ZDP-189 - Best blade steel so far
ZDP-189 is the best blade steel (by far) that I've ever used in a folding knife, bar none, end of story. I have cut with, scraped with, performed "twisting" cuts on zip ties (you name it) with my burgundy Calypso Junior. The edge stays laser sharp for long periods of time and touch-ups on the Sharpmaker are a snap. Now when ZDP actually gets dull dull, it admittedly takes the diamond triangles to get the party started, but if you only need a touch up, the dark triangles will suffice to get the touch-up going with the white stones finishing things off.
There is no wire edge problems. No edge rolling. None of that nightmarish stuff associated with sharpening and maintaining the old 440V and to some extent today's S30V. And VG-10, while a good blade steel, DOES NOT hold an edge anywhere near as good as this ZDP stuff. Take a look at your VG-10 edge after a couple of days of EDC using a jeweler's loupe. See those "flat" places? Yup, 90% of your edge is still screaming sharp. The other 10% is flat spotted and ready for a touch up. As much as I like VG-10, after using ZDP the stuff seems soft and in need of "kid glove" treatment.
In my honest opinion, after having used ZDP (and using it hard), I think it is the best bargain in the pocket cutlery world. Some of these Spyderco models that use this blade steel are quite simply, for what you are getting, a world class steal.
Can't wait for the full flat ground Endura with ZDP. Sheesh. That's gonna be a workin' man's knife fer shure!
Anybody else blown away by this steel??
"The trouble with karate...is that it's based on the ridiculous assumption that the other guy'll fight fair..." - Jim Rockford (The Rockford Files)