Thread: Buck gen 5 skinner tested and approved!

Buck gen 5 skinner tested and approved!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Let me say i'm just a hun ter,not a guide,but i do a lot of caping/skinning for other hunters for a guide,and have had my gen 5 for 2 seasons now.Its the 420 hc and grey diamondwood version.I have put the knife to the test on whitetails,black bears,and all around camp cutting,and can't find a bad thing to say about this knife if i tried.

Lots of feild dressing ,skinning and butchering over the years will tell you if a knife is good or bad,this gen 5 is a winner,the handles fit my hand great ,the blade geometry is nearly perfect,the edge stays forever,what can i say ,if you hunt and fish or just want a great little knife,the gen 5 is the ticket.

I should mention i have buck 110's in bg-42 that are on the same level as this 420 regular steel,it just plain outcuts many other knives for some reason.

I 'm looking into getting a gen 5 with sambar stag scales somehow.

Im really glad to hear this. I have been looking at picking one up for some time as a new hunting knife, but was hesitant based on very limited reviews. Thanks for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZORBLADES View Post
    I 'm looking into getting a gen 5 with sambar stag scales somehow.
    Thanks for the report! Cableas has one currently with Elk slabs
    jb4570

I saw the Cabelas knife,but they won't ship it to Canada,or any other knife for that matter,not sure why as they are perfectly legal,I walk around with a 119 on my belt and have never heard anyone complain,nor do they stare,pretty easy going community though.lol

I wonder if I

I also have the Gen 5 in 420HC and field dressed 2 deer with it this season. Worked great but now I need to touch it up before next season. I have searched but can't find any info on what degree to use with my Sharpmaker. Any suggestions?

Buck's sheet that came w/ my recent 110 AG, says 13-16* angle . DM

I have both the 005GYS and the rosewood/brass/CPM154/leather 005RWS 'upgrade'. I use the former, while the latter seems less comfortable with it's checkering and vertical belt leather sheath. I like the cheaper one due to it's sheeple-friendly horizontal belt (or vertical strap) carry nylon sheath - very secure/easy to get to. Mine is for hiking, etc - just the right size - really keeps an edge. Decent whittler, too. I've never been much for chopping, so I cannot attest to that - but it's likely a poor choice for that. I used 30 degree on a 110 with my Sharpmaker - likely do the same when the Gen5 really needs it. Despite being 2 yr old next Feb, it's still barely a hair popper.

The 005RWS, top above, is still 'like new' - at least until I sand away that checkering!

Stainz

Thanks for your help fellows, I touched it up this afternoon.

Smile

Glad to here this.
    I have one on order from the HOLIDAY40 sale.
    Just waiting for it to ship from factory.

Anybody know the thickness of the spine?

Thread Information