Thread: Legality of axis lock knives...?

Legality of axis lock knives...?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi all, I spent an hour or so this morning reading all the way through the recent USPS knife-shipping thread (very interesting; it sounds like the consensus is that shipping knives is perfectly legal as long as it is well packaged and not an auto). It occurred to me that my beloved Benchmade 940 and 707 axis locks (as well as any similar designs, including SOGs arc-lock) can probably be interpreted as gravity or flick knives, since you can push the lock back without touching the blade and flick the blade open with no resistance.

Ignoring the fact that pretty much any non-slippy folder can be flicked open by a motivated person, and therefore could be put in the same legal category as switch-blades, what do you all think about legality of the axis system?

(On a side note, I figure that these laws are intended to allow confiscation and prosecution on the part of officers when they find someone up to no good, as opposed to stopping the average person from carrying his or her tool of choice on a day-to-day basis. That is to say, I imagine cops would be pretty lenient in most cases as long as you don't give them a good reason not to be)

go browse the knife laws forum there are a bunch of topics about this subject.

Shhhhh, don't ask. They just might make it illegal.

It seems to be dependent on the interpretation of the law in a given area or in this case the USPS shipping terms. People ask this about different places in the Knife Law forum in regards to the Axis lock. I really like this particular locking method, but wouldn't carry one because of the legality issue.

I think in reality it comes down to behavior and the situation. If you are an A-hole, chances are you'll get in trouble. If you are just minding your own business and are polite, you'll be alright. That and how knife friendly the area you are in is.

IF they ever ask you to open it and demonstrate what kind it is, just make sure to use both hands, very sticky lock you know?

Oh sorry, I scanned for a related forum but must have not looked closely enough. I'll check it out.

I'm sure the standard blue class axis knives are intended to be legal for regular use. Seems like it would be OK as long as you aren't using to mug someone.. Especially the 707; that little thing looks more cute than harmful. Awesome little pocket-mate.

Quote Originally Posted by jesseaction View Post
    Oh sorry, I scanned for a related forum but must have not looked closely enough. I'll check it out.

I'm sure the standard blue class axis knives are intended to be legal for regular use. Seems like it would be OK as long as you aren't using to mug someone.. Especially the 707; that little thing looks more cute than harmful. Awesome little pocket-mate.
    the black class has plenty of knives that make good edc knives because they are solid, f&f is good and the designs work (presidios, spear point strykers, rift, even their autos).

what might get you in trouble is you can hold an axis knife with the handle upside down at about the bottom of the pocket clip and "throw" it down and snap it open which is really close to be an inertia opening. if you think a LEO is going to ask to see it crank your pivot down and just deal with it opening slow.

you can also tighten the pivot screw to keep the knife from being flicked open....

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    you can also tighten the pivot screw to keep the knife from being flicked open....
    Not sure if all of them can be tightened enough to prevent it. May be a good solution though.

Quote Originally Posted by riz_aaroni View Post
    Not sure if all of them can be tightened enough to prevent it. May be a good solution though.
    if it doesn't have a pivot bushing like a sebenza it can be tightened enough to prevent it from being opend by inertia, one hand or possibly by both hands if its tight enough.

Quote Originally Posted by spidyman View Post
    if it doesn't have a pivot bushing like a sebenza it can be tightened enough to prevent it from being opend by inertia, one hand or possibly by both hands if its tight enough.
    Makes sense. Sadly all of this is easily avoidable if the law was clear and logical.

Thread Information