Thread: Laguiole Arbalete G David

Laguiole Arbalete G David

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi guys
    Does anyone have any experience with those?

They have a well-deserved reputation for quality workmanship and materials, as well as the unusual but effective design. As someone posted recently, it's a slipjoint that feels almost like a lockback. Blade is 12C27 (.6% carbon), a Scandanavian steel used in Finish puukkos and Norwegian knives. I found this one on eBay for under $20US, so they don't have to be pricey, though you can spend a lot more.

In the heart of darkness. Learning the secrets of the mighty Douk-douk.
    Have two Laguioles by other makers (French) and they are very nice knives, surprisingly tough too considering the artistic appearance. The only thing about the damn things that bothers me is the French never figured out the idea of a blade kick saving the edge from contacting the back of the spring. Just a little effort to stone out the dings but a pain nonetheless.

These are decent user grade Laguioles. If you are looking for some thing much nicer, look at Fontenille Pataud. These come with a blade kick too.

I'd recommend looking at the knives still made in Laguiole being Forge de Laguiole, Couteau de Laguiole and L'Artisan de Laguiole. There is one or two others that escape me at the moment. Current Calmels are made outside the region but excellent quality.

Look for older Calmels with just the Calmels stamp (vs Hors Concours). These can command a high dollar though.

Cheers,

Here's thread that will be helpful with info and pics. Cheers.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...light=laguiole

Good afternoon. I don't have any experience with the Laguiole Arbalete G David knives. However, I have in the last couple months acquired two F. Patauds and a R. Chazeau, Theirs. (by selling alot of my other tradtionals!)The R. Chazeau (11cm) is an excellent everyday user with very aromatic olivewood handles. Solid lockup, alligator snap, and overall am very pleased with it. Decent price point for me too.

I bought the 9cm F.P. and am pleased with it as well. Afterall you get what you pay for, right? It is my "good, Sunday, dress up" knife with walnut handles. Steel is O.K. but I am partial to good ole fashioned carbon blades.

I decided to splurge and ordered a 11cm F.P. with juniper handles and carbon blades. Holy smoke!! It's been my EDC for work, play and everything inbetween. My other EDC's are extremely jealous of the pocket time this one gets!

All 3 of my Laguioles have the blade stops which is important to me because many times I don't gently fold the blade into the handle the way your supposed to.?.? The handles are all wooden and very aromatic too.

If you read the various stuff out there about "authentic" versus "replica" Laguioles, you could spend hours because of how much info is out there.

So back to your original question about experience with Laguiole Arbalete G David, No I don't have any experience with them, but the ones I do have experience with are very, very favorable. Try it an see. I'd be interested to know as well.

Matt

I love my L'Artisan de Laguiole with snakewood scales and brass bolsters. It sits on my dinner table, ready for use.

You do have to be cautious buying them off of eBay. I have seen many fake Laguioles there, often for large amounts of money.

-- Sam

I don't have experience with Laguiole Arbalete G David but the Forge de Laguiole knife I got last year as a gift from my brother-in-law is really nice (he liked it so much he went back and got one for himself). This is starting to become my fishing knife. It opens very smoothly and has a serious snap when it closes. Comfortable in the hand and great blade geometry. Well made and the T-12 blade take a seriously sharp edge.

Thread Information