Thread: Laguiole Folders

Question Laguiole Folders

ADVERTISEMENT
    I would like to add one, or more to my collection.
    Any suggestions?
    Tx, Ditch.

There are a few really good brands: Fontenille-Pataud, Laguiole-en-Aubrac and Forge de Laguiole are omong them. I have laguioles from the first two brands. A model to investigate, even if it's not fully traditional, is the very slick and smooth backlocking version that Fontenille-Pataud produces. Check HERE and marvel.

Thanks. I've been looking around and have seen some pretty nice examples. Orvis shows a very nice one, and I live near the store. Might have to check it out.

If you get a Laguiole, make sure it is one of the ones where the blade doesn't contact the backspring everytime you shut it.

Very annoying lack of a common feature of slipjoints.

Check out CHAMBRIARD. While maybe not a traditional laguiole, they do have some pretty nice looking knives.

I visited France in 1993. the French really like knives. Cutlery stores are everywhere, even small sized towns have one. i visited quite a few and each seemed to have a different array of Laguiole folders, with each shopkeeper assuring me that his were the 'real' ones. never did figure out what 'real' ones were.
    i bought these 3; the ebony Poyet-Coursolle is not traditional as it is a liner lock with a thumb stud.

i have no idea where these rank in Laguiole hierarchy, but all 3 are 'nice' well made knives.
    i had dinner with a family in LePuy. there was no sharp knife in the place setting at the head of the table. the father sat there. when time came to cut the meat on his plate, he reached down and pulled out his Laguiole folder from his belt sheath. same knife he always carried and used for everything.
    a traditional sign of the "man of the house". try it, you'll like it.
    roland

If you get a Laguiole, make sure it is one of the ones where the blade doesn't contact the backspring everytime you shut it.

Very annoying lack of a common feature of slipjoints.
    True. Respect for tradition is one thing, but preserving the ancient design errors is taking it too far! My backlocking Fontenille-Patauds don't suffer from this, and I gently close my other laguioles.

FYI most made in France laguioles feature Sandvik 12C27 steel which works perfectly fine in that knife.

Here's a picture with most of my laguioles (meanwhile I added a surprisingly nice made in china one):

From top to bottom:
    - a somewhat shorter Laguiole en Aubrac with horn tip handle - hence a bit more edc-able. My first laguiole and I still dearly love it.
    - a backlocking gentlemen laguiole from Fontenille-Pataud with blonde horn for the handle. Slick and chic!
    - a backlocking normal laguiole from Fontenille-Pataud with amourette (snakewood) handle. Excellent and smooth.
    - a standard laguiole "la Colombe" from a craftsman
    - a hunting laguiole variant from Puma, made in Spain. With cocobolo wood and 440C steel. A heavy but sturdy classic folder. See it as the laguiole variant of the Buck 110. Fontenille Pataud makes a more luxurious version on this theme.
    - a cheap yet surprisingly convincing damascus laguiole that originated in Pakistan. Camel bone handle. I don't really use it as a patina would spoil the lovely carbon steel damascus.

If you want to see the above knives in the hand, I made 2 video clips, the first one focuses on the fontenille-patauds and it includes a bit of history, the other one discusses the other laguioles.

Thread Information