Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best USA Made Axe?

Best USA Made Axe?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Who makes the best USA made production axe?

Thanks!

I'd say Snow&Nealley.

Saw some Stihl axes at Ace that looked great. But not US I guess Doh.

I'm not sure Snow & Nealley axes qualify for "made in the USA" anymore. I think the heads are imported, then finish ground and hafted here. This change occurred after the company was sold not too long ago. And unless I missed it, their site does not say "made in the USA" anywhere either, for what that's worth. They're still nice axes though, from what I've seen.

The only ones made in USA that I know of for sure are Estwing. Decent, hardworking tools, I like them.
    "...I know where we’ve come from — I carry a key with me and I don’t forget. I know where we’re going, too — I’ve dropped blood to this Earth, not much different than mine, and seen it rise from the grass again."

-Dean Torges
    "Hunting the Osage Bow"

i bot an old PLUMB axe at the flea market several years ago. done everything i asked of it. dont hear too much about the plumb axe/ hatchets around here. wonder why ???? paul

Are Estwing axes made in the USA?

They seem to be very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by rifon2 View Post

I think Estwing is still made in the USA. A geologist's pick I got from them was made in the USA and that was a couple of years ago.

I think that Vaughn and Bushnell is still made in the USA as well. I was really heartbroken when I discovered that Collins no longer made axes here in the USA

Collins mauls use to be the very best available. Their USA made axes were very nice. I think someone told me that Barco were still made here in the USA but I'm not 100% sure.

Council Tool axes are made in the US and reasonably priced.

If you would count assembled in the US then lovingly modded by a knife/axe knut who was made in the USA then I say go for a Snow and Neally from Brian Andrews at Off The Map Outfitters. I think Vaughn is made in the USA and you can get them cheap through Amazon, but I dont know if the quality is that great.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Off The Map Outfitters modified axe is very well done!

Council Tool is the other American axe maker. Surprising number of models.

http://www.counciltool.com/index.asp

Thanks for the pointer to Council Tool!

Quote Originally Posted by rifon2 View Post

Rockford Ill.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    I think someone told me that Barco were still made here in the USA but I'm not 100% sure.

The Barco hatchets I heve seen in hardware stores were imported.

I recently bought a Plumb hatchet, thinking they were still US made, but it had a Taiwan sticker on it. If Blue Sky is right, that Snow and Nealey heads are imported, then Council in NC may be the only US maker other than Estwing. Very sad, but I have been turning toward Sweden and Finland for cutlery of all types lately.

I found a ax marked Mann Lewistown PA, it is a big one 5 3/4 lbs 9 in long. do not know a lot about Mann company but this seems like a first class ax.

True Temper is a neat old name. I am sure extinct however, but I have a couple I am re handling.

Blue Sky is right, Snow and Nealley heads are imported. Gemplers has a Corona ax listed as made in USA. Anyone know anything about the Corona?

The top Corona professional saws are very good (not quite a Silky, but very good). I haven't tried their axes.

Council Tool was featured in one of those Modern Marvels shows on History Channel ("Axes"). They showed the entire manufacturing process and quality control checks. I've never used one of their axes but I was pretty favorably impressed with their manufacturing process.

DancesWithKnives

One thing about Council Tool axes that makes me wonder is that their website states they are heat treated to 45-55 Rc. Seems like quite a broad range of allowable hardness, too broad I think.
    "...I know where we’ve come from — I carry a key with me and I don’t forget. I know where we’re going, too — I’ve dropped blood to this Earth, not much different than mine, and seen it rise from the grass again."

-Dean Torges
    "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information