It'll be interesting to see how they might compare over time.

In the heart of darkness. Learning the secrets of the mighty Douk-douk.

Couldn't help but post as I'm carrying that very knife today, heck of a good work companion. I know what you mean about the not-so-yellow, yellow handles. Great cutting fistfull of knife though. Comparing the color to the Bulldog below...

Like the brighter yellow better.

Wil,

If you don't already have one of these, you might want to give a gander to this Moore Maker (Queen) stockman at 4 3/8", yellow bone and 1095 :

I sure like mine.

Wil,

If you don't already have one of these, you might want to give a gander to this Moore Maker (Queen) stockman at 4 3/8", yellow bone and 1095 :

I sure like mine.
    I have one of those, Sir. I have never used it. I also have a bunch of the other high grade MM knives all in yellow bone. So far I have not got around to using any of them either. And tell me, is that the prettiest yellow bone you ever laid eyes upon ??!! WOOOEEE, that is some nice looking stuff. My main collecting interest is 4-blade stockman and 4-blade congress knives. When I first saw the MM 5-blade yellow bone stockman I about swooned, WOWOOEE !!
    And it just came to me I also have the full set of the Camillus YELO-JAKET pocketknives also.
    AND LASTLY : I think this is one of the most interesting pocketknife threads ever here on Bladeforums. If there are three things I am absolutely queer for it is single action sixguns, lever action rifles and carbines, and YELLOW HANDLED pocketknives
    And so it is..

Wil Terry, it sounds like you have quite a nice collection of yeller slip joints.

Might make a great group picture to add to this thread

Here is a vintage Shadow pattern marked, Henry Sears & Son, 1865, in Yellow Celluloid. This was the old premium celluloid that was pre-cured(which pre-shrank the scales for a precise fit) used in the 19th century. Note the distinctive faint lines that can be seen in the scales.

Anthony

Wow Anthony, I had no idea yella handles went that far back!!!

Nive knife by the way.

Sunny, that is a great old celluloid. I think it would be very interesting to watch them make some of that wonderful patterned material. I have no idea what it would entail. Here is another yellow Carl Schlieper stockman. This one is a full 4.75 inches. The yellow is dark and has a certain translucency that I have not seen on other knives.

As a point of (hopefully) related interest, here is the same knife in a line-up of stockmen. The smallest is a 34OT Old Timer, and the largest is another Carl Schlieper, at a full 5.5 inches closed. The others, from smaller to larger, are a Schrade/IXL in bone, at the standard 3 7/8 inches, a Case XX/USA 6375 in red bone at 4 5/16 inches, a 858OT Old Timer at 4 5/8 inches, and a Schrade IXL ebony jumbo at 4 7/8 inches. I hope I am not straying too far off the thread here. Thanks.

I've got a Case Barehead Slimline Trapper and a Peanut in Chrome Vanadium in yellow Delrin on their way just because of this thread.

I can't wait to get them so I can peel some Granny Smith apples to get that awesome, gunmetal, battleship gray patina on them...

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information