Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Sodbuster

Case Sodbuster

ADVERTISEMENT
    Are the case sodbuster/jr. good knives (for the price)? ANy information about the steel used? Also wht is the blace length on both of them, all I could find is the closed length. I need a cheap non-locking folder for carrying in Boston where the laws are pretty strict, and people are terrified of anything locking thanks!

EDIT: I also saw the Queen Country Cousin in D2 at around the same price, would that one be better?
    Last edited by KnifeTurtle; 08-20-2009 at 04:39 PM.

just get 1 or 2 or 3...... great knives.

lol yeah for 20 bucks its great and yes the d2 would be better steel by far!!! but the sodbuster is pretty good too! not real sure what steel it is but I have one and it takes a decent edge from me and I suck at sharpening!!

here'sa good thread about them from the traditional forum:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=650787

i bought a Queen after reading this. I love it. I have a Queen, Case, and a Brown Mule. The Case is the sharpest and best looking. The Queen is put together best and feels sturdiest. The Brown Mule feels like it was made by primitive methods but it is still ok.

Get one! The Case Sodbuster is my only slippie.

They're absolutely wonderful, especially the ones with CV blades. For the price, I'd pick up a couple just to have around.

I love my Case CV Yellow Handle Sodbuster Jr.! Price, steel, construction, ... Just can't be beat!

Picked up a case jr. sodbuster on ebay for 13 dollars :O hope it's as good as y'all say it is

Another vote for the CV steel version. The sodbuster is a great knife and CV steel - while it's not a new super steel - is just grand. I'd just as soon have the CV as D2. And I'm a recovering steel snob.

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeTurtle View Post
    Picked up a case jr. sodbuster on ebay for 13 dollars :O hope it's as good as y'all say it is
    Just saw you bought a sodbuster - good job. I hope you got the CV version because it is much better than the stainless version. But if you did get the Stainless you can still pick up a CV one day.

Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by plowboy View Post
    Just saw you bought a sodbuster - good job. I hope you got the CV version because it is much better than the stainless version. But if you did get the Stainless you can still pick up a CV one day.

Congratulations.

I'm pretty sure i got a ss version, how do you tell the difference?

The stamp on the tang of the blade should have a serial number/code on it. If it ends with SS, it's stainless. CV stands for chromium vanadium. If you want, you can also just use it to cut some potatoes or anything acidic and see if it develops a patina.

I have a Case. I didn't care for the blade shape (not enough of a point.

So I bought a Queen country cousin and am happy with it.

Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

There awesome. I have both Stainless and CV. Stainless one was convex by Bark River knife and tools
    Rat Pack #269

INFANTRYMAN
    Proud Supporter of JK knives #54
    Beckerhead #073

How good quality did you find the stainless? What is the hardness relative to some other steels? I spent so little on it it doesn't matter that much but I'd like it to be fair quality.

I find Case Tru-Sharp to hold an edge less well than Buck 420HC.
    I find Case CV to hold an edge about the same as Buck 420HC.

I find the Queen D2 to be quite a bit better in edge retention.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

I say for the price of these things, I don't really care what steel it is....here's one I recently re-handles in FOD's micarta.....

I have a Yellow handled Soddie in CV. I love that steel. It has a great patina and is scary sharp.
    "The knife is the universal means of resolving all knots."

Sod busters are great pocket knives. You can find a few different styles but Case small with CV steel is one of my favorites. I have seen some stunning customs come out of the "Makers Forum". Which ever you have should fair well for you.

I love my case sodbuster junior in CV. My favorite slipjoint by far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information