Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: "Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Over the next few weeks I thought, if there was some interest, I would post pictures of one or two vintage Sheffield knives, mostly made in the era before mechanization and mass production.

I would like to show this pristine sportsman's knife made by W Morton & Sons, Sheffield , C 1880 ?, the knife measures 4 1/4" closed, the pocket blade measures 3" (the pile side of which is faintly inscribed with a salesmans pattern number "D 7455 245").

If anyone has a knife they would like to show on this thread, you are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Mick

Very nice & this is gonna be cool,Thanks Mick!
    -Vince
    Please visit my website :
    http://www.vcmcustomknives.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wellington View Post
    Over the next few weeks I thought, if there was some interest, I would post pictures of one or two vintage Sheffield knives, mostly made in the era before mechanization and mass production.

Mick
    Yes Please!!!

Mick,

What material are the scales on this knife?

Ken

That knife looks like it could have come off the bench yesterday. What a beauty!

Could you provide details on scale material, steel and anything else that might be of interest?
    FAQ RulesMembership Subscription Options Update Your User Group

fides, ut anima, unde abiit eo nunquam redit

So Mick,are the scales black composition,or whatever they had (synthetic),at that time ? Or is that checkered wood ?
    TIA,
    -Vince
    Please visit my website :
    http://www.vcmcustomknives.com

Very nice Mick

I've got the popcorn popping! This is going to be a good show

Quote Originally Posted by VCM3 View Post
    So Mick,are the scales black composition,or whatever they had (synthetic),at that time ? Or is that checkered wood ?
    TIA,
    -Vince
    Thanks for all the responses guy's.

The scales are finely chequered ebony, I think the liners are nickel silver, as are the bearded bolsters, surface mounted escutcheon plate, and shackel.

Mick

Does this one fit in?

To find my SFOs and the dealers who carry them, check my developing website at:
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

[IMG][/IMG]
    Honorary Guardian of the Lamb Foot.

What a treat those pictures are, thank you for posting it here. I would love to touch it and caress it and..... ahhhh, sorry. That really is a beauty.

Waynorth: very nice indeed.

Mick, I keep going back to look at your wonderful knife! It is such a treasure; a step back in time!!
    And this is a great idea for a thread!!
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

[IMG][/IMG]

As Oliver Twist said;
    "Please Sir, I would like some more."
    Greg

Beautiful Mick - love the "bearded" bolsters

Waynorth - you're feedin' my congress fever!

Mike

I couldn't agree more. Great thread.
    Campbell

sheffield

wellington please show more. those square kicks are always a sign of old.crocus is really hard to photo. maybe some formite will tip us how to photo crocus polish. [black velvet] ??? thanks for a peek at one of the greatest all time oldies.

Thanks for the favourable comments on the W Morton & Sons knife, Vince, Ken, Elliott, 4ever3, waynorth, Kodiak, Greg, Mike, campbell and Dennis, the old knife is in stunning condition, it's clearly been very well looked after from new, a super thing. The knife is indeed crocus polished throughout (yes, really hard to photograph), a sign of top quality.

waynorth, thanks for adding the pictures of your great looking Joseph Rodgers congress, one of my favourite patterns, I love the ones with two sheepfoot blades, and it's from my favourite maker .

I'll post another knife a little later in the week, in the meantime should anyone want to add an example, please do so.

Mick

waynorth, Hi Charlie,

As this thread is showing Sheffield knives: 1830-1930, I fear that Congress of yours might be a little "late" for the thread? I would date that one after WWII.

Great idea for a thread, Mick. Superb Morton!

Jim Taylor.

Very nice Sheffields. I only have one. It's a family piece, don't have the slightest idea how old it is.

Thanks Jim, that is what I feared. However, I'm sure this one makes the grade!
    Appears in S-K's early catalog. The art of scratting bone was thought dead before 1900, but this knife is likely from after 1900.

www.waynorthcutlery.net

[IMG][/IMG]

That's a great one Charlie, love the stove pipe kick ! Isn't that one called a Coffee/ Pruner ?

Hi Charlie,

That's a superb old pruner and it certainly fits the thread. You're quite right about the scratted bone on that particular knife. I, too, thought that such "scratting" had been long forgotten. The "England" stamp is pretty certain to date the knife after 1891 as you know. Nevertheless, IT IS SCRATTED BONE!! Just another one of life's mysteries!

I'm very pleased that you weren't offended at my earlier comments regarding the Congress knife.

Jim Taylor.

Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread Information