Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inglorious Basterds bowie?

Inglorious Basterds bowie?

ADVERTISEMENT

Quote Originally Posted by sawgrass7 View Post
    hey Robert B - how about a couple nice close-up pics of that Bowie?

Who's the maker? It looks fantastic! thanks
    Alright I havnt noticed a thread about this, but I was wondering if anyone knows the maker of the bowie on inglorious basterds that belongs to Lt. Aldo Raine, havnt been able to find many pictures of it.

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2009...stards_004.jpg

^^^ close up of blade profile.

Any info appreciated, love a good movie knife

Looks like a Smith & Wesson bowie with the logo polished off and a prop department-added guard and stag handle.

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Looks like a Smith & Wesson bowie with the logo polished off and a prop department-added guard and stag handle.

Maybe, but the tip doesn't look quite right, it looks like there's a more extreme curve towards the tip.
    A repeat of history would mostly not be a good thing.

The guard doesn't look right

maybe they changed out the guard as well? does look alot like it with the profile...

If it is they've done some reprofiling. The tip doesn't look quite right, and the one from the movie has a long flat piece on the edge where the S&W is curved through the whole thing, the choil looks longer in the movie one too. It could just be the pictures making it look that way though. I'd say they probably just had one made.
    A repeat of history would mostly not be a good thing.

Looks like this one.

profile is out on the blade but that is a real nice piece...when it comes to a bowie i wont own one that doesnt rust (i love the look of black metal with a traditional blade).

I'm half tempted to go custom made for something like this.

Brian Lyttle from Alberta made several knives for Brad Pitt including the one he used in Legends of the Fall. He also made prop knives for other films: The Edge, Lonesome Dove, The Assassination of Jesse James. Could be one of his, or not....
    Jerry ~

Quote Originally Posted by GWashington1732 View Post
    Maybe, but the tip doesn't look quite right, it looks like there's a more extreme curve towards the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.L. View Post
    The guard doesn't look right
    Bear in mind that everything looks a little off since the photo is taken at a slight angle. The guard being different makes sense. If they modified the piece they probably made not only a new handle for it, but also a guard to go with it and make it look more "period." It's not at all uncommon for prop departments to save themselves some time by modifying an off-the-shelf product.

Not saying it's actually what they used, but it looks remarkably similar to me.

Some more pictures I was able to find online (not mine)

my guess

I say its a cheap POS from china and its purely junk.But the movie was cool and ended in a surprise for me.As a jew I really liked it cause there was PAYBACK - and imnsho thats always good.

Cool Movie

i think it's coming out on dvd middle of dec. i'm looking forward to getting it!

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Bear in mind that everything looks a little off since the photo is taken at a slight angle. The guard being different makes sense. If they modified the piece they probably made not only a new handle for it, but also a guard to go with it and make it look more "period." It's not at all uncommon for prop departments to save themselves some time by modifying an off-the-shelf product.

Not saying it's actually what they used, but it looks remarkably similar to me.
    looks pretty close either way for the profile...and i agree with what you've said, i consider it case closed because even the spine has that little bow to it like the movie prop.

and here i was thinkin' that it was some kinda modified Western bowie, duh!
    but what a movie, huh?!
    it actually was more entertainin' than what i had come to expect from the likes of monsieur director, quentin tarantino.

i'm a QT fan big time he over did some scenes but overall i liked it...the ending was a kicker.

According to the movie, it makes for a great skinning knife.

Quote Originally Posted by amen74 View Post
    According to the movie, it makes for a great skinning knife.
    more so a carving implement

The tip can work wonders...
    Just watch your head...

I think the Bark River Knife Hunting Bowie model #
    1855 CR Sambar Crown is the closest shape

here's another picture for comparison

it's certainly possible they made a custum one for the movie hard to tell size from the shots I've seen so far.
    -G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information