Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel Medium Voyager

Question Cold Steel Medium Voyager

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just bought a Cold Steel medium Voyager (Clip Point), just because I wanted to see what a CS knife was like.

It should be here in 2-3 days.

I generally would say I don't like Cold Steel but as of late I've been trying to keep an open mind about buying even if I just want to try them out or evaluate them. I generally just don't like Cold Steel's marketing practices but other than that I don't know much about them.

Plus I saw this quote from back in 2005 or 2006 maybe:

Per Sal Glesser-- "I should comment that I introduced Cold Steel to their lock-back maker and they use our geometries in making their lock-backs."

With that said I would guess they make some good strong lock-backs.

The Medium Clip Point Voyager just looked like a simple no-nonsense good knife. I guess CS only has a 1 year warranty but I really don't care for this one knife.

So we'll see. This will have been the first folding knife that is not Spyderco that I have bought in a long time........other than the CQC-10 I bought earlier this year.

Anyone have one, or have an opinion of them?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss

I have several, including the one you just ordered. Nice knives. Very, very sharp!

I ordered a Large Espada yesterday.
    I have several Cold Steel knives, and have no problem with them.
    I have a Vaquero Grande, 5" Gunsite and 5" Voyager clip.
    To me they are great user-friendly knives with especially strong lock-backs.
    Even the AUS-8A steel used on the blades is acceptable to me.
    Takes a good edge, keeps it for an acceptable time period.

You'll like the new knife.

Don't pay any attention to the CS HATERS on this board.

CS makes some very solid blades.

The VG-1 steel blade on the Voyager holds an edge a very long time.

Be careful when you get it, they come extremely sharp out of the box.

CS makes some good stuff, but they also make some goofy stuff too.
    The Med Voyager is one I have on my list so someday Ill check it out

CS Voyagers are tough, light, strong folders that you can depend on. They will take an incredible amount of abuse. The AUS8 has a pinch of vanadium and takes a great edge. The high thin grind which makes them excellent slicers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberta Ed View Post
    CS Voyagers are tough, light, strong folders that you can depend on. They will take an incredible amount of abuse. The AUS8 has a pinch of vanadium and takes a great edge. The high thin grind which makes them excellent slicers.
    They are VG-1 not AUS8.

I bought the Med. and the Lrg. quite a few years ago . They were the second generation ones with the better clips,fatter handles , and improved checkering. Problem was , I got them both serrated. I ground off the serrations on the Med. and hollow-ground it , and left the Lrg. serrated as a Tactical folder. Very good knives IMO. and the locks are real positive. The most practical folders CS makes .

It's funny that you mention Spyderco. My first thought when I think of a CS Voyager is that it is a good knife, but Spyderco makes a better version. I do like that they offer a tanto point, which you don't see in Spydies, but the fit-and-finish, ergonomics, blade steel, and other aspects are superior in the Delica and Endura.

That said, I think if you like to collect knives, you have to try a CS Voyager at some point.

One other thing, the "Medium" Voyager is actually rather small.
    Last edited by lava_lamp; 09-09-2009 at 09:23 PM.

I dont understand all the hate towards CS. I think the knives they make are great quality and easily compare to all the other big name knife makers. Plus they arent super expensive.

But i do agree that a lot of the stuff they make is just ridiculous and impractical. for example: the Largest Espada they make (the blade is over 7 inches!), their "Dart gun", and that hairbrush with a stileto in it.

But thats no reason to hate them. If you dont like those products, then dont buy them! and buy the solid knives they have.

I have a Recon 1 Clip point and that thing can take some abuse! plus i really like their ultra locks (which i know are just BM axis locks, but thats no reason not to like them! theyre just as good!)

I have the large one, I love it, Good size knife, not to heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by ThornStrike View Post
    I dont understand all the hate towards CS...
    I don't know if this was directed at me or merely followed my post, but just to be clear: I don't hate CS. I love their "Proof" videos and have bought three of their knives. But I do think the Spyderco FRN models are better than the Voyagers.

Quote Originally Posted by ThornStrike View Post

But i do agree that a lot of the stuff they make is just ridiculous and impractical. for example: the Largest Espada they make (the blade is over 7 inches!), their "Dart gun", and that hairbrush with a stileto in it.
    Maybe it is ridiculous, but I am going to get one anyways. How often can one buy a one-hand opening, 7.5 inch bladed folder with a bowie blade?

When the zombies come a'calling, it can lop off their heads in one swipe.

Quote Originally Posted by lava_lamp View Post
    I don't know if this was directed at me or merely followed my post, but just to be clear: I don't hate CS. I love their "Proof" videos and have bought three of their knives. But I do think the Spyderco FRN models are better than the Voyagers.
    It wasnt directed towards you at all. I've just noticed a lot of people on this forum, and in the general knife community, seem to have something against Cold Steel. although most of the time it seems they just have a problem with Lynn Thompson and have never actually bought a CS blade. honestly i could care less about Lynn and his marketing and whatever people complain about him. I just think that Cold Steel makes quality knives at a good price.

When compared to Spyderco lock backs,you will notice that the voyagers they take alot more effort to unlock and open, because of the tension created by the large spring.Not to mention, a deeper blade tang cutout and a longer lock bar tip making the need for a boyd dent unneccessary.IMHO

The Spydercos may look a little prettier in a side-by side but I think for the money, the Voyager has a better lock and that clip point they offer is just about the perfect blade shape. Out of box sharpness is about equal between the spydies and voyagers i've owned.

I think you pretty much can't go too wrong with any Seki made FRN handled lockback. The Spydies will get you better steel but I actually liked the texture on the Voyager's handles better. YMMV

Frank

I had the large Voyager PE clip blade and I would purchase another one in a heart beat!

I bought a 4" voyager tanto for a beater folder and its a good knife. On par with Spyderco's FRN handle knives although I like Spyderco's serrations better.
    "I had no fear of falling anymore. I had no fear of anything so insignificant. Because my whole soul, petty as it was and always had been, knew fears id never imagined before." -Anne Rice-

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    I had several Voyagers, going on almost ten years ago. One large one, and two smaller ones, the medium size models. Tanto and clip. Both were great, and I think that the Voyager could be CS's flagship model. I believe they were made in Japan, and I think my models were AUS8. Forget all of the goofy folders they make, the Voyagers were great knives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information