Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best folding knife for daily carry?

Best folding knife for daily carry?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello,
    I'm wondering what your opinions are for the best daily carry folding knife. The one I'm looking at now is the Wilson Tactical Delta Wave

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/kniveswt...l/spec-ops.asp

Any advice or alternatives is greatly appreciated. I'm willing to pay up to $500. Thank you!

Welcome to Bladeforums! In order to get a proper response, you'll have to narrow down what you are looking for. Just asking what is the "best folding knife" and a top price of $500 will only end in frustration. That is simply too broad a range to get any practical answers. What do you want to use it for? Production or custom? What are the laws in your area in regards to knife carry? See what I mean? Spend some time here, ask a few questions and then make a more informed decision. Best of luck

p.s I vote for the Doug Ritter Griptilian, http://www.aeromedix.com/product-exe..._Folding_Knife

As to the indicated Wilson knife, I think it may be over-priced.

What size of a knife are you looking for? Smallish (3 inch blade or so) or largish (about 4 inch blade).
    Last edited by orthogonal1; 08-13-2009 at 09:29 AM.

ZT 0200/0300/0400/0500

Look at those. For $500 you can get a few awesome knives, or a great custom!

Spyderco Caly 3!!! This knife is a beast! Perfect size, perfect ergos, and a monster cutting edge!

ooooh I am going to be the first to mention it! Get a Chris Reeve knife Sebenza with graphics or a Umnumzaan Or a Strider SMF SNG or a Hinderer XM 18 or a Spyderco Military or para military Kershaw ZT range or a kershaw outburst! You can pick and choose for $500 between the best out there!

+1 on the Sebenza. I have the large plain model and it is a perfect EDC. It is a fantastic carry knife. The graphic sebenenzas are nice but I like the plain for every day carry because I don't care if I scratch it up. They are terrific users.
    "The knife is the universal means of resolving all knots."

Quote Originally Posted by jdegg79 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm wondering what your opinions are for the best daily carry folding knife. The one I'm looking at now is the Wilson Tactical Delta Wave

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/kniveswt...l/spec-ops.asp

Any advice or alternatives is greatly appreciated. I'm willing to pay up to $500. Thank you!
    I think its sweet, I would get it.
    The first sharpening
    The Burr
    How to make a strop

For sharpening inquiries email me at: traditionalsharpening@gmail.com
    Free return shipping on orders over $50

If you put 100 people in a room they would probably all have a different opinion on what the best EDC would be. I usually carry a Spyderco Millie,Para or one of a few Kershaw smaller folders. Some feel the Millie is a bit large but it is comfortable for me. I won't buy anything not made in the USA.

Buck Mayo Waimea, really nice small EDC knife with an S30V blade.

for $500 you could get a sebenza and another lower end knife of your choosing

Quote Originally Posted by BenchmadeBoy View Post
    Welcome to Bladeforums! In order to get a proper response, you'll have to narrow down what you are looking for. Just asking what is the "best folding knife" and a top price of $500 will only end in frustration. That is simply too broad a range to get any practical answers. What do you want to use it for? Production or custom? What are the laws in your area in regards to knife carry? See what I mean? Spend some time here, ask a few questions and then make a more informed decision. Best of luck
    I agree with BenchmadeBoy.
    You'll have to tell us more about how you plan to use the EDC and what type of environment you'll be in, and what type of clothing you'll be wearing.

For example: I work in a hospital all day and wear scrubs, so a heavy knife is out of the question since I just have a drawstring and no belt.
    And a large blade is also out of the question since I don't want to terrify my patients or my co-workers.
    So my hospital work EDC is a Spyderco MeerKat.
    It's perfect for my specific work needs.

Outside of work I prefer a larger blade, and weight isn't as much of an issue.

Here are two of my most recent EDC's....

The Buck-Mayo TNT:

A older Discontinued Benchmade-Elishewitz Mini-Darkstar:

Both are nice and light-weight, which is good for lighter summer clothing, even swim trunks.

CRK Sebenza

With a $500 budget and a first choice of an expensive "operator's" knife, I have to ask, what job are you performing in daily life?

Unless you're on SWAT callout, the knife type specified largely indicates a desire to carry something to bolster a self image deficiency. Don't go there.

If you are LEO/military, pick up an Endura from the local knife shop or PX. It'll do.

High end uber tackycool knives from suppliers who don't specialize in them mean you get something made by somebody else. I suspect Wilson doesn't have a clue about making knives. They are a 1911 range gun maker - which also doesn't mean they specialize in combat pistols. Really, Browning, Glock, Beretta, SIG, HK, and Walther do that. Nobody issues a 1911. It's obsolete.

An EDC knife has a lot of competing jobs to do, and some onerous local requirements. I'd slow down and look for something in the $50 range to start. No sense making an expensive mistake because the job turned out completely different from the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken44 View Post
    CRK Sebenza

+1 or 2 or 3 or 4

Plus you'll have enough left over to get yourself a griptilian.Axis-lock,It doesn't get any smoother than that!

Good Luck & Welcome to Bladeforums

Decide on the jobs it will encounter as an EDC, choose a premium steel by a top maker, a good grind that will do the jobs you've identified, then choose one you like the looks of. IMO you can't beat a good drop point blade with a solid lock up when open. SOG has some great offerings along with the ones the other guys have suggested.

Benchmade Mini RSK Mk1.

Kershaw RAM in desert ironwood, (or cocobolo, or buckeye burl, or whatever), with a Grip Clip. Spend the money you saved on a good bottle of scotch.

Dam Phillip!Those are some fine looking RAM's

I gotta send you some knives soon.

At the risk of sounding pedestrian, a SAK is really hard to beat at any price. If you want a single high dollar knife what about a Case/ Bose collab?

Frank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information